Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First off I'd like to say that I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything that fit my problem. That said -

My wife was trying to move the bike and dropped it approximate 3 times (once to right side of the bike against our garage drywall, and twice on left side of the bike to the concrete). There she left it until I got home.

Since then, the turn signals aren't working at all. No indication on the gauges, no blinking - nothing. Infact I've already blown the main fuse as well as the backup fuse. My ride is a beautiful plasma blue 2006 zx6r.

Do you guys have any idea which could be causing that?
A friend of mine said that *sometimes* the filament in a light bulb can make contact, thereby shorting the circuit....but i find that hard to believe.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
First off, kick your wifes ass lol. Invest in some frame sliders if you haven't already. I don't understand why the bike would be shorting because of turn signals busted... it keeps blowing fuses? did you replace it with to high voltage fuse? Does the bike even start?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying ;)

Yeah wife knows better know, lol. There was just light surfaces scratches...its alright i can buff them out.

Anyway - no I haven't put a higher voltage fuse in there. I just got back from the store with a plethora of 10 amp fuses. I did disconnect the front turn signals, but that didn't help.
The bike runs great, except for the signals. As soon I apply power to the bike (not started, but just power) the fuse blows.

I was thinking of disconnecting all the signals and see if it still blows, but I don't have an owners manual (thanks alba action sports!) so I'm having difficulty figuring out how to disconnect the rear signals.

I haven't the slightest clue where to look for any sort of damage to the wiring. Personally I think its the signal switch thats busted...but damn I hope not!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is there any power going to the signals?I'm thinking that since there is no power going to the signals, that the power has no where to go and ends up going back to the fuse and it's to much power for it to handle and it blows... maybe you just need to replace the turn signals[?]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i've ruled that out because the fuse is blowing right away. I don't even have a chance to turn the signal on because as soon as bike power comes on it blows. I think its a short somewhere. I tried reading power/amperage at the fuse but unfortunately my meter is a POS and its just not helping.

Hmmm I CAN however disconnect the signal switch and try it again. Thanks! I didn't think of that before ;o)

·
Registered
53 Posts
No problem dood, just tryin to help a fellow rider out! I hope you figure this out man, I've had this little stuff happen to me on my bike when it was beautiful outside and I got really impatient! Don't worry just keep trying new things and you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HEY You rock dude !

It is the signal switch. I disconnected the line from the left side of the handle bar cluster and turned the bike on - fuse is good.

*sigh* although now i know what it is, I need to take apart that sh** to get to the switch and find out whats shorting it.
If anyone has advice that would be freakin awesome!

Downshift thanks bro ;o) I probably would have worked all day to get those rear lights disconnected but you saved me alot of work. rock on !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhh the feeling when you fix something...aint it great!?!
*grins*

Ok seriously though - it wasn't the switch, but it helped me find the problem - broken wires in the left rear signal were shorting it out. I fixed it and i'm back on the road! (well, legally atleast ;p)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am having the same prob. and still need help....so i searched this topic. Problem: Blinker fuse keeps blowing and so i tested most of the wires, and a friend unplugged/replugged the little square plug under the rear seat...(some little box that was buzing for a bit?) Replaced the fuse and WORKED, problem fixed...........

well next day i am back to square ONE, it still blows the fuse. Any suggestions, or process of your fixing solution? Thankyou for your time, and Bump to this topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.