Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there aren't many drag racers on this forum, but for those of you who are please provide some insight...
I went to the strip for the first time last night. I have never raced a day in my life. I just wanted to try it. So, I did.
The strip I visited was suppose to be an 1/8 mile, but was originally buitl for 1/4 mile racing.
I ran about 3 passes before saying, "this kaw is going home." My best time for the night was 12.515 at 104.23 mph.
Now, looking at the time it appears that they clocked 1/4 mile times. I mean, there is no way I ran 12 secs in the 1/8! The thing that leads me to believe that this was a 1/4 mile time was that the fastest guy out there was driving a 06 Suzuki GSX-R600. He's been racing before and his time was 11.436 at 124.001 mph.
What do you guys think? Was this an 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile time? (Please don't dog my time to harshly, I am only begining and have never done this before. I was actually slowing down at the end of the track b/c I didn't know where the finish line was...lol.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
That definitely looks like a 1/4 mile time. Your trap speed is pretty low for your bike, but then again, this was your very first time to race it, so it makes sense. Don't feel bad for going slow, just be proud you have the balls to get out there and do it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Definately 1/4. We have a 1/8 track here, and the "slow" bikes (like me :)) run about 7.75-8 seconds at 85ish.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Also since your new at it. Remember to run the bike THROUGH the finish line. The speed trap (where you get the top speed number)is an area that starts right before the actual finish line and extends just past the line. You may have been shutting off early.

·
Registered
532 Posts
they may be adjusted or corrected times. ie 1/8 strip and est. 1/4 times problem is those are adjusted for cars and cant really be used for bike b/c of the differences in gearing/powerband/weight. a few 1/8s give 1/4 times to get you a reference for where you are performaning

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks like 1/4 for sure... work on you launch and you will be in the low 11's for sure.. So tell us, how much you enjoyed it and would you recommend us to give it a try?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I concur, there would have to be a lot going wrong for that to be a 1/8 time. Im quite anxious to get to the track myself just for some fun. I have heard of these bikes getting into the 10's in the 1/4 mile with bolt ons and good riding so Im curious to see what I can get mine to do.........................

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't help add any info to this thread but I do have another drag question, (sorry don't mean to jack your thread kawboyrider) but what do people launch our bikes at and how? I only ask because I'de like to have some input before I start to practice launching my ride (I may end up runnin a 1/4mi pretty soon with a friend). :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by freebird5150
Looks like 1/4 for sure... work on you launch and you will be in the low 11's for sure.. So tell us, how much you enjoyed it and would you recommend us to give it a try?
Man, I loved it! Someone described it as an addiction, and it truly is. I can't wait to do it again so I can work on my imperfections. I suggest if you are interested, just give it a try. Then you'll truly know for yourself. If you ask me, it's the safest way to go fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.