Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking a trip to the bank and heading back home, I accidentily dropped my 08. I'm not even sure what happened really. I have to go through my yard to get around the cars in the driveway. I was nearing my parking spot, still in the grass, going about .5 mph ... next thing I know its falling and I didn't get my foot down in time. Must have slid on a pine cone or something.

It fell on it's left side where the exhaust is. I picked it back up, checked for damage ... none thankfully. Just some grass stuck in the blinker. I tried starting it back up, but it wouldn't start. I let it chill for about 5 minutes to let all the fluids go back to where they should be and it started right back up. Only now its making a hiss from the front end somewhere. Its a steady sound like ssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I searched the forum and I don't think its the gas tank hiss. I tried starting it with the gas cover open and it still hisses. I took both side fairings off and I don't see any loose hoses. I don't see any fluids leaking either. The issue is I can't really pinpoint where the hiss is coming from due to the engine noise. My only idea is that since it fell on the exhaust side that something in the exhaust came loose or cracked. I have zero experience with engines, so I'm at a loss as to what to check. It still runs fine and everything too.

The other possibility is I'm just being paranoid and it always made that sound, but I'm just now noticing it. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
its probably a snake or squirrel that your bike fell on top of in the yard. watch out you might find yourself driving down the road and reenacting a scene from a national lampoon's movie with a raccoon or other critter crawling up your leg and clutching onto your face while driving.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It fell on it's left side where the exhaust is. quote]

Is this a UK model and that's y the exhaust is on the left? :violent:Sorry bro, it had to be someone,...this time it was me.

On a serious note, that sux man, but to pinpoint the "hiss", I'd play with the throttle to see if that changes it. You could also try shutting off the engine and listening real close for that split second as it shuts down. And finally, the radiator fan was a good suggestion, misalign that just a little with its shroud and maybe its rubbing slightly enough to make a hissing noise.

I hope you find it, I hate new little noises, they drive me insane!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha yeah I meant RIGHT side :D

The fan isn't turning - so its not that. That only kicks on when it gets too hot right?

The ssss noise seems to get a tiny bit louder after the bike warms up and if I give it throttle. Bear with me here as I'm an engine newb, but can I check to see if the carb is on the boots with a visual inspection? I'm not sure what it should look like, so any tips would be much appreciated. Also any other ideas?

·
Powerhungry
38,158 Posts
Haha yeah I meant RIGHT side :D

The fan isn't turning - so its not that. That only kicks on when it gets too hot right?

The ssss noise seems to get a tiny bit louder after the bike warms up and if I give it throttle. Bear with me here as I'm an engine newb, but can I check to see if the carb is on the boots with a visual inspection? I'm not sure what it should look like, so any tips would be much appreciated. Also any other ideas?
sound clip?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just thought of this, not sure once again, but u said it seems to increase as the bike warms up,....the coolant jug is on the right side and just made of plastic. that could have a hairline crack possibly at the top so nothing would leak out of it except air, especially when the engine warms up and creates more pressure. if this sounds resonable, you might wanna smear some soapy water on the outside of it to help expose any invisible cracks. it's a long shot, but might be worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts