Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know DOT is supposed to be shit but I really like the Shoei GT Air 2. I'm assuming it didn't get Snell because of the drop down visor? or is it really an inferior product crash protection-wise?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Come on guys, it's a Shoei, a brand new one!

Ratings are legit but I can't imagine Shoei ever selling an unsafe helmet, I would buy it with my eyes closed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it was a good helmet it would be snail rated . If it is snail rated you can find the crash and crush rates. In other words it has been tested. Dot does not care about crush or crash rates

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did some research on this on its made of a new composite and has not made snell cert.s yet . it is a sport touring helmet
Look at this one Shoei RF-SR

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If it was a good helmet it would be snail rated . If it is snail rated you can find the crash and crush rates. In other words it has been tested. Dot does not care about crush or crash rates
Yeah, you've got a strong point there for sure.

Maybe I am too brand fixated, Shoei and Arai is like the Mercedes S-Class of helmets for me, and I just can't imagine an S Class being unsafe!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not saying it's unsafe just saying its not approved yet. have you looked it to aim and aim+ . It is euro snail rating . It has come along way in the past 3 years shoei might have them listed under aim+ considering there from Japan .

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Not saying it's unsafe just saying its not approved yet. have you looked it to aim and aim+ . It is euro snail rating . It has come along way in the past 3 years shoei might have them listed under aim+ considering there from Japan .
Yes, I get it, do you know any legit sites for helmet ratings comparison?

My rule until now was to simpy avoid the cheap thermoplastic buckets and invest at least 300$ for head protection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are other rating systems too and helmets can fail in one test and top another.

There is no accurate way of measuring helmet safety because no accident is the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally I've always used the Sharps guide for Helmets: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

ECE is the European standard i think & Snell appears to be a more American\Race standard. I read that if a helmet has an internal visor it almost always fails the Snell tests as they are more designed for Race. So ECE is the more road use\wearing type of helmet test IMO.

Found an interesting discussion on this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/b188mn/which_helmet_certification_should_i_trust_the

·
Registered
21 Posts
All rubbish in my opinion there are DOT approved helmets with rubbish ratings according to other rating systems.

And helmets with inner visors automatically rejected by DOT is like an sclass with 90 airbags and 1200 electronic aids deemed unsafe because of oversized visors.

Price and brand is the only way to go when helmet shopping...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
All rubbish in my opinion there are DOT approved helmets with rubbish ratings according to other rating systems.

And helmets with inner visors automatically rejected by DOT is like an sclass with 90 airbags and 1200 electronic aids deemed unsafe because of oversized visors.

Price and brand is the only way to go when helmet shopping...
It can't be all rubbish, they crash test helmets in 30+ ways and they are dedicated organizations researching helmet safety.

Conflicting ratings are not ideal though, and that inner visor limitation is indeed idiotic :|

·
Registered
561 Posts
The DOT vs snell rating is more to do with EU/US and track/racing rather than street/road riding. Piston_Broke's post is spot on!
@Machinist Price, not so much, but brand I agree with since they have their reputation to uphold, so in short (IMO) If it's from a reputable manufacturer and gets good reviews, just buy the helmet you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts