Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
to do what? The FI on the bike doesn't take O2 sensor feedback into account to trim fueling

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that pulling the positive battery cable doesn't reset it. You have to make that little wire thing-a-ma-jig in the maual, and get into one of the diagnostic dealer modes. I just left my battery unplugged for about 1 minute, reset everything but the odometer readout so I'm hoping it must have done it, or at least I hope it did since it obviously reset the onboard memory!

Somehow I doubt that pulling the 20 or 30A ecu fuse on the side would do it, that's just my .02

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
I pulled battery cable for 10 minutes and my trip on the odometer was reset as well as the clock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My fuel injection light is always on, i just put in a new servo motor but need to clear the ecu so that the codes will go away, well I hope that they will anyway

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
My fuel injection light is always on, i just put in a new servo motor but need to clear the ecu so that the codes will go away, well I hope that they will anyway
the code will go away, once you fix the problem.
have u pulled the codes to verify the servo is the ONLY thing wrong?
it might be something else entirely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how do you check the codes? i know the fi light is like a car check engine light but how do you check them?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You need to make a jumper with perhaps a momentary button inline. I used a valet button for an alarm system (I install stereos and such so I have stuff like this lying around). There is a wire, I forget what color under your seat with a protective rubber jacket around it. You plug into this wire and jump the other end of the lead to the negative terminal of your battery. By following a sequence you can enter dealer mode of the ECU and view your trouble codes. You can also then delete them. If the problem is gone it won't come back on, if it is it'll pop right back up as soon as you start the bike. Download the service manual and it explains this process. It sounds difficult but its actually fairly easy to do.

My Triumph actually has a OBDII port under the seat and you can read, delete codes with a standard reader found at pretty much all autoparts stores. You can also flash the ECU with new maps for fuel and ignition timing as well as other goodies. Wish the Kawi was this simple but nonetheless follow the instructions in the service manual and you'll be good to go.

Hope I've helped sorry for being wordy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you know where the link would be to down load the service manual? Sorry about all the questions but new at bikes, just did cars before. Thanks alot for your help bro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok did it got 4 long flashes and one quick one and that was the only code. Do you happen to know what that is?

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
do you know where the link would be to down load the service manual? Sorry about all the questions but new at bikes, just did cars before. Thanks alot for your help bro
ok, NO, cant do that here.

ok did it got 4 long flashes and one quick one and that was the only code. Do you happen to know what that is?
lemme see if i can find it.

but i dont think thats the servo...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i just took a shot at it because it was jumping teeth so i knew that it needed to be replaced anyway, well the flashes were like thiss 1...2...3...4.5 and do you know how to reset it to see if it will go away? it runs and everything just will not let me get into the powerband, but every now and then it will just go away, then come back on while i am riding, kinda weird I know, anyway thanks for all the help man. The most help that I have gotten out of any fourom

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
well i just took a shot at it because it was jumping teeth so i knew that it needed to be replaced anyway, well the flashes were like thiss 1...2...3...4.5 and do you know how to reset it to see if it will go away? it runs and everything just will not let me get into the powerband, but every now and then it will just go away, then come back on while i am riding, kinda weird I know, anyway thanks for all the help man. The most help that I have gotten out of any fourom
well, from what i can see..they dont start until 11.

so either you didnt do it right, or missed a few.

here try this

Remove the front seat (see Front Seat Removal in the

Frame chapter) and pull the self-diagnosis terminal [G].
Turn the ignition switch ON. Connect an auxiliary lead [E] for grounding to the self
-diagnosis terminal.

To enter the self-diagnosis dealer mode 1, ground [A] the
self-diagnosis terminal for more than 2 seconds [C], and
then keep it grounded continuously [D].

Count the blinks of the light (LED) to read the service
code. Keep the auxiliary lead
ground until you finish reading​
the service code.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
and this is for dealer mode #2

i think this is the one u need.

To enter the self-diagnosis dealer mode 2 repeat opening
and grounding [A] the lead more than five times [F]
within 2 seconds [C] after the lead is first grounded, and
then keep it grounded continuously [D] for more than 2
seconds.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
and to clear the codes

Enter the self-diagnosis dealer mode 2 (see Self- diagnosis
Procedures in this chapter).
NOTE

Make sure to keep the grounding until the following

opening and grounding starts.

Pull the clutch lever in more than 5 seconds, and then
release it.

Repeat opening and grounding [A] the lead [E] (self
-diagnosis terminal [G]) more than five times [F] within 2
seconds [C] after the lead is grounded, and then keep
t
grounded continuously [D] for more than 2 seconds.

but remember, if u havent FIXED the problem. it will come back right away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah that is how I did it, did the same thing, just like this 1...2...3...4.5 it is weird then it will stay blank and then go right back to that same flashing sequense so i don't know..is there a way to reset them?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts