Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If it's been sitting for a while, and not properly stored, you might have a gummed up fuel line/clogged jet, that's making it cut out at low RPM. Does it run rough, or is it smooth at higher RPMs? At what RPM does the bike idle after it's warmed up? It should be just above 1000 rpm (1050 rpm for my '95). I'm not sure about the 99', but on mine, the idle set screw is the little black knob that's located on the right side, just above the frame, and just below where my knee rests when my foot's on the peg. Make sure the bike has been warmed, and that the choke is OFF, before you make your adjustments. My manual says it should idle around 1050 rpm, but I like mine to idle just a little higher (about 1200 rpm). Oh, and if you haven't yet, it might be a good idea to change your oil, since water can collect in it (that's why we always run our engines 'till the oil is good and hot - to vaporize any moisture in it). I'm still a newbie, too, so don't worry! This forum is definitely where to come to in order to get your questions answered! Good luck!

Keep the g's on!

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
On the 00-02's its on the left side right above the coolant resovoir (just by your left knee when riding)
I at the 99 parts diagram and its listed under carbaurator, but no good description of where it physically is.

Check if you have an adjuster by the coolant resovoir, it will have a spring on it..
If so you can turn that and you'll hear the RPM's change at idle..

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Man, I was way off! (darn newbies....!) Mine's below the frame (duh)Sorry, 99Ninja.

Keep the g's on!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys for the help. When i picked up the bike last week.. i got a copy of the service history from the previous owner..and he's changed the forks, spark plugs, and the dealer had the oil changed a week before I picked it up. So, the oil is fine and its been serviced.. BUT the engine keeps cutting off in low speeds, espically at Stop signs or red lights. I charged the battery all the way up to fully charged. I guess I will give it a shot first at playing with the IDEL switch.. also, where should I set the IDEL at? Don't want the bike to cut off at a red light again if there's hot chick behind me.:D..kinda embarassing :)Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no such thing as an "IDEL switch" as you call it. Your bike has an idle speed adjuster that you can use to adjust the idle speed.

If you check out this thread I suggested, you will find the proper idle speed for your bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a '99 ZX-6R.. its been running fine for afew days, but was sitting in the showroom for 4 months before i bought it. Just noticed yesterday when i was slowin down to 1st gear or around 10-15mph..the engine just cuts off ..did this several times..but managed to start it up again. Someone told me that I need to locte my IDEL speed switch and set it right, but the bike did not come with a manuel so I don't know where it is. Also, when I start up the bike and the choke is in normal position, it sounds like its going to cut off any second and sometimes it does. Battery has never been changed ('99 bike), but other than that..does anyone know where the IDEL switch is or answer any of these questions:)..sorry I'm a newbie...:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally posted by 99Ninja

Thanks guys for the help. When i picked up the bike last week.. i got a copy of the service history from the previous owner..and he's changed the forks, spark plugs, and the dealer had the oil changed a week before I picked it up. So, the oil is fine and its been serviced.. BUT the engine keeps cutting off in low speeds, espically at Stop signs or red lights. I charged the battery all the way up to fully charged. I guess I will give it a shot first at playing with the IDEL switch.. also, where should I set the IDEL at? Don't want the bike to cut off at a red light again if there's hot chick behind me.:D..kinda embarassing :)Thanks guys!
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I used to have my 99zx6r cut off on me when coming to a hard stop. I started thinking that i was handling the clutch really sloppy and that's why the engine was cutting off.

but a few days ago i just did a valve adjustment and a carb sync, and my bike doesn't do it anymore. My powerband is so much more smoother then when i first had it.

maybe you should check your valves and sync your carbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.