Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gary, please don't move this post. If any member (or non-member) is interested in going to Deal's Gap next year with us, post up here and let us know. We are trying to get as many members as possible. For all those who always say we should get together once a year (including me) and ride, here's your chance. The more people we get, the cheaper it will be.

The trip will probably take place on a weekend in June, but nothing is set in stone. Any and all comments are welcome.

Please read all of cyberdos's posts below. He has done a good job of organizing our mess, and I'm sure most of your questions will be answered there.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Official "To Do" List
1.Pick out specific date. Done. We have decided to go on May 14-17, 2004.
2.Ask for those days off from work NOW!
3.Get in touch with your “Regional Contact” and let them know of your intention to go and if you will be getting together with them on your way there. Regional Contacts are as follows: Northeast-cyberdos, South-MotorcykleAsh, Southwest-mred, Lodging & Accomodations-TommyV
4.Send an email to cyberdos ([email protected]) with your contact Information including, Your full name, email, home and/or cel phone number, and location.Also an Emergency Contact Person which we could get a hold of in case something was to happen to you. Cyberdos is in charge of these contact lists and we might be printing out stickers to put on our helmets for safety purposes.
5.Make reservations well ahead of time. TommyV is scouting out some chalets around the Dragon area. Since he's relatively close, he'll make sure there is ample parking, find best routes, make sure no other events are going on, i.e. "Rod Run" or "Harley Convention"). There will be a thread that will have a choice of several chalets that we could be staying at.
6.Determine an initial meeting place. Once the accommodations are set in stone we will be determining this location.
7.Ask someone that has a trailer to go with your group just in case something was to happen. If no trailer, then at least a car or van should be going with every region to carry our clothes, food, beverages and other items.
8.Prepare for a good time

***I'm just cutting and pasting ideas from you guys. So keep em coming***

Gear & Equipment to bring:
1.Full Leathers. If not then use your judgment but remember that safety is a big issue when tackling The Dragon
2.Back brace. It's a long haul and some of us if not all could benefit from a little support.
3.Earplugs.
4.Name tags.
5.First Aid Kit
6.Cameras
7.Plug kit.
8.Windscreen cleaner.

***I will continue to update these lists once the suggestions start rolling and this starts materializing.***

Links

http://tailofthedragon.com/

http://www.ridedealsgap.com/vid/dragonvol1.mov

http://homepage.mac.com/terry_m/iMovieTheater6.html

http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10779

If you are interested please go to the Sign up sheet:
http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10779

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if we get twenty or so members to commit now, and ask off work now, it'll be hard to forget about it over the winter. Riding is all I think about when the cold comes in!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
that's right, us North East guys are the original Dragon Slayers!!!!All the rest of your are imposters!!!!!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
too many Dragon threads going on here...I think it might be hard to make sure everyone is aware of the plans...

perhaps create a new master Dragon thread in the Events and Rides/USA section so everyone can just post there instead of breaking it up into small parts. You can just end these threads with a link to the new area...

just a though....

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the name of this thread, so maybe we'll get some more traffic. For those who want to go with us next year, drop a line here and let us know.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If ANYONE is interested in going, don't wait until the last minute!!!!!!!! Send cyberdos or myself a PM so we can get this thing organized before January.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Posted by TommyV:
If you guys want, I'll scout some chalets out and see if I can find a good deal on one. By the way, the reason I'm pushing a chalet so much is for two reasons: one, most of them have hot tubs and pool tables, and two, I know several people who have gone down there, rented a hotel room, left their bikes outside, and the bikes got stolen. A TON of bikes are down there during the warm season, and I would rather rent a chalet where we have our own driveway, possibly our own garage, where we can keep a close eye on our shit.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Posted by TommyV:

Ok, I checked a few websites, and the general consensus is this.......chalets are expensive, this is a fact. However, if we get one that sleeps twelve people, who says we can't have twenty in there? I'll sleep on the floor to save some money! I found several very elaborate cabins/chalets for reasonable prices considering we'll get a game room, hot tub, fully equipped kitchen, etc. There's even one website with a NASCAR themed chalet. Check it out here at www.smokymtncabins.com

According to this website, the best weekend rates I forsee will be in June, when it also should not be raining.

Here's my idea. We get a totally decent chalet for about $400 a night which will COMFORTABLY sleep 12-16 people. If we stay on a Friday and Saturday night, that's $800 total. Divide that by 12 people, and you get roughly $67 dollars a person. That is a totally decent price, I think. If we get more people than 12, like say, 20, then it would be $40 a person.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
The best post by TommyV yet:
I am prepared to make small sacrifices for the board members who wish to go. I don't think it will be necessary for anyone to send me any money.

How's this....I will make reservations in the beginning of January. We should have a date set by then, and those who want to go should know wether or not they will be able to make it. I will get a chalet with enough room to accomodate ALL who are going, and will front the money out of my pocket. When the time arrives, we will all meet in Tennessee, and everyone can pay me then. That way, no one has to worry about checks getting lost in the mail, or me running off with everyone's money. I will not accept a dime from anyone unless it's in person. If, for some reason, people back out or can't make it due to unexpected circumstances, they have no obligation to pay me. This might not be the smartest thing I've ever done, but hey, it's only money, you can't take it with you, and by God, it'll be worth every cent to watch Andy get drunk and hit on Ash in person

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a picture of the Tree of Shame at the end of Deal's Gap. Not that I'm trying to scare anybody off or anything:D

Seriously fellas, this place is better than going to Disneyland three times in one week! We'll have a good time, good drinks, and good laughs. Now sign the fuck up!;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Originally posted by TommyV
Gary, please don't move this post. If any member (or non-member) is interested in going to Deal's Gap next year with us, post up here and let us know. We are trying to get as many members as possible. For all those who always say we should get together once a year (including me) and ride, here's your chance. The more people we get, the cheaper it will be.

The trip will probably take place on a weekend in June, but nothing is set in stone. Any and all comments are welcome.
were its this place!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deal's Gap is on the Tennessee, North Carolina border. It is actually a part of highway 129 that has 318 curves in 11 miles. Follow some of the links in cyberdos's post, or check out tailofthedragon.com for more info. We are planning a trip for next season if you want to go.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.