Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my bike last Friday after its 600 mile maintenance from the dealership I bought it from.

All excited to have my bike back and go for some rides, I ran a couple of quick errands, which included filling up the gas tank and headed home. Total of 9 miles. 5 miles of it were before I got gas!

Heading down the freeway after my errands I start noticing the bike feeling a bit unstable. Kind of like a loose front wheel, but visually all looked well as I was heading about 65 miles per hour down the freeway. After trying different parts of the road to see if it was the road feeling, I notice this smoke hue behind me. Where could that be from?!?!?!?!

Next thing I know my oil light kicks on and the engine starts sounding funny (i.e. could that be metal on metal?). I immediately pull over. Fortunately for me the off ramp was right there. The engine starts really sounding strange, and I kill it, afraid of what's going on.

I get off the bike and see oil just pooring out (what's left of it) of the bottom of the engine. Probably spilled about 1/4 of a quart on the ground before it stopped.

You guessed it, my brand new bike is now "toast"!

So I quickly called the dealer before they closed to have them come pick me and the bike up. Now, what do I do?

Anybody have experience or recommendations on this? To me it seems simple. I'm lucky I didn't die! Just check out the pic of that rear tire!

The bike is only 5 weeks old, and has only 721 miles on it. 1.7 miles running without oil at 65-70mph

Do I demand a full refund? New bike? Frankly, I'm freaked about riding all together.

·
Registered
857 Posts
holy shit glad you didn't bail, ive herd of it happening befor on here someone else had a similar story, it is 100% their fault so you should look forward to getting your brand enw bike because that, is toast and just replacing the engine is bs...you could have been seriously injured or killed because of their mistake, has there been any word from them what their going to do for you?

N

·
0 Posts
i'd demand a new bike, and learn to service it urself (at least the easy stuff like oil changes). that is just ridiculous. how the hell do they hire these people if they dont know what they're doing?!?! absolute morons. keep us updated.

·
Registered
871 Posts
yeah, demand a new bike. Same thing happend to a car of a family member after an oil change. Bolt came off oil pan, then engine seized. The shop was obviously at fault and covered the costs to rebuilt the engine. No lawyer or threats needed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Good luck on the "new bike idea". Although I'd want the same thing, it just won't happen. Hope I'm wrong. Sorry about you mishap but it'll all work out. Don't stress too much.:)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would at least ask for a new bike. Start with the dealer owner as they are going to try and get out as cheap as they can, they will start telling you things like it did not hurt anything and blah, blah, blah...

Kawasaki no loner ships whole motors over from japan anymore and I personally would not trust that dealer on ordering the needed parts and rebuilding it. I would ask for a new bike and for them to pay for any title transfer fees and anything related from having to swap for a new bike.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You have the right to be pissed, and they should offer some kind of compensation, but I will tell you right now: Good luck getting a new bike out of the deal! If the engine was internally damaged, which is unlikely in the brief time this happened, the would just replace parts and/or the engine. They will not write-off a $10K bike because of this, sorry to say.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Another reason why I'm the only person that works on my bike...Bastards, I would of lost my mind...

·
Registered
381 Posts
alex, i am currently a law student and here is my semi-professional advice:
SUE
there is no way you can't win this case and make a shit load of money.
p.s.
sorry about your bike man.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I asked the owners son at my local dealership the other day what qualifications their techs had to have to work there. I used to hang out with the guy and he thought I wanted to become a mechanic there so he just flat out told me, "None. No experience required." He said the "A" and "B" techs do the complicated jobs and joe schmoe off the street is the guy that's changing your oil and doing all the other "simple" jobs. I ordered my service manual that day. I'm glad you didn't go down and good luck with everything. Bike dealerships are the biggest tight ass group of people I've ever met and I would be amazed if you're able to get a new bike out of them without a lawyer having your back.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
You definitely have a case. You might be able to get a new bike out of it, but I'd think you need a lawyer to do that. More than likely, (as others have said) they'll replace/fix anything that's broken. Maybe a threat with a lawsuit would be enough to get a new bike.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I'd be so pissed it that shit happened to me! I hear about this happening too often. Nobody works on my bike but me, mainly to avoid shit like this. If that would've happened to me, and I had FULL gear on, I'd have laid the bitch down on PURPOSE! By pulling over, you made a huge case for the dealership since they can BS their way out of it by telling you nothing's broke and it can be fixed. Glad you're ok and got through it safely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by tyler
alex, i am currently a law student and here is my semi-professional advice:
SUE
there is no way you can't win this case and make a shit load of money.
p.s.
sorry about your bike man.
Tyler, What recommendations do you have in finding a good lawyer up here in Portland, OR?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Same thing happened to me last October:

http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42173

I ended up with an extended factory warranty, new parts and some free services for a while. And my ass hurt from being kissed so much.

I got lucky...I killed my engine as soon as my rear tire started sliding around so the engine was OK.

Just go and sit down with the owner of the dealership and see how he handles it. If he handles it like a professional, then see if you guys can work it out between yourselves. FUCK A LAWYER. Blood suckin bastards. Most useless and unredeeming job on the planet. Just stick to your guns and you dont need no lawyer.

Now, if they wanna be assholes then sue the crap outta them. I'm sure the dealership already knows they fucked up and are not going to give you much lip about it.

They are more comcerned about the long term effects this may have on their clientel. They won't screw around. Just be firm with the compensation you want and go handle it like a man.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
P.S.-- This is yet another good reason to lockwire essential fastners (front axle, front and rear calipers, oil and water drain plugs) even if you don't race.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man, glad you weren't hurt from their stupidity!!! When I first rode my bike home from the dealer I could smell something buring...I was thinking it was just the exhaust being new and shit like that...well turns out that whomever filled her with oil did not tighten the cap back on all the way so I had oil blowing onto the exhaust...pissed me off! Good luck with the bike bro!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i would tell them to replace the bike, you bought a brand new bike, not a bike that was new and f-d up by there f-up.

sure a new motor would be nice because then you could do some new mods or some thing, but that wouldnt be a brand new bike from the dealer.

"new bike" all the way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.