Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i currently own a ninja650r and am getting myself a FZ6 tomorrow.
the Differences:

Ninja 650r VS FZ6

649cc vs 599cc (displacement)
p-twin vs in-line4 (engine)
$650 vs $450 (insurance (full coverage))
73 vs 98 (horsepower)
09 vs 06 (year)
~10k vs 158 (mileage - yea the FZ's is NOT a typo)
Fuel injected vs FI (engine)

I'd like your thoughts and comments,
i've ridden both bikes (i have almost 10k miles on my ninja, and im ready for something bigger (in all meanings of the word) more power/a little taller). When i sit on my ninja i feel like its a mini bike (i can easily flat foot both feet with room to spare)

I've been actively searching for a buyer for my 650r, but i may keep it (since it was my first street bike) and let my gf ride it.

thanks for your comments and consideration:)
PS anyone wanna buy the ninja?

· Registered
243 Posts
Well, I guess it's all up to how much money you have to drop on a new bike. Personally, I'm not sure I'd buy a new bike for that kind of power gain. But if you think the FZ6 is a significant upgrade, then hell, go for it and ride the shit out of it. As far as carbs vs FI goes, I thought the FZ6 was FI, but if it's not, just give yourself an extra 5 minutes in the morning during the summer and an extra 15 minutes in the winter when you ride to work/school. My old 250 took about 10 minutes of warming up in the winter time before it was really ready to be ridden.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the FZ6 is a 2006, USED with 158 miles
I'm looking at it like this:
i want more power (not a lot more) so 25 is a good upgrade, plus i LOVE my ergonomics, thats why my 09 has like 10k miles on it already.
I like the dual under tail exhaust- looks clean, and no other 600cc bike has this
I don't wanna look like joe rocket, so the naked/standard look is appealing to me
cheaper insurance is a plus.
half the reason i dislike the ninja is because no one makes mods for these bikes until 2 years later

· Registered
243 Posts
the FZ6 is a 2006, USED with 158 miles
I'm looking at it like this:
i want more power (not a lot more) so 25 is a good upgrade, plus i LOVE my ergonomics, thats why my 09 has like 10k miles on it already.
I like the dual under tail exhaust- looks clean, and no other 600cc bike has this
I don't wanna look like joe rocket, so the naked/standard look is appealing to me
cheaper insurance is a plus.
half the reason i dislike the ninja is because no one makes mods for these bikes until 2 years later
Sounds like you got yourself a good upgrade then. Just looking at the wiki entry for your bike (Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), that bike has got fuel injection, which would take away my only actual hesitation with that machine to begin with. Personally, I didn't like either of the Yamaha bikes I test drove (2010 Fz6R and 2010 Fz1), but if you like them, then that's what matters.

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
The Fizzer is powered by a de-tuned R6 engine and can really scream if you want her to. That plus superior suspension gives the Fizzer a thumbs up in my book.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
An 06 FZ6 is FI

lol i guess i got confused when reading the thread. people kept saying it was carbed then fi and so on.

But regardless, a bike that is that old and has that few miles will probably need a little tlc to get it back into tip top running shape. I would go ahead and change the oil and check the fuel lines just to be safe. Be sure to check the conditions of the tires too, especially if theyre the stockers.

Have fun with your new toy!

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
so i currently own a ninja650r and am getting myself a FZ6 tomorrow.
the Differences:

Ninja 650r VS FZ6

649cc vs 599cc (displacement) <------ :rotflmao: Gee, thanks for
p-twin vs in-line4 (engine) <------ clarifying what these mean
$650 vs $450 (insurance (full coverage))
73 vs 98 (horsepower)
09 vs 06 (year)
~10k vs 158 (mileage - yea the FZ's is NOT a typo)
Fuel injected vs FI (engine)

I'd like your thoughts and comments,
i've ridden both bikes (i have almost 10k miles on my ninja, and im ready for something bigger (in all meanings of the word) more power/a little taller). When i sit on my ninja i feel like its a mini bike (i can easily flat foot both feet with room to spare)

I've been actively searching for a buyer for my 650r, but i may keep it (since it was my first street bike) and let my gf ride it.

thanks for your comments and consideration:)
PS anyone wanna buy the ninja?
Misleading thread title indeed. I'm sorry but anything besides a 250 is an upgrade to the 650. Enjoy the new ride.

· Registered
5,288 Posts
I'm sorry but anything besides a 250 is an upgrade to the 650. Enjoy the new ride.
Stupid thing to say - lots of bikes can be considered not to be an upgrade, even from what appears to be your rather blinkered perspective.

That apart, even a 'busa isn't an upgrade if your priority is agility through traffic and fuel economy, and something like a Triumph Daytona with its extreme riding position isn't an upgrade if you want to tour, so the whole concept of an 'upgrade' is a pretty nebulous concept anyway.

Rob

· Registered
5,288 Posts
I don't believe there is, no.
Probably not really relevant to this thread, but there is a difference, although most (all?) modern bikes use a common rail form of FI where pressurised fuel from a single high pressure pump is supplied to the injectors. The injectors are opened by the ecu, which is a computer, so it is in effect 'digital' in terms of its control.

Basic FI is actually mechanical, with a low pressure lift pump and a seperate high pressure pump driven by a cam for each injector, and no computer involvment at all.

In between the two are a range of options in terms of common rail and individual pumps, computer and mechanical (or even some analogue electronic options) control and direct or indirect injection.

Rob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.