Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
With those low miles I would keep the oil in it too but normally I would put fresh oil in for the winter.
more importantly is to get your gas topped off and add fuel stabilizer.
And don't be starting your bike for a couple minutes during the winter months. It only adds condensation to the motor.
Sux some of you guys putting your bikes away already. I just put on 300 miles on a ride to las Vegas. It's actually the beginning of perfect riding weather.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah i agree, on my 750 gsxr id be about 100mph at around 8 or 9k on the tach in 6th gear. On the 14 im at like 3 or 4 k and its just cruisen still in the dosile range. Its great to get up and go quick but just watch how fast you twitch that wrist because the tire will break loose quick at high speeds

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I sure don't go at speeds able to break the tire loose yet, nor do i open the throtle quick enough to slip (with traction control on, that is). In fact with the opening of the season here, i am doing sessions re-learning how to manage that mass/weight and clutch in parking lots (with a friend being coach/drill sergeant).

I take it very slow with this, as i need to put the hours/miles before i even dare say i am able to ride the 14 at the entry level, it's my "redbull" project, so to speak. Basically i designed a training program just like when i started flying; it takes a while. By the end of this season i'll be able to determine if i can keep it or not, safety speaking.

As i told my wife: Apart from airplanes i'll never be able to buy, that bike is my most beautiful mistake ever (cause we all know it was far from wise :p). At first she thought i liked the bike better than her..., but then i said that marrying her wasn't a mistake at all (how to get bonus points ;) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Damn those are nice looking. Kind of look like a squadron of fighter planes :).

In any case, good and bad news for me as far as the project went....yes, went.

The bad news : the province now charging an insane 1300$ every year as of 2016, just for the licence plate for supersports bikes (same for a ZX-6R btw). Then add 600$ for insurance, which i get cheap compared to most around here, and things got a bit tight on the budget and hard to justify with everything else we have to cover for, including 2 growing kids. This means that if i kept it 5-6 years at that fee, i'd be coming close to re-pay the bike over to the government/insurance company. So i had to let go of my beast. As you can guess...it's never fun to let go of your dream machine, but kids get priority any time so i can live with that decision.

The good news is that i did survive the project (!), and that i am still owning a bike, albeit not a supersports.

Not sure if it interests you guys but in any case here's my appreciation of the project.

The bike's power was not my challenge yet, as i was somehow able to keep it cool and i never got to speeds that would require more skill. The throttle response was not harsh so it never surprised me. Yes i had traction control on at all times, i saw no reason why i should take it off. On the other hand, i was lucky to never encounter a situation that would have pushed me out of my skill "enveloppe". This also means i never pushed the bike to see its true potential past some fun 0-120 (km/h) accelerations.

Where i struggled was with the bike's weight/width. This is in part due to my dwarvish legs (29 inch inseam for 5'8). Had me tippy-toeing everywhere, and given the ugly state of our roads in Quebec...it quickly became apparent that a taller guy with the same mindset would have had a much, much easier time. The width of the bike make it comfy but also cut some inches off my legs for reach. I tried a low sargent seat but it didn't help for reach at all sadly as it was wider. I did drop it once while stopped as i put my foot into a recess, though more experience would possibly have avoided me the trouble. Saw it dip inch by inch in slow motion as i tried my best to ease the inevitable fall. Fortunately the only thing that it made was a tiny spot on a fairing. This mishap did slow my learning process, but overall i was improving. However, by the end of last year it became clear that paying that licence plate over and over would eventually affect the family (potential trips, sports, etc.), and that put a shadow on the fun, and given those bikes loose their value so fast over here...it lead to a fated decision last season.

Still, my wife didn't want me to stay with nothing after all the time and money i put in that project, and it was only the yearly licence plate cost + insurance that made things too extreme, after all. So I had to trade it for something that wasn't classed as supersport and the best deal at the time was a brand new vfr800f. At 570$ licence + 300ish insurance...it's less than half the cost of the zx-14r...but also less than half the bike pretty much in every way except finish, can't fault Honda on that one. I'd have picked a ninja 1000 but that bike's seat is high for me and i didn't want to deal with that short leg issue again, while at it. The vfr has about the same ergos as the zx-14r, and at least, i can still ride with peace of mind.

So looking back, i have no regrets in attempting my dream. I'd probably still have it if i could afford it, actually...so i consider myself privileged to have had the chance to own and try such an insane piece of technology.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Meh. It's a strong bike for sure, but I just got one having stepped up from a Honda CBR600RR and didn't shit my pants on the first ride.

It is actually surprisingly easy to handle and very smooth. I didn't send it into the air after getting on the throttle, but the power is there if you really want it.

All that being said I have been riding for over 20 years, but this is my first bike of this size.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts