Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an electrical problem with my 2000 ZX9R, that I hope someone can help diagnose.
A few weeks ago, I notice that there seemed to be an intermittent loss of electrical power noticed by lights, turn signals and gages not always showing full and normal power while ridding. I thought it might be the battery and took it in for replacement. I was told, after testing, that my current battery was fine. I reinstalled and charged it back up. No more problems until last night.
Bike started and ran fine for first 10 minutes. I stopped for gas and it failed to restart after 2 minutes of being turned off. With starter engaged bike did not turn over and just made a clicking sound that came from under seat. I took off seat and sound seemed to be coming from the fuse box. Battery, fuses and all electrical connections seemed good. All were taken apart and checked or confirmed tight. Still nothing but clicking when starter was engaged.
I had my wife bring jumper cables, and it started immediately. As soon as the jumper cables were disconnected, bike stopped like you turned off the key. This was repeated numerous times, always starting immediately with external battery connected and died immediately when jumper cables taken off. The battery could still light up the gages on it's own.
It seems like current battery isn't getting charged or some other electrical problem after the battery. Please help with ideas on what to check and how to fix it.
Thanks for your help.
Mike

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Its either your stator or rectifier. Each one will cause those symptoms. Rectifier is under the tail and the stator in the left crankcase. Each one is quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Charge up your battery. Then read across the battery with the ignition turned off and it should read just over 12v(maybe 12.4). Start and run the engine, now read across the battery and it should read over 13v (Maybe 13.4). If it still shows 12v give it some gas and see if it goes over 13v. If you never see over 13v your charging system is dead. Start there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Charge up your battery. Then read across the battery with the ignition turned off and it should read just over 12v(maybe 12.4). Start and run the engine, now read across the battery and it should read over 13v (Maybe 13.4). If it still shows 12v give it some gas and see if it goes over 13v. If you never see over 13v your charging system is dead. Start there.
Question, I'm fighting an issues like this also. Check the voltage and it reading 13+ at engine idle. Once the throttle is turn, the voltage goes down. Trying figure out is that the stator or rectifier maybe going bad. Or the battery is bad and not holding a charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts