Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a copy of the e-mail that I just sent to the Director of Competition of the AMA. Thought I would share it with you guys. Yeah I know it wont make any difference, but it made me feel better.

mvanderslic[email protected]

Mr. Vanderslice,
I wanted to personally thank you for killing the Kawasaki ZX636 from competeting in AMA racing. Now that you have alienated us from your organization, my only hope to find any support for aftermarket parts will be to buy from expensive European distributors. Why would you guys kill one of the most exciting classes from last year? It just seems very odd that a void would be left in the 600-749cc area when you had a very exciting bike contesting the field. It seems to me that the AMA had the intention to get rid of the only bike that fell within those guidelines. Maybe so that you wouldnt have to make up bogus rules violations to ensure that one of your financial contributors (Suzuki) could steal away the superstock championship!

Thanks again,
Stewart C. Long (2003 ZX6R owner)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yea...it's not really fair..why can't it run in the suzuki 750 cup? every other sportbike model is allowed to race in some class.
tommy kicked ass in a 750 suzuki cup race

·
Registered
755 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
I share your pain, but your not going to gain anything writing an email that is so confrontational and agressive.
If you want people to take you seriously, you need to write profesional letters/emails.
I thought he made valid points in the arguement (until the Suzuki thing, but they are the main sponsors so there is a definite bias). Development on the 636 will slow dramatically because of no racing and the pipeline of parts will reduce dramatically. That was the main problem I had with them discontinuing the class for the 636 since I want performance parts and not glowing frame sliders.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Just the first sentance, and the last 2, seemed a little rough. I know if I was a big executive somewhere and someone emailed me like that, it'd go in the junk folder [8D]

I think the reason they changed superstock was because there was basically just one bike in it, the GSXR750, with 2 Kawi's in it. While the championship was very entertaining, the class was dead. What other of the 4 series (superbike, formula extreme, supersport) has only 1-2 manufacturers in it?

With the new rules we have supersport for the 600's, which is close to stock bikes, formula extreme for the heavily modified 600's. Then superstock for stock 750-1000cc bikes, and superbike for heavily modified 750-1000cc bikes.

And yes this does Kill the 636's advantage, but again, the 636 is the only bike in that class. Raising the cc limit to say 650 in formula extreme would be solely to let in the 636 at this point, unless someone else made a bike in that range, or they allowed you to bore out the engines.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know Superbike will only have 3 models competing in it Suzuki/Honda/Ducatti .......... And as far as being professional/ making a diference, I attested to that fact when I stated that when I posted it to be shared with the rest of you. the reason why I sent this e-mail to him was just so that i could express my views to the AMA. I am quite sure that he did delete/junk the e-mail.

The AMA is supposed to be an association that promotes motorcycling in the United States. They are also in place to support safety. It is unfortunate that they appear to be influenced and controlled by whatever manufacturer that donates the most cash. All of this at the expense of some of us who own and operate the venerable 636.

p.s. werent there also a couple of privateers running in the supertock series or was that only in supersport? I am not quite sure

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sclong, there were privateers in every class. The only full factory riders in last year's Superstock class were Hayden and Meiring for Kawasaki. Every one else was on a support team or privateer. Support teams, like Attack Racing, get a great deal of assistance from the factories and usually have pretty significant budgets, but they still aren't full-blown factory teams. In fact, in many of the Superbike races in 2003, there were less than six factory rides on the grid. In 2004, with Kawasaki and Yamaha opting out, it will likely be even less.

Just curious what makes you think though that the 2004 rule changes were made by a manufacturer DONATING cash? And do you REALLY believe that the 636 not being able to run Superstock in AMA racing is going to affect in one way or another the availability of aftermarket parts that drastically? I'm not convinced. Suspension and even many engine-related parts can be interchanged with those on the ZX6RR. Superstock 2003 was one of the few venues the ZX636R was able to compete worldwide anyway, and yet there's no shortage of aftermarket parts from companies like Yoshimura, Micron, Dynojet, and others who are in no way related to a racing team using the 636. If that were the case, the only exhaust you'd be able to buy for the 636 would be Akrapovic, and yet EVERY major exhaust company wasted NO time developing their systems.

Not trying to knock your argument, just want to understand your sentiment...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DJ,
I dont really believe that the rules changes were made because of cash. I do believe however that the loss of the venue might affect the enthusiasm that many companies might have to develop (636 engine specific) performance parts. I do understand that most parts on the 6r and 6rr are interchangeable.

Most of my sentiment is derived from the (my favorite football team just traded their first round draft picks for the next ten years to get an old washed up player mentality) I love my bike and the e-mail that I enclosed was more of a form of self therapy. I only shared it with the forum to stimulate conversation on the topic, if not just to get a chuckle out of a few of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.