Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning another trip to Deals Gap this Sunday. Yay! I recently bought a helment camera and hope to get some good riding footage.

My buddy also has a camera, a tank cam. I'm thinking it would be cool for both of us to simultaneously record our runs on the dragon and then edit the video together, like split screen or picture in picture or something. I think it would be neat to give both a 1st and 3rd person perspective at the same time.

Any nerds out there know how to do this kind of stuff? Is it feasable for an amateur? I don't have any experience with editing software and my buddy only has very limitied experience.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
it souldnt be to hard. i havenever edited video before, but im sure that you can aquire some decient video editing software. that is a pretty cool idea though. the only thing i can think of is, it would be cool if both cameras were mounted on the same bike, so that would be a true 3rd person and then what the driver sees.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That'd be cool Flo. I'd really like to see another video from dragon. I think I watched all of them available online :)

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by nerijusj
That'd be cool Flo. I'd really like to see another video from dragon. I think I watched all of them available online :)
Well I'll post up something when I get back. I don't know if it will be a the dual setup I'm talking about since I haven't figured out how to do it yet. But I should have something.

I'm just wondering If I should mount the camera on the bike or stick with the helmet. The helmet is cool because it gives a rider perspective, but since I keep my head level with the horizon, there isn't any lean which kinda takes away from the sensation of speed.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
I'm transferring my dragon videos as I type this... I took vids in both directions with my helmet cam, and then did it withthe cam mopunted to the bike, under the ram-air scoops on the front fairing (those are more dramatic, as they show more lean).

All I can say after my first trip there is, "holy SHIT".

And of course, here's the mandatory photo...

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by anarion55
I'm transferring my dragon videos as I type this... I took vids in both directions with my helmet cam, and then did it withthe cam mopunted to the bike, under the ram-air scoops on the front fairing (those are more dramatic, as they show more lean).

All I can say after my first trip there is, "holy SHIT".

And of course, here's the mandatory photo...
LOL, "holy SHIT" is about right. That's what I thought after my first trip, been hooked ever since. So how about a detailed report of your Dragon trip? Unless you have already made a thread about it and I missed it.

So you think I should go ahead and mount it somewhere on my bike? I think I'm just going to bring some tape and do both.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Tony, can we see those videos?

FLoJo, thats a great idea and if you figure it out I'd love to see the videos

·
Registered
748 Posts
yeah tony, i'd like to see how the bid turned out w/ the cam mounted under the scoop. i've tried with my cam and not really satisfied with how shaky the vid is. i've mounted my sonycam on the -9r tank with the lockhartphillips triple suction cup mount and get clearer vid with that. it's just something i'll keep playing with.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Flo, I suggest mount it to the bike. With helmet cam ...well, it's a bit boring as you can not see lean angles and stuff.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
The video editing can be done very easily if you have the right program. Some newer versions of Windows come with a program called Windows Movie Editor, or something like that...you just drag and drop the video file into the window, and it automatically detects scene changes and start/stop takes and such, and breaks it into separate clips so you can view them separately and just drop them wherever you want. It does a pretty shitty job of scene detection, though. Another solution is something thats packaged with a lot of DVD-ROM drives, a program called Cyberlink PowerDirector. The basic version is free with the DVD drive (I think I got mine in my DVD-RW...don't quite remember). It's really easy to use, and produces decently professional results. The version you buy separately is some super ultra edition or some crap, and it's $90.

A few years back I used Adobe Premier to do all my video editing, but I went on a haietus for a year or so, and now I just can't figure the damn thing out anymore...it's really complex.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE

LOL, "holy SHIT" is about right. That's what I thought after my first trip, been hooked ever since. So how about a detailed report of your Dragon trip? Unless you have already made a thread about it and I missed it.

So you think I should go ahead and mount it somewhere on my bike? I think I'm just going to bring some tape and do both.
Well really, it was more like, "HOLY SHIT.... HOLY SHIT... HOLY SHIT..." I couldn't stop saying it for a long time.

As to your question, I did both; one run up & down with the cam on the side of my helmet (which skewed the camera angle slightly - have to learn to adjust for that next time). The next day I did another run each way with the cam mounted under the front fairing ram-air (on the '02 9r, that's the bottom edge, below the headlights, and only a few inches above the front fender, just inside the left fork).

After viewing them all a few times, here's my take on the pros & cons of each...

Helmet cam - Pros: slightly smoother; no vibration at all. Better view farther into the corners (looking ahead). Less nauseating for non-riders, since theres less apparent lean. Partial view of the instruments & left side mirror. Cons: Constant (and radical) shift of viewpoint every time I checked my mirrors or did a "head check" behind me. Nice view of my glove as I adjust my visor, lol. Have to remember to "unhook" before dismounting or you run out of "leash" (don't ask). Hard to get the horizontal angle level.

Bike Cam - Pros: Very good angle; low to the ground & catches every bit of lean, pavement, and what's DIRECTLY ahead. Almost no vibration, surprisingly. No distracting changes of viewpoint (as you turn your head) or gloves in the images - just pure road. Doesn't matter if you get off before removing the cam. Easier to get the horizontal angle correct; just put the bike on a stand (or stand it up verttical youorself) & adjust. Cons: Needs SECURE mounting (the Hoyt "velcro" - it's better than std. velcro, actually) worked fine, as long as I cleaned the surface before sticking it there.

As for a detailed thread... I'm still collecting my thoughts, unpacking (and doing a week's worth of laundry), sorting souvinir gifts, and catching up here at work. Also, the dog I share with my ex died of cancer while I was gone, so I've been trying to come to grips with that as well. It was not unexpected, but even knowing in advance, I'm pretty upset that he's gone...(see photo of the late, great Echo-Toad-dog).

Once I get my head straight (well, as straight as its EVER been) I'll give details, including how the toy hauler worked out, the trip from Murphy, NC to the surrounding rides, and other stuff we did (whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River in TN)

Originally posted by rockstar84
Tony, can we see those videos?
I'll Have to edit them down to a managable size & post them somewhere... I just got the camcorder & helmet cam for this trip, so I'm not really up on where to post, and what the procedures are. I know YouTube is an option, but I have to see what's involved. First I have to edit out scenes of my glove, head checks, and start/stop sequences. Perhaps by next week. I'll get it in here, have no fear. Then you can all see what a crappy rider I am, lol.

·
Registered
563 Posts
FLOJOE, check out hoyttech.com I got my helmet cam there and you can also get a unit that will produce live picture in picture with two cameras. I believe they still have a video of a driver racing around a track and the picture in picture is a close up of the driver's foot movement.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55

I'm not really up on where to post, and what the procedures are. I know YouTube is an option, but I have to see what's involved.
YouTube is an option, also Google Video (they're both merging pretty soon though). Those would be the best as far as sharing the video easily, because the server streams it to the users. I personally like Google Video better. Seems like they have faster servers and a better script.

Sorry to hear about your dog. It really sucks when stuff like that happens. :/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.