Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY!!! Let us have a moment of silence [V].

Ken - Yellow '02

·
Registered
695 Posts
Skov makes 5 posts and doesn't tell us what happened to his bike....man that sucks.

ahhh the want, the need to know what happened....DOCTOR...JUST TELL US THE TRUTH!!!!

_________

2002 ZX6R NINJA!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply sooner Guys!

I'm still not quite sure what happened to be honest!

It was a damp morning and I was heading into work as usual. I'd just overtaken a long line of cars and went round a left-hand bend to be met with about a quarter mile of empty straight road (very unusal for that time in the morning!). Having just graduated from a 400, I couldn't resist the urge to crack the throttle. I suppose I was doing about 120mph when I realised there were semmingly stationary vehicles at the end :O I started braking, but as soon as I touched the lever, the front locked up and the bike went completely out of shape.
Now I've locked the front on bikes in very similar conditions on a number of occaisions, and there's been no drama (and certainly no pain!), so I don't quite understand what happened. But as soon as the front locked the bike fell to the right, I let go of the brake and tried to straighten her up, but then it fell to the left and the bars went into a flap. It continued to oscilate like this for a moment until I went down hard onto the right and started sliding down the opposite carrigeway! After a few seconds I saw the grass coming towards me at a threatening pace and decided I'd better let go of the bike! The next part's a bit blurred - I felt like I was tumbling for an eternity and everything went a bit matrix-like. but eventually I came to a standstill. After the little birds had stopped circling my head I pulled the grass and mud out of my eyes and mouth (my visor had fell off!) to find myself sitting in the middle of a field with the broken clock fascia in front of me, and a worrying pain in my ankle. I surveyed the situation, and much to my dismay, there was a line of green plastic scattered over a couple of hundred yards ending with a lump of twisted metal that used to be my beloved 6R!
The end result was a knacered kwak and a broken ankle :(
Looking at the bike afterwards, I guess that it landed upside down pretty heavily at some point, twisting the subrame and zorst and squashing the tanks, clocks and fairing.
More pics here.

-Skov

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ouch!

Fully insured I hope? What are your plans now (or when your ankle heals)?

Another zx6r? If you get a 2000 model or up and adjust the ride height, it improves the braking stability a bit.

Glad to hear you are mostly ok. Lucky I guess there was a field there instead of a concrete or cheesecutter barrier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Third party only...
...It seemed like a good way of saving £200 at the time :(

I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing with the bike yet. I've just finished stripping everything off the frame. I'm going to take it into my local bike shop and see if they can bend the subframe back and weld up the cracks. The main frame appears to be striaght so I'm fairly hopefull.
If that works I'll probably chuck some race plastics on it and use it for trackdays, if not I suppose I'll break it.

-Skov

Originally posted by J1Aussie

Ouch!

Fully insured I hope? What are your plans now (or when your ankle heals)?

Another zx6r? If you get a 2000 model or up and adjust the ride height, it improves the braking stability a bit.

Glad to hear you are mostly ok. Lucky I guess there was a field there instead of a concrete or cheesecutter barrier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Defenatly a minute of silence is in order for another fallen comrade[V]
Still it's good to know that you have survived the experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wow skov thats weird buddy but i only had my ninja 4 about 6 weeks when i locked the front wheel and i tucked under me ,throwing me down pretty hard to the ground.then as i slid down the road heading 4 a transit wheel at 90 mph and watchin my bike just keep heading 4 a high kerbed roundabout,before hittin it with such a bang ,then flipped a few times before diggin in to the middle of the roundabout.i got up to realize that standin up was not easy to do anymore but with help got the bike up and into a garden of a fellow biker(didnt get ur name but thanks a load m8).i to am third party and also very skint,im goin to struggle to get the bike back on the road cuz i think it might be a bit to broke to safely put back on the road at reasonably money.so better luck next time skov,we all need a bit of luck on the road at times,i know i do

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, skov, I'm gonna hazard a guess: Based on your description that it was a damp morning, your traction may have been limited (cold tires, damp road). Much of that limited traction may have already been spent for acceleration/drive (you said you were at 120mph), plus because you were accelerating, weight shifted toward the rear wheel, further reducing the available traction at the front wheel. Finally, when you used your front brakes, it exceeded the available front wheel traction, and the front wheel locked. Since the bike leaned to the right, your wheels were probably off-center when you released the front brake, so that when you released the front brake and the front tire regained traction, the bike went into a tankslapper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.