Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my tank off to do some things and noticed that I have 3 tubes coming out of my gas tank 1 of which goes to the charcoal canister I think. Is this emissions equipment able to be removed since my exhaust and pair valve are already done away with?
Will it signal any error codes?
Isn't this a California model thing? I'm in New York, I didn't think we had that kind of crap.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes it's a california thing. Rip all that shit out plug it up and be done with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just out of curiosity, what will fail me on inspection? I think that's a clear enough question, but maybe I'll try to be more exact. I have an aftermarket exhaust, PCV/Autotune, PAIR valve blocked and am going to be removing the charcoal canister. Will this fail me?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what will fail me on inspection? I think that's a clear enough question, but maybe I'll try to be more exact. I have an aftermarket exhaust, PCV/Autotune, PAIR valve blocked and am going to be removing the charcoal canister. Will this fail me?
No clue, never lived in an inspection state.

Look up your state's checklist, should be out on the internet somewhere.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dude - one of the hoses is a breather hose, and one is for an overfill situation. The excess fuel will be routed down from the nipple. Not the best idea to remove - and fuel is then dumped on top of the hot engine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not what I was looking to achieve. I'll leave it be. Not hurting anyone where it is right now.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Dude - one of the hoses is a breather hose, and one is for an overfill situation. The excess fuel will be routed down from the nipple. Not the best idea to remove - and fuel is then dumped on top of the hot engine.
The pollution control canisters are easily removed, and if you want to re-install them for a vehicle check or whatever it's a piece of cake.

As for the short overflow tube that runs to the canister; simply replace with a longer breather tube and route it so that it drains under the bike and not onto the engine.

The canisters have nothing to do with the performance of the bike. On my Versys I removed the canisters and use the space under the plastic cover to store my tire repair kit.

Ride On!

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's what the big, obnoxious black box on the left side of my ER-6N is as well! Maybe NYC has adopted the Cali code because that is where I am.

Does anyone have instructions to remove this?

You don't really need instructions- you can remove it with the basic tools that came with your bike. But as mentioned earlier in the thread, recommend you purchase a longer vent tube to replace the short one that goes from gas tank to canister.
Job done!
T

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So this will essentially give us 2 vent tubes? And just plug the middle tube?
I'm just leaving it in place for this year I believe. If it doesn't rob power I see no need to do so at this point. Maybe next year after I've ridden for a while with the knee cowls off if I like the way it looks. Cosmetics.
But for now, it's just there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts