Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday, I was riding my 250R in for its first service. It was a nice, rainy Saturday morning, after a full day of photographing my friends wedding.

As I was coming to a stop in the center of the lane for a stop sign, my bike slid out. This was probably in the 25 to 35mph area. Not sure exactly.

As far as I can tell, I must have loosened my grip on the clutch a little bit while still holding onto the front brake. That combined with the oil on the roadway from riding center instead of tire tracks cause the back wheel to slide out to the side. Needless to say, I lowsided and slid for a bit. I was lucky enough to have the mind to push myself away from the bike as it was going down and not pinching myself under the bike.

The bike slid for a decent time so I know I was still going at a decent speed. And the slide was straight down the center of the lane. I found the mirror at about the point of contact, at least 10 yards behind the bikes final resting place.

As soon as I had stopped sliding, I got up and turned off the bike. Looked around for a second and then lifted the bike up and wheeled it off the road as the cagers behind me seemed to care less about my safety and more about figuring out if they should honk and yell at me. In fact, a few drove around me without even trying to see if I was alright.

Well, with the bike on the side of the road, I take a quick inventory of the damage. At this point I note that my right mirror and front turn signal are gone. The fairing is cracked, scratch, and missing a chunk. Other than that, it looked alright. Then I tried to start it. First, without thinking about the fact I was still in 4th gear, I tried to start it, nothing. Oh yeah, in gear, so I drop it down to first, and try to get it into neutral. No go. Couldn't get it to neutral. So then I tried to put it into first and start from there, still no go. All the lights were on, but it wouldn't even turn over.

By this time a pickup stopped and checked on me. Nice guy. talked real quick and told him I was good, just had to get the bike going. Shortly after that, the officer (also nice) stopped and checked on me. Filled out a basic accident report, and waited around for me to either get the bike started or someone to come get me. Also offered to call an ambulance, but I refused since all I had was road rash on the knee.

After a bit of monkeying I was able to get the bike into neutral. I had also called the dealership and they sent someone over to check out the bike and see if I could ride it. After I got it into neutral, got it to start up, and it revved and sounded alright. He rode it around for a moment and it rode just fine. After he left, my parents showed up, and they followed me with their SUV to the dealership. As I was leaving I noted that my handlebars were crooked. The bar itself seems normal, just not quite in its normal neutral position.

So overall, I am down a mirror, turn signal, fairing, whatever needs to be done up front to get the handlebars straight, brake lever, and possibly exhaust. The exhaust was scuffed a bit, but not dented or bent.

So I am awaiting the estimate Monday on what will be needed for the bike, then figuring out if I claim it or not. Not sure, but I think my deductible is $250. If I do claim it, I am claiming the jacket also since it was scuffed up in the arm a bit.

But yeah, that is my story, do with it what you will.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, glad to hear you're okay.

IMHO, unless you're in trouble with insurance, it sounds like a claim is a no-brainer. You probably have $1500+ worth of damage from the sounds of it, possibly more.

Also, from my understanding of insurance (at least in Indiana), you may not be able to claim the jacket. In Indiana, they only allow you to claim your helmet if it's your fault and the jacket is covered by home owner's or renter's insurance (wtf, right?). If it's somebody else's fault, then of course you can claim anything at all that was damaged.

·
Registered
289 Posts
yea, glad you're fine. i remember you said it dropped. Hope you can get it up for this weekend.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll get the estimate tomorrow.

As for the jacket, when I got to the dealer, they said I could claim the jacket. I assume it goes in the $1000 accessory coverage.

As for staying out of the slippery center, I think I just need to be more choosy about which kind of center we are speaking :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
As I was leaving I noted that my handlebars were crooked. The bar itself seems normal, just not quite in its normal neutral position.

So overall, I am down a mirror, turn signal, fairing, whatever needs to be done up front to get the handlebars straight
When you get more info from whoever is looking over/fixing the bike, can you report back on what needs to be adjusted to straighten the bars? Mine are tweaked as well from a drop about 1/4-1/2 an inch to the right.

·
Registered
734 Posts
not having a go, but 4th gear? sounds a bit high for around town, even for a 250. In the wet, I keep the gearing low, cause I find it helps with control and handling, especially under braking.

You also said you were coming to a stop. Do you not work down the gears if you're anticipating a stop? I find it helps if you shift into first when the bike is still moving. Some bikes have trouble going from say 4th to 1st when there's no movement in the transmission.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not having a go, but 4th gear? sounds a bit high for around town, even for a 250. In the wet, I keep the gearing low, cause I find it helps with control and handling, especially under braking.

You also said you were coming to a stop. Do you not work down the gears if you're anticipating a stop? I find it helps if you shift into first when the bike is still moving. Some bikes have trouble going from say 4th to 1st when there's no movement in the transmission.
I do shift down. Around town in this area is a lot of 55 mph roads. So I cruise 55mph-60mph in 6th gear on a 250R, sometimes 5th. I had just started braking so I still had a bit of time before the intersection. Probably should have just done some normal down shifts a little earlier.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you get more info from whoever is looking over/fixing the bike, can you report back on what needs to be adjusted to straighten the bars? Mine are tweaked as well from a drop about 1/4-1/2 an inch to the right.
I'll talk to them Monday and find out if I can. Probably be a case by case basis thing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, dude. I've bent my bars to the left before. Want to know how I bent them back to normal? The bars bent back the other way when I low-sided lol... :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sucks man, but at least your fine. I remember when I locked up my breaks when I first started riding with some friends. I was speeding and not paying attention to the upcoming stop light. As they where stopped my back wheel was sliding back and forth as I went by them. Luckily for me the light had just turned green:eek:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't using the rear brake, so more like maybe I should have been.....

And, according to the state of Michigan, once the repair estimate reaches 75% of the bike, the bike has to be totaled out. 75% of the damn bike is all plastics! What the hell is wrong with this picture. Sorry, I don't like the idea I am going to lose my bike, and be out the $500 or so difference in value and cost of bike.

Dealer is looking at how to get the price under that 75%.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welp, with the bike totaled out, and my debt slate at zero, and me dieing to get on a new bike, I am getting a 650 Versys. WooHoo.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Welp, with the bike totaled out, and my debt slate at zero, and me dieing to get on a new bike, I am getting a 650 Versys. WooHoo.
Fantastic dude, well it looks like you learned everything you could from the spill, and that's what counts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts