Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i work on cars alot but never tinkered with my bike. can someone pls explain why my choke doesn't work. seems like when i use the choke, it kills the engine and engine cuts off. had this on another bike i sold and they said it was the choke cable, either busted or needs adjusting. if so, how does one go about that? pls explain in dummy terms. i'm serious, i've never even removed the fairing before. i can prob take fairing off follow the cable and check it, but what am i looking for and where do i adjust it?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm trippin, it's too early 3am... it's a 2000 model, not 2002. maybe i was wishing it was heheh.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Pre,

You aren't saying exactly what's going on so it's hard to diagnose.

It sounds like you are saying when you open the choke the bike is already running? Well the choke should be in the process of being closed while the engine is running, not being opened.

You should open the choke fully prior to starting the bike. Start the bike, then lower the choke slowly as the bike starts to warm up. Don't lower it too fast so the bike stalls. Also, don't leave it wide open so the RPM's are screaming.

If that's not what is going on, please be more specific with your explanation. If you're bike is just dying then that's a totally different process to troubleshoot.

-Flash

·
Registered
107 Posts
Perhaps you just need an adjustment on your choke or you have dirty carbies.
Be careful when cleaning your carbs, I have read on this forum that there are black rubber diaphragms in the carbs, 1 in each carbie, that are easily damaged and cost a bit to replace(?) that is if I read the post correctly [:I]
But if you have worked on car carbs you should be OK. Remeber that there are four carbs and should be sync'd after being removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.
I dont know how to do this, but do a search on "sync" or "carbs" and you should come up with the info required.
If you do need to replaced the choke cable I would imagine it is just like doing a car choke, (that is if you have worked on a car that has had a choke), just take your time, take notes if required. It's a great idea to write things down for future reference, it helps when you need to leave the job and come back to it at a later time.
Remember to run the new cable, if it is required, in the same position as the old cable.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
when you start the bike dont have the choke open(pulled forward). if its cold you might need some choke. you might have to give it some gas to get everything going. since its summer time i dont see any need to use the choke now. but i need more info about the problem though.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You may want to describe the problem more clearly.

If you start the engine without choke, and then pull the lever back without throttle, the engine may stop. Try either starting the engine with choke, or adding choke to the running engine while giving a bit of throttle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We need more info. Does it have an aftermarket pipe? Slip-on or full?

Sometimes with a slip-on and no carb work you won't even need the choke.

When sliding the lever is realllly easy? if so the cable might be broke.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to be able to start the bike and turn the choke on to warm it up. Now, I can start the bike on it's own, but instead of using the choke, I just hold the rev's up. So what I used to do was start the bike, give it a rev, and turn the choke on so it holds the rev's up. Now the choke will kill the engine when try to use it. I slowly engage the choke and it putters out. The only way to warm the engine is to actually rev the engine and hold it at a rpm. The choke lever doesn't seem loose, but instead seems tighter almost like it's jammed. It will however engage, just not as easily as before. Hope that gives a better description and thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by prelupino

I used to be able to start the bike and turn the choke on to warm it up. Now, I can start the bike on it's own, but instead of using the choke, I just hold the rev's up. So what I used to do was start the bike, give it a rev, and turn the choke on so it holds the rev's up. Now the choke will kill the engine when try to use it. I slowly engage the choke and it putters out. The only way to warm the engine is to actually rev the engine and hold it at a rpm. The choke lever doesn't seem loose, but instead seems tighter almost like it's jammed. It will however engage, just not as easily as before. Hope that gives a better description and thanks for all the help.
It sounds like I have very similar problems:

When I first bought my bike, I could slide the choke out a bit to start the bike.

Now if I slide the choke out, my bike won't start. And in the mornings, I start my bike without choke or gas. When I pull on the choke when I have already started my bike, it will also "putter out". And also, when I give it gas when the bike is already started, the engine cuts out. My choke lever is also difficult to pull out. It might need to be lubed or something ...

I think my bike needs a good tune up. It idles pretty roughly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that was it brian! thanks. the choke needed a lube works fine now. actually it seems to take longer to warm up, i can leave the choke on for like 15min and the revs don't scream like they used to. oh well, as long as it works.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I try not to use the choke, or as little as possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your choke was probably stickin on that is why you could start it without using it. you should not have to use the choke to warm your bike up like that. just let it run for a while at ldle and take it easy when you first take off. the more you use the choke especially in warmer weather the quicker you will have to change your plugs.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I hear it's best to pull your choke lever all the way back before starting it. Also, don't rev the bike immediately after or during your start. I think you might have flooding problems or something, I'm not sure. Just start the bike with the choke on and gradually release it while trying to maintain something like 2k rpm or under. Then, when it sounds like the bike can idle on its own (probably less than a minute depending on weather) you should probably turn the choke completely off. Let it warm up just a little more and ride off but don't ride it hard.

From what I understand, cold starts cause a lot of engine wear... something equivalent to a good number of warm highway miles. If you rev the engine prematurely you could possibly be doing some long-term damage. You might not, but it never hurts to be on the safe side. Also, don't rev the bike immediately before shutting it off. Again, only from my understanding, revving the engine without any load will cause a little bit of oil starvation and you won't have much of that needed oil where it should be during the start-up.

Anyhow, it's not good to start the engine, rev it, and then slide the choke back. The reason why it putters out and dies is because you're probably getting too much fuel into the fuel/air mixture (since allowing more fuel in is what the choke supposedly does).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.