Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no electrician (my father is, but he won't even look at my bike bc he hates that I own one..haha) and I'm trying to install rear turn signals on my bike ('03 636). I picked up these LED lights and tested them out, but what's fucking everything up is that my frame sliders are also LED turn signals.. When I hook them up and turn the blinkers on, the whole blinking pattern gets fucked up and my whole battery drains and I have to jumpstart it....I don't think there would be a problem at all if I had regular frame sliders, but I don't wanna get rid of the LEDs. Isn't there some kind of box (I've heard) or something that can solve this? Or some other solution? Also, anyone 'have/can direct me to' the electrical schematics for my bike?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Blinking too fast?
You'll either need to wire 8 ohm high power resistors paraller for each turn signal or you could get an electric "non-sensing" flasher relay to keep the flashing constant (my fav route).

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
This makes NO sense. LED's only work in one polaric direction. They DO NOT use much more than low miliamps (50-200mah) @ 12-13 vdc and should NOT kill your battery even if left on over night.

You sir, have other electrical issues.

·
Registered
266 Posts
^^ hes right. something else is at play. did you put the frame sliders in? might want to look that stuff over. what kind of led's are they?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Something has to be grounding itself to the frame and draining your battery from the turn signal circuit. Even a good amount of bright LEDs can be left on for hours if not days with a battery as large as our bikes.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
So does it have to be 8ohm? I read somewhere to wire a 10ohm...Just got my led for the front and they blink the "burnout" warning...

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
No. There is no resistor necessary. The LEDs won't pass enough current to burnout or cause a melt. You have other electrical issues that are at hand, and it is apparent that you are probably not mechanically inclined. Your best bet to save time and money is to take your bike to a qualified technician and have it done right. We can't fix your electrical nightmare over the interwebz. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
LED installation 101...

Incandescent bulb flash rate (which is what most signal light systems are from the factory) is determined by load on the circuit that makes the flasher unit cycle on/off a certain rate. By installing LEDs in the circuit you reduce the load (resistance) on the circuit which increases the flash rate because the flasher unit is a thermal unit that requires resistance to cycle properly. LEDs are low resistance and therefore will flash the lights as if the load were reduced on the circuit the same as a burnt bulb will do.

Solution 1) Complicated - install a load on the circuit (resistors) or

Solution 2) Simple - buy a replacement solid state (electronic) flasher unit like this...http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm#Standard_DOT_Flasher

Any questions?

The battery dying could be something entirely different. Your battery could be FUBAR. Try isolating the individual circuits and wire them one at a time making sure each one works before moving on the next one.

Habs

·
Registered
177 Posts
as many others have said if its draining your battery you have more than just a LED turn signal issue...

either the battery is bad or you have a short somewhere causing this issues..

I am sure your dad can see past the bike if its for your own safety get him involved or his lack of assistance my contribute to you becoming a Statistic in motorcycle accidents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts