Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dumb kids

1K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  willidx4 
#1 ·
i was at the local dealer the other day or so, and they told me that some 16 or 17 year old came in and without question demanded the 06 gsxr6. they told him that it was way to much of a bike and tried to sway him from the purchase, but nope. as he left the parking lot, the kid hard throttled right into the house across the street. ohh and then the best part.. he started to cry.:D

i guess poop happens.

#4 ·
[:Agree] Capitalism sure does rock...

but don't get me wrong, making money is cool... just i think makning as much money as possible often covers up the need for some morals and discretion...

#5 ·
Some dealers around here will ask a kid about his riding history (and they can tell if he's lying just through conversation). They have refused sales on something like a ZX or GSXR series if the kid shows himself as inexperienced or, he's is just being a dingbat about getting a big bike, probably to show-off.

I see that as responsible salesmanship.

#7 ·
I dont think its the dealers responsibility to check on the idiot before purchase. How would you feel if they refused to sell you a bike, because you didnt have boots on, or a jacket. Where were his parents? At 16, I sure as hell didnt have the money for a bike, and there was no way my parents would have let me get one. Its his parents responsibility, not the dealer. Honestly, do you want dealerships making decisions like this? Picking who gets what motorcycle?[:M75]

#9 ·
Man, [:WhoGivesAFuck] It's on that kid. Dealerships aren't your friggin parents, so why should they deny some punk ass, newbie ass, snot nosed kid the bike that he wants to kill himself on? The dealer isn't responsable for your dumbass decisions. I mean come on then we're gonna start blaming construction companies for not installing air conditioning in the house which lead to uncle Joe Dirt's untimely heat stroke. But whatever, just my 2 cents.

#10 ·
I dont think its the dealers responsibility to check on the idiot before purchase. How would you feel if they refused to sell you a bike, because you didnt have boots on, or a jacket.
I wasn't talking about gear. Should someone learning to tame lions be put right in the pen in the first hour? In Ontario, somebody could write the test and go out an hop on a ZX-14. How long is he or possibly a pedestrian going to last? Whatever happened to starting off with something smaller then working up from there?
Man, It's on that kid. Dealerships aren't your friggin parents, so why should they deny some punk ass, newbie ass, snot nosed kid the bike that he wants to kill himself on? The dealer isn't responsable for your dumbass decisions. I mean come on then we're gonna start blaming construction companies for not installing air conditioning in the house which lead to uncle Joe Dirt's untimely heat stroke.
Dealerships are a part of the process. You get some smart-ass lawyer involved when a squid takes out himself and somebody else and/or causes property damage, guess who gets a subpoena? Everybody from beginning to end. I don't understand the air conditioner thing not being installed in somebody's house, that's the individual's option, but willfully selling a potentially dangerous item to an inexperienced individual, that is grounds for court action when push comes to shove.

I am not a lawyer and I can't stand them, but in 2006, they tend to creep their way into almost any situation. Besides, who usually knows more about bikes and risks? Parents, squids or dealers? It can be an expensive legal nightmare and headache.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Sanjose636
Man, [:WhoGivesAFuck] It's on that kid. Dealerships aren't your friggin parents, so why should they deny some punk ass, newbie ass, snot nosed kid the bike that he wants to kill himself on? The dealer isn't responsable for your dumbass decisions. I mean come on then we're gonna start blaming construction companies for not installing air conditioning in the house which lead to uncle Joe Dirt's untimely heat stroke. But whatever, just my 2 cents.
On one hand you're correct -

BUT....

More responsible dealers (who would never have sold him that bike) are not only acting as the kid's parents... they are also preventing another statistic which makes sportbikes look bad, and insurance rates go through the ceiling. In their own interests, they are also improving the chances that the kid will be alive to be a repeat customer in the future (not to mention service & parts on the first bike).

Even if a newb doesn't outright kill or maim himself with a too-powerful first bike, it may put him off the sport for life, and even create a zealous proponent against motorcycling. Imagine if his parents were in political office; the damage they could do just because he got hurt or scared on too much machine.

So while you're essentially right, the bigger picture is more complicated.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Shawman

Dealerships are a part of the process. You get some smart-ass lawyer involved when a squid takes out himself and somebody else and/or causes property damage, guess who gets a subpoena? Everybody from beginning to end. I don't understand the air conditioner thing not being installed in somebody's house, that's the individual's option, but willfully selling a potentially dangerous item to an inexperienced individual, that is grounds for court action when push comes to shove.
quote]

Actually dealers can't refuse to sale merchandise to certain individuals unless there is a law against it so legally they would have to sell the bike to the dumbass kid who wanted it. Only time the dealership is in error is if they sell him more bike than he came for and they also told him it's perfectly safe, even if something did happen though you'd need a good lawyer to plead your case since you could have always said no.

Anyway the dealer did their job, they informed the customer and let the customer make the final decision. Wish I was there to see that kid crash though, would have been a good kodak moment.

#13 ·
listen thats what happens when you show off. at 16 i couldnt even park a car right. this kid decides to go ride a motorcycle.thats one two. his father should get the parent of the year award for co-signing the loan. i mean come on i am 23 years old and i been riding for about a year now and i am still scared of my bike.and at 17 years old my parents wouldnt even let me buy a v8 camaro because it was fast i had to go for a v6.listen if i was the dealer and some kid came in with his dad to buy the bike and the dumb ass wanted to buy it for his son . so be it . dealer needs to make money !!!

#14 ·
but willfully selling a potentially dangerous item to an inexperienced individual, that is grounds for court action when push comes to shove.
So, you think a gun manufacturer should be held liable for all accidental gun deaths caused by their product? I have to disagree. A gun sitting on a shelf will not hurt anyone. And a bike sitting in a dealership wont either. Unless you interact with it in some way. Its the parents responsibility, not the dealer. If we start allowing the salesman or manager to make these types of decisions, we will have problems. His parent(s) made a conscious effort to help that kid with that purchase, either with the price of the bike, or insurance. Maybe they wanted him dead.

#16 ·
Thank YOU Killer2600. If you are dumb enough to think that you can take on something that will kick your ass if you try to get tough with it, then you deserve to (at the max) get some road rash. You can't be blaming everybody and their mommas for every stupid thing that happens. I mean shit I feel for the kid, but he's a dumb shit for that one and he has no else to blame but himself.[:M7]

#18 ·
The dad was there. Thats on the parent not the dealer. Its the responsibility of the dealer to put his "professional opinion" out there, but if the kid is gunna be stupid thats on him. On another note, warranties are all well and good and really you can't go wrong with them. But the #1 thing you should ALWAYS get before you ever take any vehicle off any lot. GAP INSURANCE! You don't even need "insurance" on the vehicle per say the day you buy it. Most financing companys will offer it. Its like $500 that goes into yur vehicle payment so it raises yur payments like $5 a month. Figure its gunna take at least 3 years to get out from under the debt to value curve. That way if you do something stupid, yur loan gets paid in full and your not paying for something that you don't have anymore.

#19 ·
There was a guy here locally who bought an R1 for his first bike. Dealership tried to keep him from buying it, but his dad offered to toss an extra thousand bucks in the deal to make it happen. The kids DAD!!! He was 18 years old if I recall correctly. WTF? Do you not care about your kid, or what?

The 600 wasn't that big of a deal to me, but yeah, they should care less about the money and more about the riders.. but they don't.

Anyway, wouldn't you cry if you hadn't even made it home yet with your ~$9k purchase and already trashed it?

#21 ·
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL
There was a guy here locally who bought an R1 for his first bike. Dealership tried to keep him from buying it, but his dad offered to toss an extra thousand bucks in the deal to make it happen. The kids DAD!!! He was 18 years old if I recall correctly. WTF? Do you not care about your kid, or what?

The 600 wasn't that big of a deal to me, but yeah, they should care less about the money and more about the riders.. but they don't.

Anyway, wouldn't you cry if you hadn't even made it home yet with your ~$9k purchase and already trashed it?
Dad probably didn't like his son very much, probably thought it was the closest thing to a putting a legal hit out on him. LOL

Who wouldn't cry at trashing $9k instantly (aside from filthy rich people).

#22 ·
So, you think a gun manufacturer should be held liable for all accidental gun deaths caused by their product? I have to disagree. A gun sitting on a shelf will not hurt anyone. And a bike sitting in a dealership wont either. Unless you interact with it in some way. Its the parents responsibility, not the dealer. If we start allowing the salesman or manager to make these types of decisions, we will have problems. His parent(s) made a conscious effort to help that kid with that purchase, either with the price of the bike, or insurance. Maybe they wanted him dead.
i have to agree. kids fault. but at that age i would have done the same thing the kid did, and got the bike i wanted, to impress the chicks. hell that half the reason i have my bike now, except i just dont do the stupid stuff that i would have done when i was 16. i say its the parents fault and not the dealership.

#23 ·
thats crazy to buy an r1 for a first bike but a r6 is only a 600cc bike so i mean i dont see the big deal besides the fact that he was being stupid and wrecked it right away i just bought my first bike and it was a 600cc bike so. but im not being stupid im still learning to ride herand see how she is

#24 ·
Hasn't anybody picked up on the fact that the kid wanted the GIXXER. Isn't that usually the first thing that gets trash-talked on this forum??

--David

BTW-I agree that the dealership did what they should have, and (most) fianciers have you sign an agreement to provide insurance before you get the keys to the vehicle in question, unless you pay cash. Either way, it is (hopefully) on the kid, not the parents to pay off a destroyed bike.

I still doubt that this happened, but either way, it led to a lively debate.

#25 ·
Man I remember the first day I got my zx6r 2002(great bike). I was scared shitless of it. Took me like an hour to get the nerver to get on it and take it for a ride. My dad had to practically force me to get on it. Hell for the first week I spent most of my time going around my neighborhood with full gear on going under 30 mph. I don't understand where all this courage is comming from, with all these kids. Maybe they see this shit on tv like "superbikes" and figures "hey if they can do it I can too".

Any ways from the first post it seems that the kid was going to get that a bike no matter what. Either from that dealership or another. So I don't believe the dealer is at fault. They did their job. They try to convince the kid it was too much bike. Its a dealership after all. Selling anything in that magnitude is a difficult job, so when you see a sale you go for it. It is all about the money. The kid was a total fucking dumbass and so was his dad. They are still alive and hopefully they learned somthing from this. But I dought it. Im sure the kid is already looking for a new "faster bike".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.