Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a quick shifter. I know an air shifter is better but I already have one bottle on the bike and I don't want a second bottle hanging off the bike. I have done some reading and it seems I need both the dynojet quick shifter and ignition kill if I go with dynojet. Is this correct? The MPS is only $149 and I believe it would be all I need. Anyone running either of these set-ups can you comment?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
With the dyno jet you are correct in that you will need an ignition module as well as a power commander for the quick shifter to work. Its an awsome mod if you do a lot of track riding. I have no experience with the mps one, but I thought an air shifter is mostly for drag racing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, hopefully someone has some experience with the MPS.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I am in the market for a quick shifter. I know an air shifter is better but I already have one bottle on the bike and I don't want a second bottle hanging off the bike. I have done some reading and it seems I need both the dynojet quick shifter and ignition kill if I go with dynojet. Is this correct? The MPS is only $149 and I believe it would be all I need. Anyone running either of these set-ups can you comment?

I have used the MPS quickshifter, then tried the MPS air shifter, and now using the dynojet quickshifter. If you are doing mostly 1/4 mile then air shifter or autoshifter seems to be the way to go but, trackdays and roadracing you will want to go with either the standard MPS shifter or dynojet quickshifter. I ditched the air shifter because I just couldn't get comfortable having my feet off the pegs going down the strip. For the price you can not go wrong with the MPS quickshifter. The switch itself is basically like your rear brake light switch and once you get it set up works well enough. It took a little fabrication to get it set up though. I have not tried the DJ switch that goes in line with the shift linkage but, I was able to get a killer deal on the linear travel type QS. MPS had a few in stock and the great thing is that it plugs directly into the PC3 because it cuts the fuel through the injectors so an ignition module is not required. Check with Dan at MPS to see if he has any more of the Dynojet linear shift rods left because it is sweet

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used the MPS quickshifter, then tried the MPS air shifter, and now using the dynojet quickshifter. If you are doing mostly 1/4 mile then air shifter or autoshifter seems to be the way to go but, trackdays and roadracing you will want to go with either the standard MPS shifter or dynojet quickshifter. I ditched the air shifter because I just couldn't get comfortable having my feet off the pegs going down the strip. For the price you can not go wrong with the MPS quickshifter. The switch itself is basically like your rear brake light switch and once you get it set up works well enough. It took a little fabrication to get it set up though. I have not tried the DJ switch that goes in line with the shift linkage but, I was able to get a killer deal on the linear travel type QS. MPS had a few in stock and the great thing is that it plugs directly into the PC3 because it cuts the fuel through the injectors so an ignition module is not required. Check with Dan at MPS to see if he has any more of the Dynojet linear shift rods left because it is sweet
I sent an e-mail earlier today and they don't have anymore of the DJ linear shift rods.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I sent an e-mail earlier today and they don't have anymore of the DJ linear shift rods.
Yeah, they had 2 left last time I heard but, they have been very popular. If you already have a PC3 and can get Dan at MPS to get you a linear shift rod, it would be the way to go because you do not have to wire in the ignition kill box like you would if you went the MPS QS route.

Here is a thread where some of us posted pics of how our MPS QS were mounted if you go this route
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=81740

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok now I'm a little confused I just went out to the dynojet site and looked at the dynojet linear travel sensor shift switch. It's the exact same thing as the quick shift except it mounts to shift lever and the frame instead of inline with the shifting rod. It states it is used where the shift rod does not allow for the quick shift. Why would I need the ignition module for the inline quick shift and not the linear travel sensor.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ok now I'm a little confused I just went out to the dynojet site and looked at the dynojet linear travel sensor shift switch. It's the exact same thing as the quick shift except it mounts to shift lever and the frame instead of inline with the shifting rod. It states it is used where the shift rod does not allow for the quick shift. Why would I need the ignition module for the inline quick shift and not the linear travel sensor.
I do not have any experience with the inline switch but, it looks to me that as long as the inline switch has the same plug as the linear travel sensor, an ignition module is not required. You are cutting off the fuel, not the spark in this case. All changes can be made through the software as far as kill time, minimum RPM to engage kill, etc.The MPS unit splices into the coil sticks and cuts the ignition but, comes with an adjustable kill box. There is another member on here poofbegone that races with me and has the inline dynojet switch. I believe that he plugs it directly into the PC3 but, am not sure. Shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What's an air shifter? I'm around track events (a lot) but never 1/4. Never head of them.
An air shifter is just a cylinder hooked up to the shifter that allows the rider to use a handlebar mounted push button to upshft. Some people use onboard compressors while others use small paintball tanks with pressureized CO2 that are usually good for 150-200 shifts depending on tank size. Another form of this is the autoshifter which does the same thing as an airshifter except plug in chips allow the rider to select shift points. The bike then automatically upshifts when the preselected shift point is reached. The advantage of the air and autoshifter is that it allows the riders to keep their feet back to act as outriggers while launching hard and some bikes are geared so aggressively that there is not enough time to get your feet up on the pegs to make the next shift.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not have any experience with the inline switch but, it looks to me that as long as the inline switch has the same plug as the linear travel sensor, an ignition module is not required. You are cutting off the fuel, not the spark in this case. All changes can be made through the software as far as kill time, minimum RPM to engage kill, etc.The MPS unit splices into the coil sticks and cuts the ignition but, comes with an adjustable kill box. There is another member on here poofbegone that races with me and has the inline dynojet switch. I believe that he plugs it directly into the PC3 but, am not sure. Shoot him a PM.
Ok Directly from Jay at Dyno Jet we are SOL we have to have both the they ignition module and the quick shifter for the 05/06's. Looks like MPS would get my vote, but crap man thats alot of wires under the tank....power commander, speedohealer, nitrous solonoid and now a shifter LOL.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ok Directly from Jay at Dyno Jet we are SOL we have to have both the they ignition module and the quick shifter for the 05/06's. Looks like MPS would get my vote, but crap man thats alot of wires under the tank....power commander, speedohealer, nitrous solonoid and now a shifter LOL.
MPS makes a great product and if you do decide to go to air shifter down the road, you will already have the kill box. At one point I had a MSD launchmaster, PC3, MPS kill box + all the associated parts for the air shifter as well as the WEGO wideband and it just got to be too much. I am now down to the PC3 in the tail and the WEGO wired in so it is a lot cleaner install

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok just ordered the MPS shifter. Hopefully its not too hard to install. It's going to be funny to see the PCIII and MPS wires hanging off the coils.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts