Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local shop had a promotion going and had free dyno runs all day.
Took mine down just to see. It had never been dyno'd.
With a slip on and Factory jet kit, It read 97.3 hp at the rear wheel. For 25,000 miles, I was supprised how well it ran. Very smooth graph all the way to redline.
Thought it had more though, wasnt 97hp stock?
Was hoping to break 100 mark. hmm.

98 6R. TBR slip-on. No poser add-ons..
Memeber 51

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sport Rider list the '98 at 94.6 rwhp. So you are doin' alright. I bought a Factory jet kit for mine off eBay for $45. It should be here next week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ripTooL,
just out of curiosity...why do you have a jet kit if you only have a slip on?

You keep campaining for that ass-whooping you might get elected

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chosen- you would not believe the dead spot and vibration I had at mid RPM. Id pull out to pass someone in 4th gear, it would get to about 7000rpm and slow down. Then after 9k it kicked in like a turbo.

And come to find out, the jets that were original, were the wrong size. I dunno how, no one has ever touched it except me. Had 145 mains on all 4 carbs. Original was supposed to be 135/137.5

Now it run smooth and pulls hard and even at all RPM.

I have a buddy with a 01 zx9r. Stock exaust and he had same problem. Major dead spot. So he jetted it with stock exaust. Now 200% better.

Memeber 51

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
105 RWHP?
Carb settings please!!
help a brother out. lol

Seriously, I'd like to know your setup. A dude that had a 98 6R and now has a gix1k, said mine felt down in power a bit compared to his 6R.

Unless its a trade secret...
jetkit? settings?
advancer?
type of exhaust?
Thanks for and help you can give.

Memeber 51

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just dyno'd my bike after a ignition coil went out. I'm running 92.1 rwhp. Full Muzzy race exhaust and supposedly rejetted carbs.. Also +3 to the rear sprocket if that makes any difference.. 35k miles.. I think I need to get my bike tuned or something...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
riptool, it's okay to have slip on and jet kit... got that direct from rep at DynoJet Research. You'll get gains from the jet kit being able to focus your carb better, and gains from the pipe for airflow and weight... a good installer can tailor the kit for your needs too.
I just got rid of a 98 zx6r with a D&D bolt on and a jet kit. I had it dyno-tested twice. The first time I got a 105hp max at around 12,000 (really good reading)... trouble was, the needle installed was too big for regular riding and the curve was VERY peaked. So I took it in again last year, and had them look things over, and they ended up replacing my needle with a smaller one. I was disappointed in the peak power. The engine ran much smoother at typical revs (4,000 - 8,000 rpm) but the top end "hit" REALLY disappeared. Dyno? Same dyno machine - 101hp at 11,000 rpm. 4hp loss from a NEEDLE CHANGE ? Hmmmm, doesn't sound right does it? The hp curve was almost linear though. (Kinda like a CBR Honda... boring) So I guess what I'm trying to say is that 97.3hp does seem a little low for a tweaked '98 - but keep in mind there can be minor variances for dyno machines, weather, tune-ups, etc. Also, even brand new same bikes can get different readings (tolerances from factory, etc)... I remember my cousin and I both had identical '96 ZX6R's a few years ago, bought same time, came to dealer in same shipment and everything, and his was ALWAYS a lot stronger than mine. Sucked actually...
All I know is that my '03 on order better be a strong one, I was one of the first in Canada to pre-order one, so that oughta count for SOMETHING. C'mon Kawi, be good to me !!! Looks hot, claimed 125hp at crank outta the CRATE ! Only 355 lbs dry ! Looks like sex on wheels too... hot damn I can't wait !!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Single, absolute power numbers do not mean much because different dynos often produce different numbers for the same bike. Even the same dyno often produces different numbers for the same bike on different days. A dyno is more helpful when measuring the same-day difference between power before and after a modification or between bikes.

A jet kit improves driveability—even a stock bike can benefit from one. To get the most from a slip-on or full exhaust, both of which flow more air, install a jet kit. The bike may run okay without one but will run better with the proper jetting.

Edited by - Rob Lee on 11/22/2002 09:34:18

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I had my 98 zx6r dyno'd after having a carbon race end can K&N filter and jet kit fitted, it has 108.4bhp at the crank & 99.5bhp at the wheel. Apart from that it is standard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.