Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in my other thread that I ordered a rear sprocket from Kneedraggers.com. I wanted a +2, they told me the stock size was 39 so I got a 41. Well after I got the wheel off and was taking off the sprocket, I notice that the stock size is actually 40.

I just called them and they wouldn't take responsibility. At first I just suggested that they send me a -1 front in order to get a little closer to the gearing I wanted, and I would just keep the 41. That way we wouldn't have to mess with the hassle of exchanging them. I felt this was reasonable since the fronts are only like $25, about how much the shipping would cost. He said "that aint gonna happen bud." They would only do the exchange.

Then I asked whether he could get me the new sprocket by tomorrow so I could get my bike back together for my weekend ride I had planned. Nope. This means that I would have to remount the wheel tomorrow for the weekend, and then do the whole process again when the sprocket eventually came it. A shop would charge like $100 to do all this work.

He said he would only send the new one after I sent back the wrong one. So on top of all the hassle of mounting/removing/mounting the wheel, and the week or two it will take to ship, I also have to pay for shipping the wrong one back. I called BS, so he abruptly put me on hold without an explanation.

After a few minutes I hung up and wrote them an email saying I didn't appreciate the way they treated me. I said that I would never spend another dime with them and that I would tell everyone how they treat they customers. I have spent hundreds of dollars with them in the past, and they wouldn't budge on a $25 dollars part to correct their mistake.

Their are several other stores out there that actually value their customers guys. Don't waste your money on Kneedraggers.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
While I don't necessarily think you should expect an additional free product from them to correct a mistake they made, I do think they should be more willing to save you as a customer and make you happy. Ideally, they should overnight you the sprocket and expect the other in return out of good faith, but I can also understand why they won't ship until they receive. It does sound like they treated you poorly, and I will take that into consideration when I'm shopping around. Customer service is everything!

Hope things work out for you bro!

·
Registered
97 Posts
based on your story and the "that ain't gonna happen bud" I will not buy from them.
I understand that every situation is different and there are 2 sides to a story, but that's total BS.

·
Powerhungry
38,138 Posts
is there any chance the rear had already been changed?
just throwing it out there..i dont know...
but it doesnt sound like they have very good customer service. ive noticed this with quite a few companies lately.
if u dont like ur job, get a different one. but dont take it out unwarranted on a customer. thay are the SOLE reason ur even working in the first place[V]

·
Registered
785 Posts
Huh...thanks for the advise.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,402 Posts
My personal experiences with KneeDraggers have been absolutely 100% outstanding. I've spent well over $3,000 there over the course of probably a dozen different orders, and every single one was a very pleasant experience. Orders from a $5 part through $600+ single items, every single one had excellent customer service and great results. They've even helped me out several times when I wasn't even ordering anything. I wrecked my first bike a few years ago, and called them to see if I could get a copy of a receipt for something I had ordered almost a year earlier for insurance purposes because I was an idiot and didn't keep mine. They looked it up, printed it out, and faxed and emailed copies to me within 10 minutes. I also called them about a helmet that was "indefinitely backordered" in my size (the Vemar), and they pointed me to several other competing stores that were selling the same helmet and might have some left in my size (rather than try to sell me on a different brand of helmet they actually had available). They also gave me size walkthroughs on different brands and how their sizes compare to brands that I own so that I'd have a ballpark and wouldn't have to mess with buying and returning and exchanging from the other retailers they were pointing me to. And this was all at their discretion. They called ME to discuss all of this with me, I didn't ask for any of it.

As for your experience, I understand how irritating it is to get the wrong part. Just count yourself lucky you've never ordered anything from Summit Racing. They have about a 50% track record combined with everyone I know of maybe sending you the right thing. As for what happened...

1. Removing/reinstalling a rear wheel should take 5 minutes, tops, by yourself with nothing but the proper socket and a torque wrench. A shop may charge $100, but it's a goddamn ripoff.

2. They sent you what you ordered. They may have given you the wrong information, but in the end it's your bike. The sprocket information is available by counting the teeth, reading your manual, reading a service manual, searching on the internet, and/or asking ANYONE on this board, or many other boards like it. It's not really their job to know your bike better than you do. They're not your mechanic, and they're not the owner. Granted, it sucks, but it's not THAT big of a deal.

3. They offered an exchange of the rear sprocket. Requesting that they send you a new front is proposterous. I've never heard of ANY vendor that would do that. Ever. Asking that they pay for the return shipping is understandable, but it's VERY rare that you'll find anyone actually willing to do it. You might have asked for store credit in the amount of your return shipping, and they might have been much more willing to work with you on that, but in the end it's up to them. They can't sell the sprocket you're returning to them, because it's used. They'll have to bargain it off in an in-store scratch-and-dent bin. Even with you paying the return shipping, they're still losing WAY more money than you are.

4. In the end, it's your responsability to know what you need, and order that part. They sent you what you ordered, and now they're willing to do an exchange because what you ordered isn't what you wanted.

5. For future reference, if you want to know something about your stock bike, go to www.buykawasaki.com to get a free online parts fische...or www.ronayers.com ... or www.bikebandit.com ...they all have them, and they're all pretty well known. Just about anyone on here could have told you that.

So yeah, it sucks what happened. But KneeDraggers is probably one of the most reputable online businesses I've ever dealt with.

Oh, and about $25 being how much your return shipping is going to cost...stick it in a USPS envelope. $3.50 priority. Done, and they'll get it in 2 or 3 days.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
I don't know, I have mixed feelings about your predicament. I don't think your part for free request was feasible or reasonable. Even though you went on what they told you, it is your bike and you should've known the exact part you needed, I think you should've made sure you knew what you wanted to buy. I always look-up part numbers and specifics before I order anything on-line. On the other hand, I think they should've at least made an effort to keep a customer, not sure if next day delivery was the answer either, maybe a discount. I think once you try to hit them up for a free part it kind of makes them weary if you are just trying to pull one over them.

I have had luck in the past when contacting vendors in getting things corrected or achieving a satisfactory outcome to a bad situation. I once bought a luggage set from overstock.com and the first time we used one of the bags it broke. Overstock at first didn't want to do anything, I sent the luggage company an e-mail and overstock.com's president an e-mail; Overstock.com gave me a full refund and the luggage manufacturer sent me a new and better set of luggage and I didn't even have to return what was left of the original one. Some people appreciate their customers others don't.

Sorry for the long unrelated story...

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by dragknt
My personal experiences with KneeDraggers have been absolutely 100% outstanding. I've spent well over $3,000 there over the course of probably a dozen different orders, and every single one was a very pleasant experience. Orders from a $5 part through $600+ single items, every single one had excellent customer service and great results. They've even helped me out several times when I wasn't even ordering anything. I wrecked my first bike a few years ago, and called them to see if I could get a copy of a receipt for something I had ordered almost a year earlier for insurance purposes because I was an idiot and didn't keep mine. They looked it up, printed it out, and faxed and emailed copies to me within 10 minutes. I also called them about a helmet that was "indefinitely backordered" in my size (the Vemar), and they pointed me to several other competing stores that were selling the same helmet and might have some left in my size (rather than try to sell me on a different brand of helmet they actually had available). They also gave me size walkthroughs on different brands and how their sizes compare to brands that I own so that I'd have a ballpark and wouldn't have to mess with buying and returning and exchanging from the other retailers they were pointing me to. And this was all at their discretion. They called ME to discuss all of this with me, I didn't ask for any of it.

As for your experience, I understand how irritating it is to get the wrong part. Just count yourself lucky you've never ordered anything from Summit Racing. They have about a 50% track record combined with everyone I know of maybe sending you the right thing. As for what happened...

1. Removing/reinstalling a rear wheel should take 5 minutes, tops, by yourself with nothing but the proper socket and a torque wrench. A shop may charge $100, but it's a goddamn ripoff.

2. They sent you what you ordered. They may have given you the wrong information, but in the end it's your bike. The sprocket information is available by counting the teeth, reading your manual, reading a service manual, searching on the internet, and/or asking ANYONE on this board, or many other boards like it. It's not really their job to know your bike better than you do. They're not your mechanic, and they're not the owner. Granted, it sucks, but it's not THAT big of a deal.

3. They offered an exchange of the rear sprocket. Requesting that they send you a new front is proposterous. I've never heard of ANY vendor that would do that. Ever. Asking that they pay for the return shipping is understandable, but it's VERY rare that you'll find anyone actually willing to do it. You might have asked for store credit in the amount of your return shipping, and they might have been much more willing to work with you on that, but in the end it's up to them. They can't sell the sprocket you're returning to them, because it's used. They'll have to bargain it off in an in-store scratch-and-dent bin. Even with you paying the return shipping, they're still losing WAY more money than you are.

4. In the end, it's your responsability to know what you need, and order that part. They sent you what you ordered, and now they're willing to do an exchange because what you ordered isn't what you wanted.

5. For future reference, if you want to know something about your stock bike, go to www.buykawasaki.com to get a free online parts fische...or www.ronayers.com ... or www.bikebandit.com ...they all have them, and they're all pretty well known. Just about anyone on here could have told you that.

So yeah, it sucks what happened. But KneeDraggers is probably one of the most reputable online businesses I've ever dealt with.

Oh, and about $25 being how much your return shipping is going to cost...stick it in a USPS envelope. $3.50 priority. Done, and they'll get it in 2 or 3 days.
I want to point out that I didn't expect a free product, I just suggested it to make things easier for them. Its a $25 part, I figured they would be happy to do it.

As far as knowing the stock size, I did in fact ask someone on this forum http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68258. Aftet that, I checked kneedraggers website and it said 39 was stock. When I called to place the order, I specifically asked the salesman. I told him I wanted a +2 sprocket, he confirmed that the stock size was indeed a 39. I guess I should have went out and counted the teeth myself but I trusted what I had read and heard. Plus I was at work when I made the order and wasn't around the bike.

Now I agree that it is my bike and I shouldn't expect them to know everything about it. But if you don't know the size, don't pretend that you do add put up false information.

And with my comment about the shipping cost being close to the cost of the sprocket, I was talking about the cost to overnight a sprocket to me as well as the cost to ship it back. It may not be $25 exactly, but it's probably close.

And I'm going to have to disaggree on the 5 minute to remove/reinstall the wheel. Remember that I have to remove and reinstall the sprocket too, then make sure the chain is adjusted correctly. BTW, I don't have an impact wrench. A shop will charge a minimum of a half hour labor. Two visits equals a minimum of one hour at probably $65/hour. So I might of been a little high, but you get my point.

As far as store credit or some other kind of compromise, I would have been open to working something out. The problem is that they virtually hung up on me in mid sentence, I wasn't about to call them back after that.

I'm glad you have had good experiences with them, I had too up until now. But I'm done with them for good now.

·
Registered
474 Posts
+1 to dragknt, pretty much..

Looks like the 04-05 ZX10R used a 39T and its an assumption that the 06 did as well...

While the 04-06 models use the same bolt pattern for the rear sprocket, my guess is Kawi changed the stock number of teeth on the 06 to 40. The Kneedraggers site DOES in fact say 39T for the rear on the 06. As much as I agree that the owner should know more about his bike than the vendor, the vendor shouldnt list inaccurate information. They should either have correct information or NO information at all.

I just dont trust anybody when it comes to most things, because a lot of people will speak up even when they arent 100% sure, which is evident in your other thread, and on the kneedragger site...

All of this is of course assuming the sprocket you had on there was in fact the stock sprocket... I personally havent been able to find out what it is since Ron Ayers doesnt have 06 diagrams up...

·
Registered
77 Posts
If a company is going to specialize in selling anything (ie. motorcycle parts) they should darn well be able to answer questions relating to their products. If he asked what is the stock sprocket size, and they give him the wrong answer...then

A) Do you really want to buy other products from them if they can't give your correct and reliable information?

B) Since they provided the wrong information, they should make it right! A simple "we'll ship you the correct part right now" is probably all it would have taken.

Quite simply, they'd rather lose you as a customer than spend the $$ to keep you happy. I had a similar experience when I bought my last vehicle.

Just my .02, as always YMMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.