Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got up from a nice nap after a 10 hour journey that started at 6AM [:eek:)] to get my bike dyno tuned by world renowned tuner, Mike Velasco.

As promised earlier last week, I've attached my dyno chart before and after today's tune. I have also included an older chart prior to the Kit ECU install. The skinny... 119.9 after tune, 114.9 before and 110.5 prior to ECU install.

Here some notes of the set ups so please read carefully before you decide to ask questions, hah:

- I have noted all related performance mods so unless otherwise noted, she's stock.

- Run on Chevron 92 pump gas.

- Sep 16th - Kit ECU, PC3 (zero map on base run and custom map on final), Akra slip on. Dyno numbers in STD.

- May 27th - PC3 (Tweakmon's map), Akra slip on, wire mod. Dyno numbers in SAE. Note that a stock zx6r, same year, same colour even posted 105 about 2 hours earlier. Different dyno, different day from above...

- Regarding SAE and STD numbers. Yes, I know there is a difference. Bear in mind that Seattle and Vancouver are both in the same region, same elevation, both day's temp and humidity were very similar (I checked).

My subjective thoughts? The Kit ECU rocks (even for a 636)! The power difference is noticeable, power delivery is immediate and the redline increase of 1000 rpm is pretty insane in comparison to my previous set up. That said, the throttle response was a little rough/abrupt in spots and the engine ran lumpy at times as it was rich on the bottom and lean up top, generally speaking. With the custom tune, the throttle response is super smooth and all the lumpiness is gone. The bike is running so smooth now that the extra ponies is very deceiving as you'll realize you've hit warp factor 9 but didn't know how you got there. Don't get me wrong here, the motor is still angry sounding and buzzy (hey, it's a Kawi) but the power delivery feels much more focused.

In conclusion, to get the most out of your Kit ECU, you should get a custom tune done as 5 HP up top and an increase in power all around is pretty good for my $250. Am I happy I bought the Kit ECU? Heck ya, but I'm even more happy cause I picked it up for >$300 used and now I'm running my current set up as close to it's fullest potential as I can.

Mike was extremely pleased with the tune job. We talked about different ways of getting more HP such as running race gas, more kit parts, full exhaust, etc but quite honestly I don’t need any more power. I'm just a street rider with a few track days lined up for next season. At this point, my money is going to be better spent on upgraded suspension and track dayz!

Wow... I typed way more than I intended. Sorry for the long read. One last thing then... I can't say enough about Mike Velasco. He's a very personable guy, loves his work and let's you get involved and observe the whole tuning process. Heck, he even had me tear down my bike for him (in my leathers no less) in order to get it ready for the big job! For those who are interested, Mike works out of The Brothers Powersports shop in Bremerton, WA. He's got a ton of credentials which I won't go too much into but names like Freddie Spencer, Mike Baldwin and many others are included in there and he continues to tune and prep for AMA racers.

Cheers - Stephen [^]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Awesome! Those are some pretty nice results.

Me thinks I'll go see this guy because I'm in Tacoma, WA. I think it'll be worth the ride. Thanks for all the info man.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Which one did they custom map, the ecu or the PC?
Like you i bought second hand kit ecu to work alongside the PC. Just need to get them mapped.
Mines an 03 zx6r, are you into sharing maps??[?]
Cheeky, i know

:D

Good power, hard to believe its a 600(ish)

·
Registered
70 Posts
what kind of dyno was it? probably a dyno jet, right? those numbers seem to good to be true. i had my kit ecu dyno tuned by marc silvisberg at factory pro in california and i only got 107 hp, but thats on a factory pro dyno. you can check out my chart at www.factorypro.com, look under the 2005/2006 636 parts.

sc1

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tiger - You're very welcome. Tell them you read about them here as I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

Knuckles - Sorry, I thought I covered all the bases here but you got me... it's PC3 dyno tune that was done. Very few people know how to tune the Kit ECU, let alone do it well, heh. As for my custom map, it's for an 2005, different ECU and motor so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be for you but know that cheekiness is always appreciated in my house! [:I]

SC1 - You are correct, those were both pulled on Dynojets and I'm aware of Factory Pro's mission. I'm not so concerned about the how high or low my numbers are but the point is more to show more the differences between no kit, adding kit and getting a tune done with the kit. There's been a bit of discussion of how useful the kit is for our 636's so that's why I took the time to write. I'd be more interested to know the difference in what you pulled before and after and if you got a custom map done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
chewysc - i agree with you regarding the difference between before and after is more important. unfortunately, i never dyno'd my bike stock, although i wish that i would have. you can see my dyno chart on www.factorypro.com in the 636 section. that chart only shows the difference between the stock kit ecu map and the custom mapped ecu, both with akra slip on, race kit ecu and bmc street filter. one of these days i want to put it on a dynojet as well just to see what kind of numbers it pulls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for fun, you should head out to a dyno day somewhere in your area and get a pull done. You might be suprised with your results and I'd be curious to see the shape of your power curve in comparison to mine as it's really hard to tell from your chart at factorypro. I also think it's great that you have a tuner nearby who knows the Kit ECU cause there's definitely no one around my area who does. Be safe and happy ripping!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just curious as ehat you used to interface with the Kit ECU. Ive heard you can use either the PCIII or the cable that Kawi sells for 500 bucks. Also ive been looking to get a custom map for my kit ecu what can i expect to pay for a good knowledgeable job?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can only interface the Kit ECU via the PC interface cable you just mentioned. That will enable you to adjust all the features of the ECU, like fuel map, ignition advance, redline, etc. You can adjust your overall fuel mapping through a PC3 but the PC3 in itself doesn't allow you to adjust the ECU. It works off the ECU's pre-programmed fuel map and allows you to make further adjustments. It's no different than what happens when you add a PC3 to your stock ECU.

As for tuning prices, I'm not super familiar but I paid $250 for a PC3 dyno tune. You may end up paying more for someone who can tune the ECU directly. Just make sure you find a reputable tuner in either case.

For more info on the Kit ECU, see this thread -> http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31603

·
Registered
70 Posts
chewysc - yeah, i will get my bike dyno'd as soon as i can find a dyno day locally or as the opportunity presents itself. I was lucky to be able to find marc at factory pro to tune my kit ecu, he was the ONLY person that i could find that could do it.

h20-50 - you need the $25 cord and the $450 cord to interface and program the kit ECU. i was lucky in that marc at factory pro borrowed someone's cable and i only had to buy the $25 cord which is left on the bike still attached to the ecu. i paid $475 and had to leave my bike for 2 weeks as well. it was'nt cheap and it was'nt easy, but it was worth it to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.