Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i gotta ducati question..
now before anyone reminds me this is a kawasaki forum.. yes i know.. but i also know the kawigurus are very knowledgeable ppl and hopefully can help me out..
my buddy just bought a used 2003 749s .. rode it around today .. the maintainance light started blinking... and then stayed on... he called some of his friends and found out.. the bike is runnin at around 217 - 220 degrees F.. and thats a lil high for that bike.. so we checked the oil and the coolant and everything looks fine.. we just dont know what else could it be..
the bike has 6000 miles, and in mint condition.. the guy we bought it from works at a dealership.. (sold it privately though) and said he had the 6k service done and has all the records for it..
so any suggestions on what may be goin on and how it can be fixed.. w/o taking it to a ducati dealership and spending hella money..
thanks guys

·
Neutered
9,683 Posts
Take it to a dealer and have them pull the code from the ECU. The mathesis tool they use to pull the codes is well over a grand, and it's the only way to tell what the ECU's saying.

As for running hot...there's a million things it could be, same as any other bike. Check the radiator fins for deformation, check the coolant for level and freshness-of-coolant, check the oil for level and consistency and make sure it's only oil in there (i.e. not a blown gasket), etc. If you want to get involved, drain the coolant and pull the water pump cover off and inspect the impellers and the bearings for proper motion, remove the impeller and make sure there aren't any shavings or anything in there that would signify a blown bearing. Also, if it's hot where you're at, or you're sitting in traffic, the bike WILL run hot. Same as any other bike.

EDIT
But if your boy seriously bought a Ducati without being willing or having the ability to spend decent money on it, it was a VERY poorly informed purchase. Just in parts and maintenance, my 916 ran me about $3k to $4k/year to keep her tip top. Average dealer cost just for scheduled maintenance is $800-$1000 every 6k miles and $1200 to $1400 every 12k miles, and that doesn't include wearable parts like pads, tires, etc., or the odd part that will fail now and then.

Oh yeah, and tell him to not skimp on the maintenance either. You can't put it off like you can on a japaneese bike. Blow the maintenance window by 500 miles or fudge on keeping good records and you can kiss your resale (and your reliability) goodbye.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
yeah ducati is not known for reliability that is for sure.
mine has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks for a voltage regulator, prior sprocket recall, bike stalling, clutch master shot.
Thank god for the warranty...

Yeah skywalker the ducati experience, she sure is damn good looking to bad she is always out for surgery...POS Italians

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
its threads like these that keep me going back to the "jap traps" :D

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Even the Italians buy JAP bikes-the DUCK is to expensive
Some of them maybe. But some of them are priced right in my opinion. The JAP bikes are like Civics and Corrollas and what not. EVERYBODY gets them because they work and are relatively cheap in all aspects of ownership.

But I wouldn't hesitate getting a 999R if the money was in my pocket. there are just too many details, nuances, and "specialness" about the bike that would make owning it a pure joy for me (and hence, not too expensive). Now a fully loaded pickuptruck? THATS expensive

Of course, I also have my eye on an MV ;)

·
Neutered
9,683 Posts
yeah ducati is not known for reliability that is for sure.
mine has been in the shop for the last 2 weeks for a voltage regulator, prior sprocket recall, bike stalling, clutch master shot.
Thank god for the warranty...

Yeah skywalker the ducati experience, she sure is damn good looking to bad she is always out for surgery...POS Italians
lol...

1. What did I tell you about buying a Ducati that was magically faster, stronger, newer, and cheaper? Cheap, fast, good, you can only have 2. It applies to bikes too. :D (ignore the loopholes in that analogy, you know what I mean)

2. Don't complain about the time it's been in the shop...see #1. A higher per-capita of 1098's have had warranty issues than any other Ducati superbike other than MAYBE the rocker issue on the early gen 748's. They're probably just a little overwhelmed.

3. The 999 didn't have half the issues the 1098 has, just...you know...fyi...it was actually a very reliable machine, if maintained.
Stop crushing my 999 dreams guys :D
lol...dude, it's not THAT bad. The maintenance sucks, but it's not unexpected...it's easy to plan for. Ducatis would be a HORRIBLE choice for a daily rider.

Even the Italians buy JAP bikes-the DUCK is to expensive
Yeah, because Ducati's are like...super affordable in Italy? Or because all Italians are super well-off and could afford a Ducati, but choose not to buy one? :rolleyes:

If you want a japaneese-reliable (and japaneese-charactered) italian bike, buy a new (like 04+) Aprilia.

·
Registered
719 Posts
the MV F4 Senna has been running like a champ, been @ the dealer for 600 miles servie (valve clearance adjustment/check), oil change, etc. etc. and again at 2k for oil change. It runs great, no batt problems, no stalls, nothin.

For 35k i would sure as hell hope not! So far its been italian exotica in looks and performance without the italian PITA except the dough sunk in for mad mods like magnesium triple clamp, mag eccentric hub, etc.! :D

·
Neutered
9,683 Posts
the MV F4 Senna has been running like a champ, been @ the dealer for 600 miles servie (valve clearance adjustment/check), oil change, etc. etc. and again at 2k for oil change. It runs great, no batt problems, no stalls, nothin.

For 35k i would sure as hell hope not! So far its been italian exotica in looks and performance without the italian PITA except the dough sunk in for mad mods like magnesium triple clamp, mag eccentric hub, etc.! :D
Normal italian performance motorcycles are reliable as you'd want as long as you properly maintain them and treat them like the babies they are...they're mechanically fragile, but built well enough that all they need is regular maintenance. The 1098 is a bike as typically mechanically fragile as Italian bikes are with the build quality of a typical Japaneese bike. :dunno: I've been saying it since before they even hit the showroom floor, and the doubters are just now starting to realize it. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh man, the 999 is an awesome bike. I still want one. I know many people hated the front end and that strange side fairing but I love it. It's unique and only a 749 or 999 have that look, very unique and cool I think.

They are hot as heck to ride in the summer due to the hot exhaust system, so i've heard. I would hack off the cat converter myself though and just run a straight pipe to an aftermarket muffler. Possibly try to keep the Ducati remote exhaust valve in the pipe.

That bike gives me wood every time i see one.

My freind(Kabooki) on another forum just totaled his new 848, but he owns another bike so he can still ride. Insurance paid it off AND the dealership bought it back from him in wrecked condition so he actually made money from it. I believe he hit some sand in the road and laid it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
just dropped $1600 on my 916 for regular service (valves, timing belts, etc) a few weeks ago. Italian bikes are like a raging drug addiction, expensive and hard to kick.
The sound of the L twin makes it all worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.