Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience or input on a Duc Monster S2R? There's an '06 model for sale in my area with under 4k miles. I saw that it MSRP'd for $8995. And I'm sure the dealer wants every bit of $5-6k for it. I'm just curious on the bike, since this one is different from other models I've seen. For one, it's EFI and air cooled. I have experience with air cooled, no issues, but that bike was carb'd as well. This one also has a wet clutch, which I would rather have. I don't enjoy the clack of a dry clutch at all. It's also a street fighter that has the single sided swingarm and 5 spoke wheel that comes on Speed Triples as well.

Bike is what I'm looking for with 70hp and 50trq. Since I'm commuting back and forth to work and various city riding, my sportbike is no longer suited for my immediate needs. I also would rather have something more comfortable and just a different bike overall.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Anyone have experience or input on a Duc Monster S2R? There's an '06 model for sale in my area with under 4k miles. I saw that it MSRP'd for $8995. And I'm sure the dealer wants every bit of $5-6k for it. I'm just curious on the bike, since this one is different from other models I've seen. For one, it's EFI and air cooled. I have experience with air cooled, no issues, but that bike was carb'd as well. This one also has a wet clutch, which I would rather have. I don't enjoy the clack of a dry clutch at all. It's also a street fighter that has the single sided swingarm and 5 spoke wheel that comes on Speed Triples as well.

Bike is what I'm looking for with 70hp and 50trq. Since I'm commuting back and forth to work and various city riding, my sportbike is no longer suited for my immediate needs. I also would rather have something more comfortable and just a different bike overall.
Here is my take...I have had two Ducatis in my life. :)

- The monster is not going to be any different than your current superbike. They were designed to be plain bikes that went fast and had a race feel. The designer, Miguel Galluzzi, said a bike needs basic things. Handlebars, an engine, and two wheels. Hence the monster. If you are looking for something with more comfort I am not 100% sure the monster would be the best choice. :)
- The motor will feel slow for you. Yes the bike is light but the engine will feel less peppy. It will dig hard out of the turns and so on, but it will lose its pace quickly compared to the ZX6R.
- They also tend to vibrate a bit more which is another thing that would lead me away from it as a commuting bike.

Those are the bads. I will say this. I have owned many many bikes in my life. My two favorite are my Ducatis. They are such amazing bikes that it cant be put into words. My multistrada has everything I could ever want. Braided lines, brembo brakes, Marchesini wheels, Ohlins suspension. The bikes come decked out but you pay for it.

What are you looking for in your next bike? Fast but comfy? Sport tourer? Dual Sport? What kind of riding do you want to do besides commuting. :)

Oh and here is my old 749S I sold...:(

Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fast but comfy leaves me with two bikes. The Street and Speed Triples. Slow but comfy with leaves me with many options. A 650r, Bandit 600 or 650, SV650 and so on. I went and looked at the bike after work and they are wanting too much for it. They are asking $6199. I told them I would just get back in touch with them. I have the money to negotiate, but I want to get out of my bike as well. My bike has some minor cosmetic issues, so I know they would offer me in the high 2s to very low 3s for my bike. I figured I could work them down to the low to mid 5s on the s2r 800.

As for what I want, I am ready for a different experience on a bike. I love owning a zx6r, but I'm ready to move on to something else. I still love to get it up into high RPMs, but I can easily move into something that is much slower. I'm busier these days and I'm more into just commuting and city riding. It's all I really have time for anymore. I can easily do this on a sportbike, but it's not as comfortable. I can make my bike more comfortable with handlebar risers, but I'm just wanting a new experience on a new to me bike.

Only other riding I'm interested into outside of commuting is highway traveling to see friends or some mountain carving. Just don't have much time to get it done anymore these days. I used to ride just to ride 3 years ago, and now I don't do that at all.

After looking at the S2R in person, it's not exactly what I'm looking for and the price they were asking for it made that more clear in my mind. If they were wanting to sell it for low to mid 4s I would be a lot more interested. My bike is paid for and has been since I bought it, so if I'm going to put more money into a bike I want to make sure it's for a price I want or performance that I want.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Everyone always mentions the SV650 but never the SV1000. The 1000 has about the same HP as a zx6 but has alot more torque. The riding position is similar to it's little brother 650.

My buddy has an '11 monster. Like mentioned above, this bike will feel slow. It's fun as all he'll but slow. The riding position is much more comfortable. When we swapped and then swapped back, he told me my bike (05 636) was the most uncomfortable bike he had ever ridden. He is 5' 4" and I'm 6'.

His monster is really light and flickable but just a little under powered. It really wierd how you don't see much in front of you. Just handlebars and road. It almost feels like a mountain bike. You may want to think about a bike with some what of a fairing for commuting.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a used monster, and I sure as hell would never buy a used Ducati of any model, except from a very VERY short list of people. You have no clue on the maintenance and if it was done correctly and by a qualified person. Even on a monster, put aside plenty of cash for oil changes and that valve adjustment which may be coming up in another 2-3k miles. Things to think about with ducati.

Do you have a qualified Ducati shop in town?

How often do you like to mod your bike, Ducati parts can be hell to wait for.

How much do you ride in a year? If you use as a daily commuter, you going to rack up the miles fast. Which means you're going to have to do the maintenance at sooner intervals.

If you lack a certified Ducati shop in town, I would pass on it. In the event you had a real problem you can't (or shouldn't) just take these bikes to any 'bike' repair shop.

just my .02 If you really want to convince yourself, get a hold of the factory maintenance/repair manual for this year bike you are considering. Leaf thru it, see if the maintenance is something you think you can do yourself, if not, that automatically places you at the mercy of a dealership. This is what torpedoed my yearning for an 1198 SP model. I got the manual and said FUCK THAT shit with the maintenance. So the ducatisti snubb their noses at me "can't hack the maintenance, don't buy one" big deal. They are just more things to think about with them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In all honesty, I wish I would have never sold my '01 Bandit 600. It is a bike that would be 10 years old now, but the bike would just keep going and going. For what I sold it for I could have kept the bike and then hibernated my 636 till I sold it and just ride the Bandit around. That bike was ultimate comfort and could still 100+ mph pulls on the highway. Clearly not as fast as the zx6r, but it can still do it. That bike was just a lot of fun and I underestimated how much fun I truly had with the bike. That was one bike I would just get out and ride due to the comfort.

For a sportbike, my zx6r is really comfortable on the bum. Just leaning over is what I'm tired of doing and my back hurts more these days then it has before. But I've also sustained a back injury from a wreck on this bike last year. I'm not ready to give up riding yet, but I can already see I'm going to need something that is more relaxed on my spine.

I've given some thought into the SV1000. There just isn't that many for sale in my area. There was one for sale in my area around Fall of last year, but it's since been sold. I would really like to have an old Bandit again, just because I put that bike through hell as a new rider and it had no hiccups. I haven't had any major problems with the zx6r, but just an accumulation of small headaches. I also had a very minor accident a month ago, that wasn't my fault, and it allowed me to recoup a good sum of funds that I'm not using to repair the bike. Since it was cosmetic and very minor at that, I didn't care too much about it.

I've had 3 accidents on this bike as well compared to none when I was on my Bandit. One was a lowside going about 5mph leaving my work parking lot the wrong direction. Had the bike a week when that happened. That was my own stupid fault and the only damage was a scratched stator cover. Then had a moderate wreck last year that left me with some scars and a hefty tab to fix the bike. Then one a month ago that was really minor, but also nailed the idea in my head that I may just not need to be a sportbike rider.

I'm not superstitous but I analyze why certain things happen in life and change my directions to what I feel will better accomodate me. Where I'm at now I feel a bit more torque and less horsepower is more of what I need, compared to less torque and a lot of more horsepower.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a used monster, and I sure as hell would never buy a used Ducati of any model, except from a very VERY short list of people. You have no clue on the maintenance and if it was done correctly and by a qualified person. Even on a monster, put aside plenty of cash for oil changes and that valve adjustment which may be coming up in another 2-3k miles. Things to think about with ducati.

Do you have a qualified Ducati shop in town?

How often do you like to mod your bike, Ducati parts can be hell to wait for.

How much do you ride in a year? If you use as a daily commuter, you going to rack up the miles fast. Which means you're going to have to do the maintenance at sooner intervals.

If you lack a certified Ducati shop in town, I would pass on it. In the event you had a real problem you can't (or shouldn't) just take these bikes to any 'bike' repair shop.

just my .02 If you really want to convince yourself, get a hold of the factory maintenance/repair manual for this year bike you are considering. Leaf thru it, see if the maintenance is something you think you can do yourself, if not, that automatically places you at the mercy of a dealership. This is what torpedoed my yearning for an 1198 SP model. I got the manual and said FUCK THAT shit with the maintenance. So the ducatisti snubb their noses at me "can't hack the maintenance, don't buy one" big deal. They are just more things to think about with them.

As soon as the dealer told me that they couldn't work on a Ducati, I lost all my interest. The closest dealer is in Tulsa, OK, which is about an hour and forty five minutes from where I live. That wasn't worth the hassle to me at any price point above $4k.

Overall, the bike was in very good condition. Had carbon fiber front fender, side panels, chain guard, heel plates, LV exhaust, and fender eliminator cover. It was more carbon fiber than I would ever want, since I'm actually not a fan of carbon fiber. The bike was very comfortable and super light, but I know I would never be able to work out a deal that would make me happy.

Looks like my quest continues for a bike that is comfortable, yet fun, for my needs.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Going from 4 to less cylinders raises the torque and lowers the horsepower, and has a broader powerband.

For a lower budget, the 500cc and 650cc Ninjas are nice, or the SV-650 or V-Strom 650 Suzukis. The 1000cc V-Strom is more for riding with a passenger, or someone that wants to spin the back tire coming out of a corner and go more than 100 miles per hour.

The older air cooled Suzuki Katana 600 or 750 is very cheap and very reliable, with easier valve adjustment than the shim and bucket method. You would sweat more at stoplights in the summer.

Another direction is the Kawasaki KLR 650 single cylinder, or the Suzuki DRZ-400 Supermoto, if your legs are fairly long and you do not go much over 80 miles per hour. You would have a lot more confidence with these on gravel. The Suzuki has a much narrower dirt bike style seat not as comfortable for long trips, but better for standing up.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ducati service isnt too bad just dont take it to a dealer, and if you do have them just do the valves and belts. Can be done for $500. The cost adds up when they start tacking other stuff on line oil changes and crap like that.

If you want comfy, fast and fun to ride why not buy a ducati multistrada. I went from 11 years of sportbikes to one and I love it. Plenty fast, handles great, I have done 500 miles a day on it, and the sound of it is heaven. :)

I would also look at the Kawi Versy ...:)

joe

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Ninja 650r has had a good amount of appeal to me. They are easily obtainable near my zip code and for a good price. I would really want a street triple or speed triple, but I'm having a hard time finding a used one near my zip code.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you guys think about this SV1000? This looks pretty sweet and is right around my price range. I could pay cash for this bike easily and have power and comfort.

Suzuki SV1000S

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look at post 12 and tell me what you think. Probably going to go and have a look tomorrow or Saturday.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
What do you guys think about this SV1000? This looks pretty sweet and is right around my price range. I could pay cash for this bike easily and have power and comfort.

Suzuki SV1000S
I really like these. I almost bought one before my 636. Like I said before same hp as 600 class bike but more torque. The bike is heavier but it is skinny in-between your legs.

I highly suggest you check it out. Just seems to me that riding a 650 V-twin after a inline-4 600 you my be wanting a little more in the power department. The 1000 is great because it has good power but not overwhelming by any means.

My buddy has one that he put gsxr suspension and brakes on. This totally changes the riding position so not what your looking for but just so you know upgrades are available.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This one is a SV1000s, not the sv650.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Yes I'm aware if this. I'm saying I'd buy and recommend the 1k over the 650. The 650 will seem very gutless after being on a 600. The 1000 is more on par with 600cc sportbikes but the delivery is more friendly. Also, stock riding position is much more comfortable. Plus it has a wind screen. Not too bad looking in my opinion either.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The seller doesn't want to drop the price. I'm going to offer $3700 and hope he takes it. It NADA low retails for right around $3400. I'm going to look at the bike today and most likely will purchase tomorrow.

What is a good thing is I work in a bank and get to have loans on the fly. Got a 90 day bridge loan to cover the price of the new purchase and give me time to sell my ZX6r. If it doesn't sell I can probably do a bit of a principal pay down and then extend the loan again. I don't want my liquid cash tied up in two bikes, so in order to get this bike, I was either needing to trade it, sell it quick, or bridge a loan. Bridging a loan was the best option at the time being.

If I decide not to purchase this bike, I will look into other bikes that are right around the price point of this SV1000. I decided if I was to ever get a more expensive bike it was going to be a Speed Triple, Street Triple, or Ducati. Outside of that, I rather have a cruiser or a sport standard.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts