Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off....yes, I used the search engine. But I'm a little confused as to the answers that some people gave.

I finally got my E-Z Pass tag today. After I stalled at a toll booth and couldn't get it started for 10 minutes last week, I decided to get E-Z Pass. I was trying to get change outta my pocket, stalled right AT the booth and everyone was honking at me. Definitely sucked ass...

So anyway...just got my tag. Two questions:

1) A couple people who posted in the old threads said that they kept the tags in their breast pocket. Do you mean you kept the tag in your breast pocket and then took it out when you reached the tool booth? Or did you just keep it tucked in your pocket and the machine can read through the jacket?

2) Cyberdos - you said that E-Z Pass no longer requires you to have your tag on your vehicle because they can read your license plate. Is this still true? I kinda don't wanna take a chance with this cause the E-Z Pass manual says to use your tag all the time.

So yea basically....can the E-Z Pass machines read through your jacket? Cause if so I'll just keep it in my jacket pocket and not take it out.

And mounting the tag on the bike is absolutely out of the question.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jimmy - power wheelie + fender kit = no tolls for me :D

ninja - on the East Coast, we have these things called tolls. You have to pay to use the highway. It sucks.....

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
So i've been told.

but I always carry my pass on me in my tank bag. It's like taking your wallet. You should always have it on the bike. For the first time since I've had it, it didn't read the other day. I think it was because I was leaning forward right on top of the tank bag. I don't know. but after that, I just lean a bit back so the thing can get an unobstructed read. it has worked every time since.

There's nothing like an ez-pass. Specially when you have those 35mph fast lanes[:M10]

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
btw, I've seen people (even a guy I ride with) that keeps it in his pocket and takes it out and holds it with his left hand over his head as he's going through the toll. to me, anything that takes your hands off the controls while you're trying to maneuver the bike is riddiculous but to each his own.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by cyberdos
btw, I've seen people (even a guy I ride with) that keeps it in his pocket and takes it out and holds it with his left hand over his head as he's going through the toll. to me, anything that takes your hands off the controls while you're trying to maneuver the bike is riddiculous but to each his own.
that's exactly what i want to avoid. especially because the tolls are infamously slippery.

that's how i stalled my bike...nothing like trying to remove change from your pocket while shifting gears at the same time. try using the clutch lever while holding three quarters in your hand...not too much fun.

i guess ill try it in my jacket first and see if it reads it. otherwise ill look into buying a tank bag

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I used to have my tag mouned on the front of my tag or some people mount it behind there screen. I never seen it pick up with my jacket on or in the rear compartment.

Hell I just run the tolls anyway lol.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I just rolled through the thruway the other week, and had my easy pass tag in my lower left side pocket (my jacket doesn't have an outside breast pocket). The tag read, but told me to call EZ-Pass. When I did it turns out it was because my bike was "on" that tag, just my car. So I put my bike on the same tag and all is good. According to the guy on the phone, EZ-Pass takes a picture of your tag/vehicle and compares it to what is recorded on your account, and if they match up "green light", if not... "call".

So the long and short, I had my tag in my pocket and sat up a little and all was good. I too didn't want to take my hands off the controls... the booths are wicked slippery. I still want to test the "wide load" booths where you can go through at 20 instead of 5... i want to test and see how fast I can go [:p]

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by rbray
I just rolled through the thruway the other week, and had my easy pass tag in my lower left side pocket (my jacket doesn't have an outside breast pocket). The tag read, but told me to call EZ-Pass. When I did it turns out it was because my bike was "on" that tag, just my car. So I put my bike on the same tag and all is good. According to the guy on the phone, EZ-Pass takes a picture of your tag/vehicle and compares it to what is recorded on your account, and if they match up "green light", if not... "call".

So the long and short, I had my tag in my pocket and sat up a little and all was good. I too didn't want to take my hands off the controls... the booths are wicked slippery. I still want to test the "wide load" booths where you can go through at 20 instead of 5... i want to test and see how fast I can go [:p]
Some of the tolls let you go through at 50mph :D

OK well as soon as my bike gets back from the shop I'll test it out. If it doesn't work....guess I'll just start doing wheelies through the tolls [:p]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting, we have 3 EZ passes in our family, for four cars, we switch them between cars all the time and I've never had that happen where it says "call". But yeah, you should be able to keep it in your pocket and have it read...either that or you could probably velcro it to the top of the speedo if you really wanted.

I had to pay tolls too one day, it's tricky. I just had a couple singles in my breast pocket and as I was approaching I popped it into neutral, stopped the bike. Unzipped and got the money out. Would have been much easier to pay it from a car though =/

·
Registered
207 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos
haha, i am this guy. ezpass won't read through my jacket pocket, i have a non-clear windscreen, and the only tank bag that will fit on my bike requirs larger straps down each side of my tank (it's not metal) thus I reach into my pocket, pull the ezpass out, let it read it, and put it away. I do it very often, and usually just keep the bike in 2nd while i cruise through at 10-15 mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i slipped mine between the windshield and the guages and it doesnt move (threw one of those lance armstrong bands behind it to keep it from vibrating)... works great... whether or not the windshield is smoked (whihc it is) doesnt matter because its an RF(radio frequency) signal not and IR (infrared) i believe...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.