Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: I own a '95 ZX-6R that currently has a D&D canister and a K&N filter. Wanting something a little louder, and to give the bike a little more pep I acquired a full Micron racing exhaust. Now it's time to find a DIY'er friendly jet kit...
I was looking at the PDF for the DynoJet kit and it says it isn't made for non-partitioned exhausts which is what any full exhaust is I'm pretty sure. I saw that they include the 144, and 150 though. Another issue is that if their kits are set-up for their altitude (1950) I'm screwed (500).
Advice is appreciated.
PS. I have looked in to the Factory kit but tuning it is what scares me: Go WOT right off the bat on a bike with new drivability characteristics?? thats what one of thier techs said... Albeit I'm sure their "pink sheet" will have my exact set-up in there.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I think by "Non-partitioned" exhaust, they mean a proper 4 into 1 system. If you have a look at the back of the Kawasaki headers, you'll see that there is a dividing plate running through the middle of the exhaust, so that the system is, effectively, a 4 into 2 into 1 system.

I had a full Muzzy exhaust on my '95 ZX-6R, and it had a dividing plate in it as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I called DynoJet and spoke with someone who sounded either stoned or in desperate need of a nap (or a kick in the ass). He said that with that exhaust I would have a "flat-spot" that couldn't be tuned out no matter what and that the kets are the same for anyone from 0ft-3000ft elevation. I didn't trust any of it...
So I called Micron. When I told what had transpired the tech actually laughed out loud. He said it would be a flat spot but that the power will remain the same as it is now until i get to the mid/hi range. He also said that the carbs can be tuned to shift the power band lower if need be.
So, I've got a Micron jet kit (made by DynoJet for this exhaust) on its way.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
From what I've heard on this forum and read. Tuning with a standard jet kit doesn't work too well with this year bike. I also read the Factory write up and it sounds like they are on to something. Good luck with the Dynojet kit. I hope it works out well enough for you. If not, you'll have to probably get a little more in depth on your tuning and look at the Factory kit. It might not be "easy" but there might not be an "easy" way to get the performance you expect with an aftermarket full exhaust. Remember that performance isn't free, either in dollars or effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.