Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 06 ZX6R (My dream bike) a month back and had questions as to the effects of a 5-20 chain. I understand it's a common conversion for stunters and guys who like to take the nose off the ground, as well I notice my nose pulling skyward (although my last bike was a 95 ZX6E so I have no accurate comparison of modern day supersport bikes). Reading a thread on sprockets, teeth, etc. got me thinking what the effect of the 5-20 chain itself was.

Why did Kawi put one on this bike? What is the advantage? Are they more/less fealt than on another 6 w/ the conversion?
I'd like to keep my nose down to be honest. Are there ways to do that? I am planning on purchasing a dampner, but don't think that will have effect on the light front end. Is there something I can do or should I just put mroe weight up front?

Thanks for the logical and respectful responses.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well, the 520 refers to the size of the chain. It has no effect on causing your bike to be wheelie prone. Your bike pulls wheelies due to the torque and gearing. If you want to lower the chance of lifting the front end under hard acceleration, get a smaller rear sprocket. This will take away your bottom end but give you more up top.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
my 7 came with a 525 originally. i converted to the 520(weaker chain) for less rotational mass. Since I don't stunt at all, it's plenty strong for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I jsut went to a EK 525 Chain Since i ride often i am looking to be adjusting the chain less since this one should not stretch as easy as the 520.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you buy a higher quality 520 chain the adj wont be an issue. I use a DID XVM520 chain and have never had issues with too much adjusting and that is with putting over 10,000 miles on mine and wheeling the heck out of it at times.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by Spec.
So I bought my 06 ZX6R (My dream bike) a month back and had questions as to the effects of a 5-20 chain. I understand it's a common conversion for stunters and guys who like to take the nose off the ground, as well I notice my nose pulling skyward (although my last bike was a 95 ZX6E so I have no accurate comparison of modern day supersport bikes). Reading a thread on sprockets, teeth, etc. got me thinking what the effect of the 5-20 chain itself was.

Why did Kawi put one on this bike? What is the advantage? Are they more/less fealt than on another 6 w/ the conversion?
I'd like to keep my nose down to be honest. Are there ways to do that? I am planning on purchasing a dampner, but don't think that will have effect on the light front end. Is there something I can do or should I just put mroe weight up front?

Thanks for the logical and respectful responses.
520, 525, 530 is the size of the chain, the bigger the chain the stronger the chain (for the most part), Kawasaki in the pursuit of the lightest bike possible took the route of a 520 X Ring EK chain as OEM. While in the past some people light make the arugment that 520 chain will not stand up to the abuse of a "race" bike, but with todays techonology it is no longer a valid arguments for anything less then a liter Supersport bike. If you look at the tensile strength for the stock EK chain, it is more then enough to stand the abuse of the liter bike, but for the reason of covering their ass they put the 520 on the 6 and 525 on the 10. If you feel that the OEM chain is some how not up to your standard(even though the 6R chain is better then other 6's OEM chain) you can always get a aftermarket 520 Race chain. On my 03 636 I have the RK 520 GWVX Double X-Ring Gold Race chain, the tensile strenth is high enough to it past all requirements for liters, so i say it is safe for the power of the 6.

As for the chain playing a part in keeping your front end down, while it may have an effect switching to a 525 or 530, it will probably have the effect you are thinking. Basically all you are doing is adding rotational mass, which can be easly accomplish wy adding some weigh on the wheels, but who would want to do that. So instead of playing with the chain size or even sprocket setup I suggest learning throttle control, if you ever hit the race track you will know that throttle control is as (more on some bikes) important then power. So feather the clutch, learn to throttle control and try leaning forward to put weight on the front end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.