Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducati 748 deal ... HELP!!

2K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  skywalker 
#1 ·
Damnit...okay, so I want a 999, but the cost is up there...I love both the Ducati 748/749 and 998/999's...then I saw the release for the 07 6R, and I made the decision to spring on that when they come out, and hold off on the Ducati for my bike after I wring out the 07 6R...but I got a call from a good buddy of mine who knows a guy who will sell me an 02 Ducati 748 for $7,000 with 3,200 miles on it. My buddy said it was clean, and only had one scuff on one side like someone forgot the kickstand and had to ease it to the ground.

Should I do it? I'm still waiting on pictures, and I'd have to try to borrow about $1,500 to make the purchase, but I think I could work that without too much trouble...

What do you guys think? I'm really torn! The Duc won't drop value as much as the 6R will, so if I want to switch to one or the other later, I'll have a bit more equity...gah...help! lol

#5 ·
Get the Ducati, damn kawis drop in price way too fast. I just picked up a 06 749D last week, thats why im not on this forums much anymore hahaha but I still ride my zx6r. I just got some SS brakelines for it. Anyways, get the ducati it is such a different machine compared to I4's. The Twins really growl when your give it gas. My stock 749D is a lot louder than my zx6r with an akra slip on. I cant imagine how loud the 749 will be with a termignoni exhaust or remus. Just watch out for some clutch issues on the 748 since it is older...

#7 ·
Damnit guys...just talked to another good buddy of mine who has immaculate credit, and he said he'd have no problem loaning me the money (he offered before I could even ask, once I told him about the situation). Only hitch is I'd have to get the guy to wait 4 to 6 weeks before I could buy, to give me time to sell the 636 and save up an extra grand or so. I sent him an email asking for pics, telling him about the wait, and I told him if I could meet with him to look at the bike I could give him a $500 deposit to hold it as early as Monday. Don't know what he'll say, but I'm so stoked...

2002 748 - NADA book is $7,460 and he's throwing in a Dainese Ducati Corsa leather jacket, which is like $500...there's the scuff on the side, so I'm going to try to talk him down to $6,500 (low book is $5,600)...so excited. Keep the comments and opinions coming to help my brain process the situation! =) I'll keep the thread updated...so excited. [:M6]

#8 ·
As long as it has all maintenence records you will be aight. Really at that point the bike would've only needed the 600 service but its a nice thing to have. And as long as you take care of a duc and do all the work at the right intervals they will hold up and run great for you.

Only thing I would say is get some pipes for that beast and a open clutch cover so you can hear that chatter:D

#9 ·
Meh...he said he wasn't in a hurry to sell, but he wasn't interested in taking a deposit to hold the bike for four to six weeks (which I sort of expected). So he's putting the bike up on eBay for 10 days supposedly later in the week, and told me he'd "call me" if he still has the bike in my time frame.

Sounded to me like he was just trying to get me to change my tune, but there isn't shit I can do to speed things up other than ask my friend to borrow $3k instead of $1.5k, but I'm definitely not willing to do that. Definately helps me keep a level head though...so I guess I'll just keep my eye out for his auction (if any of you see a yellow 2002 Ducati 748 from the Tampa, FL area with 3xxx miles in the next week or so on ebay motors, let me know)...I'll keep tabs on it, and if it doesn't sell I'll drop him another email.

#10 ·
What mods do the bike has? tastful mods like termi exhaust w/ chip, slave cylinder, dry clutch pressure plate are all mods that should be taken into account IMO. The exhaust because it needs the extra pick up, the aftermarket slave because OEM ones tend to leak, and pressure plates because it is the shit! BTW does he have a Bi or Solo? mine came with both which is a BIG plus..Bi sub frame with all parts, and a solo tail also, a solo tail will fit on a bi but not the other way around.

Also when was the last service. The belts has to be change every 12 or 2yr, so even if the mileage is low the service records has to be taken into account. I say dont be afarid of a higher mileage ducati if it has full service records.

BTW here is my bike, a little salt to your wounds...

#12 ·
I love the looks of the Duc but I think I would hold off for a new 6r. I had a buddy who had a few Ducatis and he said maintenance is more of a pain in the ass on them, but that didn't stop him from buying several though. He was pretty wealthy and liked having the hottest ride. But he also didn't really ride it that often. I think the kawasaki would be a more reliable daily ride.

I guess it boils down to whats more important to you, wanting something "practical" or exclusive.

#13 ·
Originally posted by 2k6r520
What mods do the bike has? tastful mods like termi exhaust w/ chip, slave cylinder, dry clutch pressure plate are all mods that should be taken into account IMO. The exhaust because it needs the extra pick up, the aftermarket slave because OEM ones tend to leak, and pressure plates because it is the shit! BTW does he have a Bi or Solo? mine came with both which is a BIG plus..Bi sub frame with all parts, and a solo tail also, a solo tail will fit on a bi but not the other way around.

Also when was the last service. The belts has to be change every 12 or 2yr, so even if the mileage is low the service records has to be taken into account. I say dont be afarid of a higher mileage ducati if it has full service records.

BTW here is my bike, a little salt to your wounds...
Hey, thanks for rubbing it in. heheh

There's three things that could happen. My friend could take it upon himself to offer me the $3k (he knows I need it, but I'm not going to ask, and I already told him that I was just going to sit it out and see if the bike's still available in a few weeks), the guy could change his mind and offer to sell it to me (doubtful), or it could not sell and then I'd get another shot in a few weeks (also doubtful). So it looks like I'll have to pass on this. Man, why couldn't he have shown up in a month from now? lol

As for the mods, I'm not sure what it had, still haven't seen it (he decided to not send me pics since he's not going to wait for me) and the guy I know who did see it doesn't know shit about Ducatis or bikes in general (nevermind that he's a motorcycle salesman...it's such a joke). The guy seemed like he would have taken care of it, though. He has money, and runs an exotic car business on eBay. I'll definately keep the service records in mind if he shows up again, though. What are the normal service intervals I should look for?

#15 ·
Meh...now I have the Ducati kick again. It's hard to shake. I got too excited over that 748 (which hopefully will still work out), so now I'm thinking seriously about skipping the new ZX-6R entirely and just concentrating on finding a Duc.

#16 ·
12k or 2yr for the belts. ever 6k or so for valve check and at that time you want to check all the opener rockers, they tend to flake and are about $50 a peice from the dealer, aftermarket replacement are about $80. Most replace them with aftermarket to avoid replacing them again because it seems ducati still have not fix the problem.

#17 ·
12k or 2yr for the belts. ever 6k or so for valve check and at that time you want to check all the opener rockers, they tend to flake and are about $50 a peice from the dealer, aftermarket replacement are about $80. Most replace them with aftermarket to avoid replacing them again because it seems ducati still have not fix the problem.
Right on. Well fuck, man, my friend just sent me a MySpace saying that if I want to get the bike, he can loan me the $3k as soon as I need it. Jesus, where do I find these people? lol I'm trying pretty desperately to get back in contact with the guy. Hopefully I'm not too late. :/

So service records...at 3.2k miles, will it just have had the 600 mile service, or is there a 1,000 or 3k mile service as well?

Fucking roller coaster...I was all down, and now I'm excited again. :/

#18 ·
Here's the thing with Ducati - and believe me, I work with these things - you have to be very diligent with servicing them. With japanese bikes, everything but gasoline is pretty much optional. You forgot to change oil for 10000 miles - no big deal, bike won't even notice. Valves out of whack - it'll still run. Ducati are very unforgiving of any negligence. You must follow every service requirement as they tell you to. If you do - they'll treat you well for a long time. Unfortunately, buying used, you just never know what the original owner screw up. Ducati service isn't cheap, so in the long run the bike will cost a lot of money.

#19 ·
Meh...still waiting for the guy to contact me back. :/ Haven't seen the bike up on ebay yet, though. As for the service, I've started riding a lot less frequently lately, and a few months after I'd get the Duc I'd also get a cage for DD, so I wouldn't put on the miles so much that it'd be all THAT expensive, but yeah I've been cruising the Ducati board (ducati.ms) for a few months getting all the info on maintenance that I can.

#21 ·
ask him when the bike was last service and what was done, then just follow the 12k or 2yrs for the belts, but most of all ask him about the Rockers and ask for the mechanic info and call him directly on the rockers to see what is up, the parts are the most expensive part it is the labor. Im also on ducati.ms, SN is AZcamel.

Moloko, how much is the vin search?

#22 ·
ask him when the bike was last service and what was done, then just follow the 12k or 2yrs for the belts, but most of all ask him about the Rockers and ask for the mechanic info and call him directly on the rockers to see what is up, the parts are the most expensive part it is the labor. Im also on ducati.ms, SN is AZcamel.

Moloko, how much is the vin search?
my s/n on ducati.ms is dragknt. I'm not very creative, and I suck at remembering more than one username. Still waiting to hear back...I know I'm being anal, and in reality it's only been like four hours...but I don't have his phone number or full name, so I have no other way of contacting him until he gets back to me about it. worried he'll post it on ebay before he reads his email. :/

#25 ·
Humm...I tracked down the company he works for and got a few numbers to call, and the guy I talked to said someone went down there yesterday and picked it up. [V]

But now that I'm on the hunt, there's about four or five other Tamburini-era duc's in my area for the same price range, so I spent most of the afternoon sending out emails and placing phone calls...haven't had a hit yet, but all the calls got voicemail and the emails, well...that'd take a while anyway. I say I'll give it a few days to hear back, then I'll go back to pining over the 07 6R. :/

There's a REALLY mint 996 for sale on ducati.ms for right where I want to pay, but it'd cost me $1,500 to fly up there and u-haul it back...(southern Maine)...the up side being that I would be able to stop for a day on the way back at the dragon to stretch the Duc's legs...but I'm not sure I really want to mess with buying it sight unseen and having it shipped. The guy seems honest enough, and I bought my 636 that way from a dude in AZ off eBay, but I figure I got really lucky with my 636, and don't really want to test that luck. We'll see what happens, I guess. [B)]

Any KF guys in Southern Maine feel like taking a little drive/ride to take a look at it and get pictures and impressions for me so I can have an outside opinion? As long as I know it exists, and the guy knows that someone I know knows where he lives, I'd feel 100x better about just having it shipped here (I'd save about $1,000 in the process that way). I could PayPal you some ends, if you needed it.

#26 ·
My main riding buddy has an 02'998 and keeps it MINT. I have rode it and it is a fun bike BUT, I personally think Duc's are overrated.His bike has roughly 6600 miles and it seems like there is ALWAYS something wrong with it. Not the most reliable bikes. He has even admitted he's afraid to go on long road trips because of the dependability.

Another thing, it seems to run out of power fast I think it redlines at 10k. I would own one for the right price, BUT I would have a japanese bike in the garage as well.

Here's a picture of the Parts Unlimited Ducati pit guys working on my buddy's clutch this summer at the AMA Road America round . I thought that was very cool of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.