Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ZX6R and one day while riding I happen to down shift without clutching from 5th to 4th is this normal or is my clutch cable out of adjustment?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Mad Mike
AFAIK, you can shift any bike without clutching. Just make sure you get the revs somewhat matched.
hmm? I only thought that applied with upshift but not down interesting. Sorta freaked me out because when I owned a Gixxer didn't seem to allow downshifts without clutching..

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think its just that its harder for the gear to engage on a clutchless downshift, as the engine will be sped up due to the gearning, and will then slow do to compression if no or little throttle is applied. As a result, unless the throttle is revved when you hit the shifter, the tranny wont want to drop a gear w/o the clutch.
I've done it before myself, but I try not to make a habit of it.

Kinda the opposite of how if you weight the shifter lever with your foot and roll off, the engine compression helps to pull it into the next gear and you need little or no clutch depending on how hard you are accelerating.

I may be a little off, but that's the way it seems to me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
lol the compression of the engine doesent have ANYTHING to do with the transmission.

the gears will slide up or down when there is no load on them.

EXAMPLE:

when you're accelerating in 1st gear (any gear, really) you click up on the shifter to put it in 2nd...nothing. Same scenario, but instead of clicking once, try holding pressure up (SLIGHTLY, it doesent have to be a lot at all) and let off the gas. It'll click in by itself.

if your in 6th, just put your foot on top of the shift lever and let off the gas. It'll slide right in...works like a charm.

when you play with it enough, you'll realize that you dont even have to let off the gas all the way. If you back off JUST enough, and time it right, you can shift faster than you ever have before

BUT! Sometimes (a lot, actually) it has a tendancy to come out of gear. I've been playing with shifting like this for the past 2 weeks shifting into 2nd gear while im up in a wheelie (hitting neutral HURTS!)

remember: If it went into gear with the slightest of pressure, you did it right!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.