Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used different variations of that term to search but was unable to find anything that helped...
I noticed that my engine is making a distinctive buzz right around 7000rpm. At first, I thought it was something buzzing/shaking in near the instrument panel but I was able to hear it coming right form the engine in multiple gears, all right around the same rpm (7000).
Does anyone know what might be causing this?
As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,
Joseph

·
Registered
289 Posts
thats what i was gonna ask, it might be transmission, just check it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried it in neutral because I understand that it's not good to rev the motor like in that while in neutral due to the lack of resistance. I heard that it can be very bad for the engine to do so. But if it won't hurn I would be more than willing to give it a shot. It would probably (obviously) be a very good idea to ride it around for a while to fully warm her up though, right?

BamBam: You say to check out whether or not it's the transmission, how should I do so? The neutral revving thing mentioned above I'm assuming?

·
Registered
170 Posts
the clutch lever rattles at 7k on mine, and lots of others. Keep some pressure on the lever and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That buzzing is your transmission. You have been drag racing. no worries if u still have warranty ride the shit out of it then get it fixed if not wait until it blows up..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a simliar thing , right about 6000 rpm when cruising. Almost like an "oscilating" vibration. wasn't too awful , but definatley noticible.
A couple of hundred miles later , that weird 6000 rpm buzzing is gone...

I credit it to the engine breaking in a little bit more..

edit : (Didn't see your bike specs till after) Mine is an 08 250. Buzzed like that till 1200 miles or so

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the clutch lever rattles at 7k on mine, and lots of others. Keep some pressure on the lever and see if it goes away.
The buzz is definitely coming from down near the engine. At first I went crazy looking for where it was coming from and checked everything on the handlebars.

Drag racing? Was that post a joke bobbyhill?

@ procell... yea, the bike is (hopefully) already broken in by now.

If it is the transmission, what can I do about this buzzing and will it progress into a serious problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
08 buzzing

I have an 08 doing the same buzzing noise at 7k. I've got 2400 miles on the bike and it just started a couple hundred miles ago. Drives me nuts. What part of the transmission is it? More information please.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yea i have an 08 at about 1300 miles and its been buzzing for the past 300 of them. Its normally around 5000 rpm for me. It doesnt make the sound in neutral though. Its definately not caused by something loose vibrating. Something in the engine i guess.

·
Registered
317 Posts
yes drag racing is a joke,, But yes it is a kawi thing.. dont believe me ride another brand or get someone daring too ride it and listen, It might be only rider noise..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Strange question, but what is your fuel level when you hear the buzzing. I have the same issue on my 08 250r when the tank gets below 1/4 tank. It makes a real annoying high pitched buzz at 7000 rpm. As soon as I put fuel in it, it goes away. I am assuming there is something in the tank or the tank mounts that allow it to vibrate a bit. I am still investigating.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Strange question, but what is your fuel level when you hear the buzzing. I have the same issue on my 08 250r when the tank gets below 1/4 tank. It makes a real annoying high pitched buzz at 7000 rpm. As soon as I put fuel in it, it goes away. I am assuming there is something in the tank or the tank mounts that allow it to vibrate a bit. I am still investigating.
I first noticed it right after a fill-up and it continued to do it down to a half tank (where I filled her up again), and it continues to make the same noise.

@ bobbyhill: What do you mean by rider noise?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to and called a few dealerships to see if they even had an idea of what was going on.. They wouldn't even give me a guess unless they took it in and looked at it... Problem is that they didn't have any openings for over a month.
I really need to know what's going on.. this is making me very nervous

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it possible for you to get a vid of the noise?
hmmmm.. lol. well I'm a new rider.. Don't know if it's the best idea to try to get any vid while I'm driving. I checked earlier today and it doesn't do it in neutral.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
hmmmm.. lol. well I'm a new rider.. Don't know if it's the best idea to try to get any vid while I'm driving. I checked earlier today and it doesn't do it in neutral.
:eek:... wasn't advocating that. As nevada said, try running the cam while you run through the gears and have the cam stashed somewhere on you or on the bike. In my vid, I had the camera on the dash duct taped to the inside of the windshield as in this link... post#21
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=113055

hopefully it will pick up the noises you are talking about.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts