1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm riding my bike there is still a bit of oil showing in the
"window"

Is this normal?

or should ALL the oil be circulating through the engine.

Thanks!

I'm going to live forever; so far so good

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
you might have alittle too much oil there, I can't look down at the window when I'm riding the bike, but if the bike is at idle and I'm holding it straight up, it looks like there is alittle oil laying there in mine...

doesn't sound like an issue to me....you would know pretty soon if oil wasn't circulating right ;)

mines an 02 us model....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wait a tick...

You can look in your oil window while you're riding??? Hot dayam, you should put out a video - your talent is WAY beyond this forum...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dammit Andy... you beat my post by some 25 seconds... ARGH... now mine isn't funny at ALL anymore... sigh:(

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
To properly check the oil level, wait several minutes after stopping the engine, hold the bike perpendicular to the ground, and then check if the level is between the upper and lower levels in the gauge.

Do not lose sleep over the oil level after starting the engine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok; you guys just aren't funny [:eek:)] (maybe one or two of you)

Anyways it's obviously not me looking at the oil level. While riding along the oil level is still almost full. [:0]

·
Registered
349 Posts
When at rest, RIGHT after you stop the bike and kill ignition, where does the bike oil level show at? On a level surface?

Should be alright, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by Batgirl

Ok; you guys just aren't funny [:eek:)] (maybe one or two of you)

Anyways it's obviously not me looking at the oil level. While riding along the oil level is still almost full. [:0]

Someone ELSE is reading your oil levels while you're driving??? Hot DAMN, that's almost as impressive as YOU doing it !!!

Sorry, old joke I guess... my bad

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by Cambridgezx6r

When at rest, RIGHT after you stop the bike and kill ignition, where does the bike oil level show at?
The oil level right after stopping the engine is irrelevant. To check the oil level according to the service manual,

• Situate the motorcycle so that it is perpendicular to the ground.
  • If the motorcycle has just been used, wait several minutes for all the oil to drain down.
  • If the oil has just been changed, start the engine and run it for several minutes at idle speed. This fills the oil filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait several minutes until the oil settles.
  • Check that the oil level is between the upper and lower levels in the gauge.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't quite read this post in time. I found my 03 zx6r a bit low in oil by just checking the window while it's on the stand (not perpendicular to the ground.) After putting in oil slowly by slowly, I found myself emptied the 1 liter bottle (full capacity is 4L).
So what should be rough guess on the oil level when the bike is on the stand?
It has only 300 km on it..

Originally posted by Rob Lee

Originally posted by Cambridgezx6r

When at rest, RIGHT after you stop the bike and kill ignition, where does the bike oil level show at?
The oil level right after stopping the engine is irrelevant. To check the oil level according to the service manual,

• Situate the motorcycle so that it is perpendicular to the ground.
  • If the motorcycle has just been used, wait several minutes for all the oil to drain down.
  • If the oil has just been changed, start the engine and run it for several minutes at idle speed. This fills the oil filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait several minutes until the oil settles.
  • Check that the oil level is between the upper and lower levels in the gauge.
Jack
---
Evo VII
ZX-6R 636

·
Registered
446 Posts
You don't check the oil when it's on the stand, but if you do on mine it's about the lower mark.

You don't have to be faster then the bear, just faster then your friend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well if there's still more oil pan below the window as I suspect there is since the window shows you a full pan then it should be alright if you (or someone else actually) can't see any oil while riding, but you should have a little in the bottom of the pan, because you can't be exact with how much oil is circulating because oil will fly off moving parts faster if you rev the engine faster, so you want some in the pan at all times whether at idle or full throttle. Too little oil and you seize the engine, too much oil and you blow gaskets so hold the bike perpendicular on a level surface and check the window. that should do it

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i thought this post was dead...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No, but chances are these peoples motors are if they are filling the bikes with oil while on the side stand. Too much of something CAN be a bad thing. Except sex. You can never get enough sex. Well, good sex that is. Alot of bad sex is still bad.

Oh yeah, and when the bike's moving, the oil will slosh back to the rear of the engine, so more might appear in the sight glass, making it look like its overfull.

BC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.