Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i waited patiently for a passing zone (many good double yellow spots that i didn't take advantage of) and then really jammed on it to get past all of the cars (let's just say 100+). i was thinking about it later (after a bunch of double yellow passes in some twisties i wasn't willing to waste) and i've basically decided it is probably worse to get a high speed speeding ticket than a ticket for passing in a no-passing zone. i thought do a few safe double-yellow passes and then be far enough along so i wouldn't have to push it so fast to get the rest. what do you guys think? which would be more likely to have a driver call the cops on me?

a.s.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The double yellow would probably be less expensive. I got one in my truck a couple of years ago, cost about 120 bucks. Other than the cost of the ticket, I would have to say it's really just a judgement call. I don't no who the brainiack is that picks where the dotted and double yellow lines go, but I always find places that are dotted I would never in my right mind pass. And places that are double yellow that are more than safe enough to pass. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by chopperpilot99
The double yellow would probably be less expensive. I got one in my truck a couple of years ago, cost about 120 bucks. Other than the cost of the ticket, I would have to say it's really just a judgement call. I don't no who the brainiack is that picks where the dotted and double yellow lines go, but I always find places that are dotted I would never in my right mind pass. And places that are double yellow that are more than safe enough to pass. Go figure.
+1

There are calculations and shit they are suppose to use to determine that kind of thing. But like you said, I've seen places where the lines don't make any sense.

You gotta remember though, those lines are made for slow ass cars and trucks, not motorcycles. We have much better acceleration and need less space. Passing even a group of cars only takes a few seconds, especially on my zx10. I did have to be a little more careful on my old 636 and make sure I was in the right gear, but it was still easy.

If I feel I can make a pass safely, I do it regardless of whether the line is dotted or not. Just do it quickly and intentionally. Once you commit, put the hammer down and don't worry about the speed limit until you cleared the car. If for some reason you fuck up and there is someone coming the other way, there is usually enough space to ride the middle line if you have to.

As far as which one is a cheaper ticket, I guess it depends on the cop and what charge he wants to throw at you. If I were a cop, I would be more understanding for speeding while passing on a dotted line since it is not inherently illegal like crossing a solid. You could always say that the other car accelerated trying not to let you pass, forcing you to go faster than you had planned. That shit happens all the time so the cop should believe it.

Personally, I feel it's more dangerous passing on a dotted line, especially if there is more than one car to pass. The people are usually going faster because the roads is straight. And when there is a group of cars I always worry about someone else pulling out and trying to pass at the same time I am.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If the situation isn't perfect for me to pass, I don't bother. Why should I? If it's on a nice open road when you're on a ride, yeah sure....but if I'm just going to work or the gym or something, I just sit behind them until it splits into two again. It just isn't worth it.

I don't worry about getting to work late anymore, because I know it would make me do stupid things on the bike. And guess what! I always get there on time anyways.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
An important thing to keep in mind when you pass on the double-yellow is make sure there is no where for cars to turn, e.g. driveways, streets, etc. from either lane. I'd say 90% of cars out there don't use their turn signals (especially when turning into a driveway) so when you go to pass them, they smack right into you. And it would be totally your fault.

No matter how slow the dumb-ass in front of me is going....if there is a spot for him/her to turn, I ain't passin.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wait for a passing zone, I'm not about to test my luck that someone's not gonna turn into a driveway or come out of a sidestreet right as I go to pass otherwise, or that a cop wont be there to nab me for an unsafe pass or whatever.

Usually I'm not in that much of a rush when I'm out for a ride, so sometimes I'll just drop back or stop somewhere for a bit and let them get further away and then go on w/ my ride.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Originally posted by timbo
If the situation isn't perfect for me to pass, I don't bother. Why should I? If it's on a nice open road when you're on a ride, yeah sure....but if I'm just going to work or the gym or something, I just sit behind them until it splits into two again. It just isn't worth it.

I don't worry about getting to work late anymore, because I know it would make me do stupid things on the bike. And guess what! I always get there on time anyways.

[:+1]

·
Registered
757 Posts
Dotted-schmotted.... If it's safe, I'll pass with the triple yellow line. Haven't you played Grand Theft Auto?

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by moloko
Dotted-schmotted.... If it's safe, I'll pass with the triple yellow line. Haven't you played Grand Theft Auto?
This street by my house has quadruple yellow lines.

Anyone know what that means? Is it like "Don't Even Think About Passing Mother Fucker"?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've often wondered what the legalities are regarding passing speed - because I really haul ass (on the rare occasion that I bother to pass) getting around them. I just gun whatever I'm driving, then slow back down to a sane speed once I'm safely back in my lane. Are you really supposed to observe the speed limit even when going around?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7
I've often wondered what the legalities are regarding passing speed - because I really haul ass (on the rare occasion that I bother to pass) getting around them. I just gun whatever I'm driving, then slow back down to a sane speed once I'm safely back in my lane. Are you really supposed to observe the speed limit even when going around?

i could be wrong here, but i think that you are still suposed to observe the speed limit even while passing. i do know that it is illegal for the car that you are passing to intentually speed up in order to keep you from passing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't know which ticket would be cheaper, but in Indiana, passing on solid yellow is a 6-point ticket. That is equivalent to a pretty nasty speeding ticket (20+ over). Don't ask...[V]

I just finished my Defensive Driving Course this afternoon. What a waste of four hours and $50. [}:)]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Be extremely careful on multi car passes!Have many nasty stories of rider fuckups whilst tyring to pull it off.When passing on dbl yellows I like to time it so the pass occurs when the cage is at its slowest.......and then don't scream by.Make it a real clean pass,give them a nice wave and just pull away from them smoothly.It used to be a whole lot easier before cells.Back in the day you'd flip'm off doin a ton and not worry.Now,one call that theres a bike doin standups or some shit and the Dawgs will be out to ruin the fun.Best of luck BW

PS oh yeah got a ticket a month or so ago on my KRS.Was on the limiter in 4th.Cop was in the bushes,it was a legal pass zone.Cop was totaly cool(gave me a ten over),but said you're not 'sposed to exceed speed limit whilst passing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.