Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I went to buy a race brake fluid today and I didn´t find it, so I bought the MOTUL DOT 5.1, this is because I am changing the oem brake lines for a goodridge ones, I´m gonna go to track days but I want to avoid the fade of the front brake, is the MOTUL DOT 5.1 a good choice?? or do I have to wait for a race fluid??

Thanks

·
Registered
995 Posts
most people i know, including myself, use Motul RBF600 fluid, which is DOT 4.

·
Registered
738 Posts
+1 on the Motul RBF600.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Hmmm...I'm going against the grain here... The best kept secret is Valvoline Synthetic DOT4...available at any local auto parts store, and only a $3 a pint. Its wet boiling point is in fact higher than motul....310F versus 280ish...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive heard nothing but great things about the rbf600. It seems to be the best you can get. IMO do it right the first time and just don't worry about it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
btw always use a new unopened bottle of brake fluid! if possible i split the bottle with some people and do fluid changes and bleeding at the track so as not to waste the fluid.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I heard u CAN NOT mix at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! so even though ur changing the lines theres still some DOT 4 in the master and calipers, u have to take apart the calipers and master and clean the crap out of them to make sure u get every last drop. just what i heard so id get best dot 4 you can find before id go dot 5 and have to do a bunch of work.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hmmm...I'm going against the grain here... The best kept secret is Valvoline Synthetic DOT4...available at any local auto parts store, and only a $3 a pint. Its wet boiling point is in fact higher than motul....310F versus 280ish...
FYI Motuls boiling point wet is 421F! where u getting 280ish?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
FYI Motuls boiling point wet is 421F! where u getting 280ish?
from memory...and it was wrong. I used some wilwood fluid on a buddies bike he brought over and had it in my head it was motul...the bottles look nothing alike...wtf was I thinking.

Still...I'll use my cheapo valvoline sythetic dot4...I bleed after 2 tracks days and have never seen it turn dark.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I heard u CAN NOT mix at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! so even though ur changing the lines theres still some DOT 4 in the master and calipers, u have to take apart the calipers and master and clean the crap out of them to make sure u get every last drop. just what i heard so id get best dot 4 you can find before id go dot 5 and have to do a bunch of work.
If I'm not mistaken, DOT 5 and DOT 5.1 are different. I think you CAN mix 5.1 with regular fluid but not DOT 5. I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
RBF600
This synthetic fluid has a higher boiling point than stock fluid for operation in racing conditions. The boiling points are 312°C/593°F dry and 216°C/420°F wet.

This long life synthetic fluid has a wet boiling point of 185°C/365°F and is specially designed for use with ABS. This anti-corrosive fluid is perfectly neutral with seals used in braking systems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts