Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies and I were just talking bikes and shooting the shit the other day and somehow it got brought up whether we were more of a engine breaker or do I tend to coast before stops. Next time riding I tried to pay attention and noticed that in town specifically in heavy trafic I tend to use engine breaking more because I find it easier in stop & go trafic to just roll the throttle off if I need to slow up, and out in the country and stuff where I can see my stop far a head I like to squeeze the clutch in and coast because is comfortable, you can rest your throttle hand and saves on breaks. What do you guys do? Just curious no real reason just wondering what others do. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I almost always blip down thru each gear while I'm braking. Sometimes I'll skip 4-2 or something like that but usually one gear at a time.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,528 Posts
My buddies and I were just talking bikes and shooting the shit the other day and somehow it got brought up whether we were more of a engine breaker or do I tend to coast before stops. Next time riding I tried to pay attention and noticed that in town specifically in heavy trafic I tend to use engine breaking more because I find it easier in stop & go trafic to just roll the throttle off if I need to slow up, and out in the country and stuff where I can see my stop far a head I like to squeeze the clutch in and coast because is comfortable, you can rest your throttle hand and saves on breaks. What do you guys do? Just curious no real reason just wondering what others do. Thanks guys.

You can save on brakes by downshifing as well. I rarely coast and I never do so by holding in the clutch lever. When approaching a stop sign/light I'll downshift through the gears and I sometimes will go from 2nd to neutral and coast but it's not too far from where I need to stop. That's just me though.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I rev match and shift down through the gears while braking. If I just need to slow down a little on the freeway or something, yea, just roll off the throttle and let the engine slow it down. If, however, there is a car behind me, I will at least put the brake lever enough to actuate the brake light even if I am using the engine to slow down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can save on brakes by downshifing as well. I rarely coast and I never do so by holding in the clutch lever. When approaching a stop sign/light I'll downshift through the gears and I sometimes will go from 2nd to neutral and coast but it's not too far from where I need to stop. That's just me though.
My post was long enough I didn't feel like elaborating more but yea when I coast 90% of the time I'm some shifting and if it's an erea with low tragic and fairly safe road conditions ill kick it in neutral and let her roll.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I tend to avoid engine breaking, since it's rather expensive to fix. Engine braking is something I use quite a bit in normal riding.

·
Registered
684 Posts
^ you're killing me.

I do both, tend to coast in neutral more, esp lane splitting to the front of a red light, don't wanna scare the cagers, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts