Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new Icon Domain helmet was knocked off of my seat... it fell on pavement and was chipped pretty good in two spots. So is it true that the helmet is shot and rendered unsafe?

I would hate to go spend another $300+ on a helmet :eek: but don't want to risk my head!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I thought with some manufacturers you can send it back to them and they'll inspect it and give you a yay or nay.

One of the first lessons from MSF was not to balance your helmet on your seat, but rather set it on the ground (sometimes I still put mine on the gas tank resting against the handlebars though... :eek:).

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
It's now compromised in that area. If you hit with that area you risk serious injury. Is your head worth the $200 for a new helmet? If so, replace it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought with some manufacturers you can send it back to them and they'll inspect it and give you a yay or nay.

One of the first lessons from MSF was not to balance your helmet on your seat, but rather set it on the ground (sometimes I still put mine on the gas tank resting against the handlebars though... :eek:).
I do that too. If my helmet falls off my bike I'm buying another. Mine was only $94.00. GMax :) Oh and don't flame, price does not reflect quality, just features.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah mine was a $100 HJC Osiris (DOT and Snell certified) lightly-used from Craigslist, so I'm not super concerned about dropping it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah mine was a $100 HJC Osiris (DOT and Snell certified) lightly-used from Craigslist, so I'm not super concerned about dropping it.
I read somewhere that buying used helmets is a bad idea. When you buy a new helmet and wear it for a good few weeks it molds to your head. Now when you buy it and have a melon head it won't fit correctly. You also do not know if it had been dropped.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I read somewhere that buying used helmets is a bad idea. When you buy a new helmet and wear it for a good few weeks it molds to your head. Now when you buy it and have a melon head it won't fit correctly. You also do not know if it had been dropped.
Yeah, I read the same thing after I bought it. The guy used it for I think 3 months he said, never been dropped, not one scratch on it, clean padding. So oh well, it's just my head... :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd be so pissed off if my helmet failed and my brain was dead and I couldn't get a boner anymore.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Remember your helmet is designed to BREAK when dropped so your head doesn't. This means that after one drop the helmet is damaged and its ability to protect your egg like skull is compromised. Imagine ever being able to ride again...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Remember your helmet is designed to BREAK when dropped so your head doesn't. This means that after one drop the helmet is damaged and its ability to protect your egg like skull is compromised. Imagine ever being able to ride again...
No, I realize that, what I meant is I'm not concerned about dropping it and losing a $100 helmet. I'll just go out and buy another one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I learned that too from MSF... and then learned it again the hard way:rolleyes:. I was not sure if that still holds true with these newer expensive helmets.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
either send it to the manufacture to have it looked at, or buy a new one. ya, it sucks, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. I look at it like it's an airbag, and you may or may not have deployed it. If you did, it's structural integrity is compromised. Do you really want to risk not having it work next time you need it? :)

Check out sportbiketrackgear.com for good prices on a quick replacement. IMO, I will never own an Icon again after trying on Shoei and AGV helmets. Many people also approve of the Scorpion helmets on that site as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts

You are right. On every DOT approved helmet there should be a label inside that says if dropped or damaged to send it back to manufacture for inspection.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts