Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of these on my 03 6R track bike and cannot beleive the grip and feedback these things have over the multiple sets of Diablo Corsa's I've been running for the last two years. Just a tire change took 2 seconds off a lap at Beaver Run. Wound up dialing in a few clicks on the Scotts damper to get rid of the head shake that popped up after the switch. I know the Corsas are not in the same range as the GP's but I never expected such a huge difference. The Corsa's are almost numb in comparison as far as feedback.

Any of you guys switched to a more race oriented tire and noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good I'm thinking of switching from Bridgestone BT002 to Sportmax slicks. not really a feed back issue more of a wear issue. I'm only getting 1/2 a track day from the 002 rear. I have got more involved in racing and dropped lap times, doing so is costing to much money. I use to wear the right side at Willow Springs, then take the left side to California wear that down, and change. Now, 4 sessions at willow and no tire. Plus the BT002 just switched to a BT002"pro" and I'm not diggin it. The new carcass is very stiff like Michelins and you need a very low preasure to get it to work. I was on dragons before and liked them but I think I need to try the winning tire company.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you are only getting a half a track day from a tire you have serious suspension issues. The only guys I know who have those issues are AMA racers and guys with suspension problems. So if you are that fast, cool, but most likely you have suspension problems to sort. I have only gone through a tire in a half day once, and that was on a literbike with suspension issues.

·
Registered
554 Posts
No, I'm that fast! Just kidding. Willows track does it. California I can get a day still. But I have been working with my suspension and I'm going to try a little more before I switch.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally posted by Greenvetter
I just put a set of these on my 03 6R track bike and cannot beleive the grip and feedback these things have over the multiple sets of Diablo Corsa's I've been running for the last two years. Just a tire change took 2 seconds off a lap at Beaver Run. Wound up dialing in a few clicks on the Scotts damper to get rid of the head shake that popped up after the switch. I know the Corsas are not in the same range as the GP's but I never expected such a huge difference. The Corsa's are almost numb in comparison as far as feedback.

Any of you guys switched to a more race oriented tire and noticed the same thing?

I race on dunlops in wera and ccs in the Mid Alantic region on a 04 6R... what sizes did you use and do you have any suspension mods.. plus did you set your Geo up or those.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I race a supersport 600 in Oz and use the 002's. I am not at lap record (5% off at most tracks ATM). But the really fast guys in SS over here rate the 002's as the best front tyre in the business. Even the sponsored Dunlop and Michelin guys have tried them on the sly and loved them too. I can easily get 10 20 minute sessions at Phillip Island (hard on tyres, just ask the Moto Gp and WSBK guys) with no loss of grip until right near the end. So maybe it is suspension related.

I have also tried the Rennsports/Racetechs from Metzler, and they are a nice tyre too. But my track pref is still the 002's. they rock! :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I love the grip and feel of the front BT002 but I do not like the new rear and or durability of it. I also ride a zx10r coming from a ZX6R I can say they are comparible. That being said Dunlop are the only race dot tire I haven't tested. I've tried the rest and stopped at BT002s thinking they were the best. I still have a little suspension tuning to do (as Ernie suggested) before I make the switch. I'm hoping Ernies right seeing I have spent about 10 track days and a couple race weekends dialing these in just to switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For what its worth I just went from 209's to 002's because of feel and wear. I know everyone is going to have their preference but for me the Bridgestones offered a lot more feedback and grip compared to the Dunlops.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I need this conversation because I just put on a set of Mich. P.P. and I hate them!!!! I am getting a wobble in the front tire at med speed and a bad vibration at 100+ . French quality at its best. so I am at a loss what tire to buy next Bridgestone BT002 or BT014, Pirreli D.C 3, Mezlr M-3 or Renntech, or Dunlop Q. max. Need Info.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I race on dunlops in wera and ccs in the Mid Alantic region on a 04 6R... what sizes did you use and do you have any suspension mods.. plus did you set your Geo up or those.
I used 120/70 180/55. Ohlins rear and Racetech front suspension mods set for my weight. Dropped the front a few mm to compensate for the switch from stock tires when I originally set up the bike. Once I dialed in a bit of damper headshake problem solved. Planning on having WCW go through the suspension set up again.

I see you go Team Promo days. When was your last one?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally posted by Greenvetter

I used 120/70 180/55. Ohlins rear and Racetech front suspension mods set for my weight. Dropped the front a few mm to compensate for the switch from stock tires when I originally set up the bike. Once I dialed in a bit of damper headshake problem solved. Planning on having WCW go through the suspension set up again.

I see you go Team Promo days. When was your last one?
let me make a suggestion on the geo setup.... raise the front 2mm from flush and take the 5mm spacer out of the rear.... your head shake is most likly do from having to much front weight bias. also this is the setting i use when useing those tires and sizes. you may have to adjust for your prefrence tho. here is a link to a XML document that has Geo setups for the tires i've used and tested with my bike. http://www.engtechs.com/Bike_Setup/Tire settings Geo Net Copy.xml

·
Registered
277 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.