Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris is taking me to look at a bike monday. He's shown me a lot about them but said I would get first hand riding experience when he got me my own. Just so I look like I've done my homework, is there anything to look for besides just sitting on it and seeing if I can reach the handlebars?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you are looking at new bikes, you just want to make sure it appeals to your eye. Ask yourself if you want to be seen riding it. Make sure you can reach the ground good and you feel comfortable w/ the bike under you. You don't want to have to reach too far for the handlebars. The first thing you should look for is make sure the name KAWASAKI is on it. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I don't agree with the "looks" thing as much. I mean, of course I kinda considered looks when I bought my '03 ZX6R, but if you're too concerned about being seen riding it then you're more concerned about posing instead of riding. Remember, ride first. Safety and proper riding technique is a big issue. If you're going to buy a bike for looks then you might as well ride without gear on, too.

If you want to learn how to ride first and buy your dream bike later, try the EX250 or EX500 and buy it used. If you want it new, that's up to you - I bought mine new because I wanted to be the one breaking it in. Take the MSF course.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, it might just be me but I don't want to be seen riding something that looks like crap. And there is no reason to start out on a small bike like that unless you are just not tall enough or strong enough to hold up a 600. A bike does not have power unless you give it throttle. A 250 going 60mph is just as fast as a 636 going 60mph. If someone started out on a Hayabusa it would be fine as long as they could hold it up and have throttle control.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You should take one of the many safety courses that are offered. They teach you how to ride, you use their bike so if you drop it no biggie, and you get your license when its over. Take the class first and then, when you have some more education, choose your bike.
Who knows you might not even like the feeling at all (although I cant imagine that)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by melloyello
A bike does not have power unless you give it throttle. A 250 going 60mph is just as fast as a 636 going 60mph. If someone started out on a Hayabusa it would be fine as long as they could hold it up and have throttle control.

Yeah, just like you can take a hot chick home and just, umm, fondle, even if she's willing to do much more? At a twist of the wrist, no less :D

mr. smartypants here, but it is a valid analogy, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Right Redfinn, I see where you are coming from. Temptation is the devil. You have just got to control yourself.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Many people don't have that kind of control, especially when you buy a bike knowing how much power it has. Personally, I haven't taken my '03 ZX6R over 9k rpm yet.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Originally posted by melloyello
Well, it might just be me but I don't want to be seen riding something that looks like crap. And there is no reason to start out on a small bike like that unless you are just not tall enough or strong enough to hold up a 600. A bike does not have power unless you give it throttle. A 250 going 60mph is just as fast as a 636 going 60mph. If someone started out on a Hayabusa it would be fine as long as they could hold it up and have throttle control.

Well, the RC211V weighs only 308lbs. That's as light as the EX250 but it has over 220hp! Do you think she could start on a bike of that caliber? I don't think so. Yeah, you can keep the RPM's low and all... but many newbies don't have that kind of throttle control because everyone just isn't that gifted with coordination. I ain't braggin', but I'd like to think that I was a natural with all the coordination in riding a bike... but I still sure as hell would have denied a Hayabusa even if I had the money to buy it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
make sure you will be able to shift the bike wearing your favorite high heels ;)

actually the best thing is to sit on the bike and make sure if doesn't feel too heavy or too tall for you. It's very very important for you to feel confident sitting on the bike. If you dont feel confident sitting on a bike that isn't moving, what will happen when the bike is going 80mph?

i highly recomend the Ninak 250 for furst time female riders (even smaller male riders)...that bike makes anyone feel confident...and in a few years you can sell it without loosing too much money...good luck selling a used 600cc bike without loosing much money ;)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My first bike is the current zx9 I'm riding. I actually was in the market for a 750 for my 1st bike, but got the 9 for a $100 more than the zx7. I'm glad that I got the nine because I would have wanted a bigger bike by now. (a little over a year) But I am a speed freak. There are two things you must remember, first if you do like I did and get a bigger bike you have all the smaller bikes in that one. Just depends on how far you drop your elbow. And second the further you lower your elbow, the closer you are to the ground. LITERALLY!!!!!!! Those extra cc's can and will hurt or kill if you abuse it. Think when you ride. HAve fun!!!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Great vid, awesome roads. He looked pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
He was fast! That guy on the F4i could barely keep up and had crappy lines. I didn't think you can get your knee down like that on a Ninja250 on some backroads!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Okay, if you must go shopping for a bike there are several things to consider. First should be what kind of rider or riding focus are you shooting for? Cruising around town? Maybe a sportbike isn't the best choice. Although I do know quite of few sportbike owners who only cruise around town. If you are choosing a sportbike: 1) Take the MSF class before you do anything else. 2) Buy a reasonable good condition/handling bike that is no larger than 600cc. 3) Buy the best gear you can afford. If you got a 50 dollar head, go buy a 50 dollar helmet.

If anything, make sure that you put in time and effort into making you decision. After all it will be your money and your life. Remeber that owning a bike is like having a loaded gun. Treated with responsibility and respect you will have the time of you life, mistreat it or betray it and it will take your life or someone elses.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
that video kicked ass, that dude was smooth too...that guy making the video seemed to have some trouble keeping up...

my only thing is the ninja 250 dude was crossing paint strips, and that always scares the hell out of me ;)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The guy on the 250 is an AMA/AFM racer, that's why he was so fast. The guy following him was on an F4i. That 250 is stock, by the way. He was crossing the white line (the lane to pullover in) so that he can really dive into the upcoming corners with good speed. I'm going to try to head up to that road next month. Anybody else here from Cali?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That was Hwy 9 up in Northern Cali... but what does it matter? You guys got Palomar Mtn. down there! If you ever wanted to come up some time we can ride the Crest or GMR.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.