Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kid here in town just bought a 03 Ninja 250 with 7000miles on it all stock..

He has been bugging me to race him for a week or so..So out to the mile road we went..

From dead stop he beat me and from a rolling go also..I could take him off the line and up to 60-65mph then he would just go by me and beat me by about 2-3 links in the 1/4..

My 08 bike has raised needles a home made can and 15 tooth front sprocket..Maybe the sprocket change is what is making the difference..Never the less he smoked me..

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts

He has been bugging me to race him for a week or so..So out to the mile road we went..

From dead stop he beat me and from a rolling go also..I could take him off the line and up to 60-65mph then he would just go by me and beat me by about 2-3 links in the 1/4..

My 08 bike has raised needles a home made can and 15 tooth front sprocket..Maybe the sprocket change is what is making the difference..Never the less he smoked me..
I think so.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I aint gonna bother changing sprockets...He weighs about 50lbs less than me also...His bike is just faster..

Anyone else race a older model?

·
Registered
274 Posts
taller gearing only effects first and sixth gears as far as acceleration goes. there is an advantage to a taller gear in that you can go further without having to shift out of first so you pull ahead when the other guy is shifting to 2nd, etc. if you redline right before the end of the 1/4 and have to shift, it slows you down so it all depends on what you are gearing for. bikes that post sub 3 second times 0-60 do it because they don't have to shift, same with 1/4 for some bikes. if they were geared lower they would be much slower with a shift to 2nd. 50 pounds is a lot for a 250 plus the older ones had a couple more hp.
yes, shame on you. racing on the road is loss of license here so we used to go to the airport. it's just a federal crime there (now). j

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
it's always hard to tell unless the same driver is racing both bikes on a dyno..

could just be he is a better at drag racing.. and the fact that he is 50 lbs. less is a huge factor. especially on a 250..

drag racing is lame anyway..

i can't wait to try track racing..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We could just be riding side by side at 20mph and go for it and he would always pull away after 60 mph..Everytime..His bike is faster, period...Go race someone on a Older one and findout for yourself..

I just raced the kid to shut him up..Now he will be giving me sheet about it for the rest of the summer..I even tried some clutchless shifting also..It only helped a small bit..His bike is just faster..Sux...My bike still looks better..

·
Registered
560 Posts

I say race him again, this time don't redline it, shift it a little quicker at about 12k RPM. After 12k the engine makes LESS power and that could have cost you. See the chart below:

The bigger front sprocket might have actually helped you a bit, I feel the 250r is gear like a tractor from the factory.

When launching, rev it to about 5-6k RPM then dump the clutch. You may pull a little wheelie, so be ready!

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I say race him again, this time don't redline it, shift it a little quicker at about 12k RPM. After 12k the engine makes LESS power and that could have cost you. See the chart below:
True that over 12k the power may drop off but when you shift over the RPM peak, the next gear lands higher in a sweeter spot as well. So it's a trade off.

You just need to find the best compromise of how far to rev out one gear and what RPM you will fall back into on the next gear.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We raced so many times he would just look at me and wave when we hit 60..Everytime..I slipped the clutch, dumped it and always at 60 mph he would catch me and pass me,, then hold a few bike links on me..I could never catch him..The kid can ride..50 lbs make some difference but his bike is just faster..

Some one else is gonna have to drag race a older bike before I will mess with mine..

The R1 might just beat him or even the Tiger..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Why don't you trade bikes and try again?

You may find him beating you still! HAHA! :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just curious, Lloyd... have you ever run your bike against another 08?
This is the first bike I have raced with my 250...Ya I could trade him bikes and see what happens, but I will still wait for someone else to tell us about thier experiance with a older model..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Raced an 06 250 before and after full exhaust and a jet kit. (Im 140lbs he was 170lbs) Beat him to 70 and then lost by 2 lengths to 90 BEFORE (3 times in a row) Never got passed again AFTER all the way to his top end. I had 3 or 4 MPH on him and drove away. He made up a little ground on me from 90 to 105ish To quote him "I thought I was gona catch you but after 100 you were gone dude" We did this to gauge the difference in my mods. Needless to say he was impressed and so was I. I launched at 9500 rpm with a little slipping of the clutch and shifted at 11500 before. Same launch but tached it to 13000 after. and yes even 30 lbs makes a difference. 30 lbs on a bike is like 300 lbs in your car. Would you put 300lbs of fat chic in your back seat at the drag strip??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Before exhaust and kit - I was faster to 70mph, got passed by 75 and knew I was never gona catch him after I hit 90mph. He was pulling away.
After exhaust and kit - I never got passed again. Smoked him to 70mph. He made up a bike and a half of the 2 1/2 bike lead I had at 70 between 70 - 90 and then I drove away. I suspect if I put the stock rear gear back on, I would be able to spot him 2-3 bike in a quarter and still beat him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the first bike I have raced with my 250...Ya I could trade him bikes and see what happens, but I will still wait for someone else to tell us about thier experiance with a older model..
I never raced an older Ninja 250 but I did race a 1990 Honda VTR250. He weights about 50lbs more than me but he still smokes me on top or low end speeds. My 250R tops out about 150km/h but he can reach up to 180km/h.

The only way I cought up to him after was catching his draft.

Our bikes are just slow! :mad:

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Well the good thing is I didn't buy my bike to go fast so these "I lost to [insert car or bike here]" don't make me feel bad. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts