Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I should have to tell anyone this, but this is just a friendly reminder.

The Story: About 20 of us rode "the summit", about 10 miles of uphill sweepers. There's a famous bar/grill at the top where we usually stop, cool off at the picnic tables, then head back down. At the bar, a guy on a big white Harley is leaving as we pull in. He stalls his bike in the parking lot. On the way out of the parking lot, he hits a guard rail. A few of us asked around quickly, looking for a friend of his to stop him from driving home, but no one knew who he was. While we're asking around, he manages to work his way onto the road and head out. 10 minutes later, the manager walks out and tells everyone that he wrecked down at the bottom of the mountain. :(

Hindsight is 20/20. I've tried talking to drunk people I didn't know and they usually don't listen (which is why were were looking for a friend of his). If any of us had known, we'd have gone and knocked his ass out for a few hours. Someone mentioned there should be some responsibility placed on the bartender for letting him get pissdrunk, but we all feel pretty bad. At least he didn't hurt anyone else.

No gear, skullcap helmet, no word on his condition.

Ride safe and smart. You might not be the guy who's intoxicated, but you might get hit by him.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
man that sucks, at least he didn't hit you guys when you were coming up.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Yeah, the cruiser crowd seems to think nothing of "knocking back a few" and then riding. It's why I refuse to partake in any of the "poker run" rides... seems like for each card they collect, they also load up on one or two beers...by the end of the route, most of the participants are not capable of walking straight, let alone riding.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I have absolutely no respect, or sympathy for anyone that drives/rides under the influence. [V] I personally think that people that drive under the influence get off far too lightly in the US. If I had my way first offense DUI would result in license being revoked for one year, a $5,000 fine, and a week in jail. Second DUI should be license revoked for life a $10,000 fine and a month in prison. Every DUI after that should add $5,000 onto the fine and another month to the prison term. I also think people that kill/injure others while DUI get off too lightly. In my state sentence for vehicular homicide is like 2-5 years. I think that anyone that kills or injures another human while DUI should be charged with 2nd degree murder or assault w/ a deadly weapon. It is no secret what is possible when you drive drunk, everyone knows you could kill someone. As far as I am concerned the penalty for killing/injuring someone with a car while drunk should be exactly the same as the penalty for killing/injuring someone with a gun while drunk. If we stop coddling drunk drivers and put penalties that carry some weight on DUI maybe people might actually stop to think before they drive/ride drunk. :(

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
As far as the bar, I don't think they should be responsible. You're the master of your own fate, you know? Now common sense would be to start mixing drinks lighter if someone's getting piss faced (saves the bar money, too), but in the end drinking is legal, and bars are legal, and it's really not their fault if you're not mature enough to handle it properly, or have enough disregard of the law and public safety to drive while drunk.

The only way to really remedy this is to require you to turn in your keys when you arrive at the bar, then take a breathalyzer before you recieve your keys to leave...but imagine the uproar that would cause. The government isn't supposed to hold your dick while you piss, and neither is a private company, IMO. Unless that's what you're paying them for. If you think you might get drunk, just give your keys to a friend or the bartender, or better yet, take a cab there and back. While things like this are rediculous, and stupid, and characterize the mindset behind why everyone hates the US, all it is, really, is one man who shouldn't be allowed to ride because he's just not mature enough. It's not really anything you can enforce, beyond DUI laws, but those are all after-the-fact...they rarely ever prevent things like this the first time around.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Oh I agree to some extent with you about DUI laws being "after-the-fact. However I think the first couple times someone was executed for killing someone while DUI would be a pretty big eye opener for the people that do it now.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would say DO drink and drive .. he didn't apparently [:eek:)]

(no don't drink and drive, no) [xx(]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
you know what I hate, is when people tell their stories about how drunk they were and how the drove or rode home, like it is funny. I don't get people. Then it's the ones trying to be safe that end up getting hit by these kind of people.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Originally posted by Atroxus
I have absolutely no respect, or sympathy for anyone that drives/rides under the influence. [V] I personally think that people that drive under the influence get off far too lightly in the US. If I had my way first offense DUI would result in license being revoked for one year, a $5,000 fine, and a week in jail. Second DUI should be license revoked for life a $10,000 fine and a month in prison. Every DUI after that should add $5,000 onto the fine and another month to the prison term. I also think people that kill/injure others while DUI get off too lightly. In my state sentence for vehicular homicide is like 2-5 years. I think that anyone that kills or injures another human while DUI should be charged with 2nd degree murder or assault w/ a deadly weapon. It is no secret what is possible when you drive drunk, everyone knows you could kill someone. As far as I am concerned the penalty for killing/injuring someone with a car while drunk should be exactly the same as the penalty for killing/injuring someone with a gun while drunk. If we stop coddling drunk drivers and put penalties that carry some weight on DUI maybe people might actually stop to think before they drive/ride drunk. :(
Pretty harsh there, I take it you don't drink. Fortunately the law doesn't agree otherwise a ton of mentally ill people would be in jail instead of getting help. Being drunk impairs ones reflexs AND judgement, can't expect a drunk person to make sound judgements he's under the influence and legally/medically ill (by way of toxin) after all. Sadly the real problem with drinking and driving/riding isn't with people but the bars/clubs. The bartender needs to limit people from getting drunk and the bar/club needs to retain people until they are sober. That or close the bars so people have to drink at home where they don't have to leave when they are done drinking.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by killer2600
Pretty harsh there, I take it you don't drink. Fortunately the law doesn't agree otherwise a ton of mentally ill people would be in jail instead of getting help. Being drunk impairs ones reflexs AND judgement, can't expect a drunk person to make sound judgements he's under the influence and legally/medically ill (by way of toxin) after all. Sadly the real problem with drinking and driving/riding isn't with people but the bars/clubs. The bartender needs to limit people from getting drunk and the bar/club needs to retain people until they are sober. That or close the bars so people have to drink at home where they don't have to leave when they are done drinking.
You're fucking kidding me, right?

You're probably the same person who blames gun companies for people getting shot. Why is the bar responsible for your behavior? Should they also hold your dick when you piss, and hold your hair back when you're throwing up into their toilet?

Guns don't kill people, mean corporations who make them do, right? [:Stupid]

·
Registered
392 Posts
Originally posted by zortness
I forgot to mention, this was at about 9am.

you got to be kidding? i CANT believe they serve someone that early. Not to mention letting him get that drunk!! Yeah i would hold the bar partial responsable

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Originally posted by zortness
I forgot to mention, this was at about 9am.
Oh come on...you guys act like you've never had Bud Light and Cherrios for breakfast. Lol, yeah, just kidding. What a freakin moron. I'm glad he wrecked and only hurt himself. Maybe the scars will remind him to not be a dang idiot.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The question I have always had is why can you drive to and from a bar if drinking and driving is illegal?

Only one solution....smoke A LOT OF WEED! [:M94]

Know why you never read about accidents caused by being stoned?? because its impossible to hit anything when you are doing 10 MPH!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Originally posted by killerkid007

you got to be kidding? i CANT believe they serve someone that early. Not to mention letting him get that drunk!! Yeah i would hold the bar partial responsable
It doesn't matter what time they serve you a beer. It's good though 7am or 9am. it's about time:)) When you hang over beer helps you actually, it's like for breakfast lol. The problem we are talking about is riding while drunk. and it can happen at 9 am or 11 pm or any time of the day. The driver decides to drive or not to, not a bar or bartender PERIOD!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
FIGURES, all the harley guys ride with damn near no helmet, and get drunk as hell before they ride, its usual for them, thats why they ride harleys, dumb asses.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Originally posted by Atroxus
You should move to Michigan.
1st offense-90 days, 6 month license suspension, big fine.
2nd offense-6 months jail, 2 year license suspension, bigger fine.
3rd offense-5 years prison, license revoked till whenever they want to give it back to you.

Not exactly sure about this but I believe it's Sweden.
1st offense-1 year in prison.
2nd offense-5 years in prison.
3rd offense-No set penalty, it has never happened.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.