Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some reading on ethanol today and was wondering if it would be a better fuel for our bikes than premium. Ethanol (which is only 10% of the fuel the rest is unleaded) runs cleaner and is of a higher octane. Does anybody know if this would translate into a cleaner top end (valves, ports, etc...) as well? Also, just what is the octane rating of E10? Thanks for any feedback, I'm sure many people would like to know!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't know about the states, but here, caltex runs E10 which is 95 octane, and they sell Vortex98. I know I'll be staying with the 98.

·
Registered
93 Posts
E10 supposedly runs cleaner not just for the environment, but it doesn't sludge like gasoline. As far as Octane goes, Octane is an additive, so there really is no set rating. You could have different Octane ratings with E10 just as you do with gasoline.

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but still important to mention is that I was getting about 17.5 MPG in my truck before they started blending 10% ethanol. Since the arrival of E10, I've been averaging about 16.5 MPG. I'm pretty tired so feel free to check my math, but if my calculations are correct, that's a reduction in fuel economy of over 5.7%. It also feels like my truck doesn't have the same amount of power. But that's nothing. My mother had a reduction in fuel economy of over 12% in her car.

I'm glad we're starting to look into alternative fuel sources, but I'm starting to feel pretty negatively about ethanol.

·
Registered
802 Posts
NOOOOOOO do not use it! i actually read my manual the other day [:0]
it says you are supposed to stay away from ethanol, but if you must use it E90 (i.e. 10% ethanol) is the highest the manual says is safe to go.

now although it says you shouldnt necessarily have a problem with 10%, but ethanol hasnt been in mainstream use in motorcycles (to my knowledge?) all that long, so i am personally staying away from any of it.

i dont remember why, but check that mysterious booklet that came with your bike for an explanation.

==============
UPDATE

i found this online on a thing about kawasakis, but as i remember it its straight out of my manual:

"Never use “gasohol” with more than 10%
ethanol, or more that 5% methanol.
Gasoline containing methanol must also
be blended with cosolvents and corrosion
inhibitors."

"Avoid using blends of unleaded gasoline
and methanol (wood alcohol) whenever
possible, and never use “gasohol”
containing more than 5% methanol. Fuel
system damage and performance
problems may result."

·
Premium Member
5,831 Posts
Originally posted by archcycle
NOOOOOOO do not use it! i actually read my manual the other day [:0]
it says you are supposed to stay away from ethanol, but if you must use it E90 (i.e. 10% ethanol) is the highest the manual says is safe to go.
You must have submitted your changes just as I hit the reply button because I saw a bunch of stuff I hadn't seen before. :D First time that's ever happened to me.

At any rate, I think you've got it backwards. E90 would be 90% ethanol, right? I think E10 means 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
That and i dont think e90 exists? There is e 85 for sure for flex fuel vehicles and e10 can be run in anything really.. Apparently the ethanol doesnt have the same btu per weight rating or whatever they gauge power by, so that would explain why fuel mileage drops too.. Will it keep an engine cleaner? Eh, i wouldnt really count on it, more for just emissions..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been running it in my bikes for at least 5 years and have had no problems.One thing to note is that the ethanol will evaporate if left sittng for extended periods(months].I get better milage wih it than regular premium fuel by 3 to 5 %.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Ya'll realize that most US gas stations (at least around me) use 10% Ethanol already, right? Next time you're filling up, look around at the pump. Most likely, you'll see a sign that says they use 10% Ethanol - especially if its a Shell station. They seem to always have it.

I've never seen anything above 10% on the East Coast. I've heard of it in the mid-West and the West Coast but not out here. Not yet at least.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally posted by senfo
Slightly off-topic, but still important to mention is that I was getting about 17.5 MPG in my truck before they started blending 10% ethanol. Since the arrival of E10, I've been averaging about 16.5 MPG. I'm pretty tired so feel free to check my math, but if my calculations are correct, that's a reduction in fuel economy of over 5.7%. It also feels like my truck doesn't have the same amount of power. But that's nothing. My mother had a reduction in fuel economy of over 12% in her car.

I'm glad we're starting to look into alternative fuel sources, but I'm starting to feel pretty negatively about ethanol.
I noticed the exact same thing with my bike and car, poor fuel mileage and a rougher running engine. I stay away from it. (All Sunoco's in my area have it)

·
Registered
802 Posts
ok got the manual in front of me here, and want to point out there is MTBE 15% which is acceptable, not to be confused with Ethanol or Methanol. According to the government energy site in my previous post, MTBE is quite uncommon these days because it pollutes water.

so the manual says..
1"Gasoline/Ether blends - the most common ether is methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE). You may use gasoline containing up to 15% MTBE."
2"Avoid using blends of unleaded gasoline and methanol whenever possible, and never use "gasohol" containing more than 5% methanol"
3"Never use 'gasohol' with more than 10% Ethanol or more than 5% Methanol. Gasoline containing methanol must also be blended with cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors."

and im spent.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Yea, you will maybe see e85 pumps as well, but i think they are pretty segregated from the others so people dont get confused, the e85 is for flex fuel cars and trucks that will be seen more after 07 releases.. I think most of gm's line up is flex fuel, a few changes to run it in fuel system and different timing curves and such like that with the software in the ecu.. E10 has been around, i've never really used it, our premium here is straight gasline, but the med and low octane both have 10% ethanol..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.