Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put on a leo vince slip on and a power commander 5.
Here are the results. I see a dip at 4.5 k, but other than that it seems okay.
Opinions?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The above graph does look better. (smoother) I am not educated enough to know if the results I have are good or not. I see an increase of 4 hp, a slight increase in torque. I also see the power band is extended further into the upper rpm range, which I like.
I think these are good results, but don't know for sure, which is the reason I am asking here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im gonna go with not good or bad. The only dip like that Ive seen like that on a bike dyno is on a 6th gen VFR when the vtec transition happens.

Even though the line s go up theres a lot of dips. Did you just have a base map loaded (meaning the PCV wasnt doing anything) or a generic map off their site?

Hopefully some one else has a dyno they can post.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you need to know if the PCV was doing anything during the dyno.
Sorry but I must be confused. How would I know this if I did not do the tune? Am I being asked if it is plugged in now, or if it was plugged in during the tune??
Not trying to be a smart a, just not sure what I am being asked.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I see an increase of 4 hp, a slight increase in torque. I also see the power band is extended further into the upper rpm range, which I like.
I think these are good results, but don't know for sure, which is the reason I am asking here.
You've got slight increases in power and torque but the results of the modifications you've carried out cannot be noticable when riding the bike. The power being increased at higher revs is next to useless on a bike used on the road. How often do you rev the bike to the redline?
The slight increase in peak torque is no better. If you use the bike on the road, you spend more of your time at lower rpm's so thats where you want the torque. That dip between 4000 and 5000rpm is shocking! Has the PCV been mapped?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry but I must be confused. How would I know this if I did not do the tune? Am I being asked if it is plugged in now, or if it was plugged in during the tune??
Not trying to be a smart a, just not sure what I am being asked.

I just don't see how you could have paid to have your bike dyno'd and not know if the PCV was active or not? You keep saying "they" did everything. What was the conversation like before "they" started? Just because they dyno'd you bike doesnt mean "they" did any tuning. "They" probably just ran your bike and that was it.

If you're running an active Power commander you need to have them dyno it to make a map for it. It's very wise to plug it in and not do anything with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not know that I should have asked if the pvc will be active during the dyno run. I have read other post about people doing tunes and never saw anything about the pvc being active.
The conversation was basically this. (me)I have a power commander 5 and a exhaust I want installed. I know the bikes can run lean so I would like a tune done so the bike runs correctly. Can you do this for me? (Them) yes.
I will call them and ask about the pcv.
A 7% increase in hp is not useless, imo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The big lean out at 4.5k was there before and after the exhaust install.
It corrects itself faster after the tune, which is better.
I wonder if I should be asking other questions. Like, why is that bump there at 4.5k in the first place.
Or maybe I should ride it and enjoy it. Yeah, that is what I will do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What you should have done is dyno'd it bone stock, then added everything and made another run so you could compare the two. Then go from there on actually tuning.

Sadly I don't have a dyno anywhere near me or I'd have a ton of runs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dyno sheet is a before and after. (stock then exhaust and pc5)
Thats why I wonder about the dip at 4.5k

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok. I see now. I'm thinking it's the PCV messing with the fueling. The line should be a constant climb there since that rpm is usually where the rpm "usage" of most riders start and stops around 6k or a tad more. It should be a constant climb there.

So you're good at 3500-4100, dip starts at 4200, then nose dives and bottoms out at 4700, starts back up to reach 54hp again at 5000, slowely rises then stumbles at 6500, then peaks at 7200-7300rpm.

Memorize the dyno and try to simulate it. Find out what gear they were in when they did the dyno. Get on the road and get up to 4k and hold, then just romp on the throttle. Watch the rpms (and road LOL) and see if anything happens at where the two dips are.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RangerScott:
Sounds like a plan. I know what I have posted is not a optimal looking dyno tune. I also know I am not informed when it comes to dyno tunes.
I will see if I feel the tune on the street. Will I?? Probably not. But I love the sound from the exhaust, and it is not running to lean. Which to me is the most important.
So the bike should run without issues for a while.
If anyone can explain the dip at 4.5k, that would be cool. Other than that, I am going to enjoy the ride. :D

1 - 20 of 81 Posts