Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use the engine kill switch or the key to shut your bike off? I've read sites that say to use the engine kill switch but I know the 03 ZX6R manual says to use the key. Which is better or does it even matter?

Note: My friends CBR600RR says to use the engine kill switch...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It's mostly a case of personal preference, I think.

It's probably marginally safer to use kill switch, because you can keep both hands on the handlebars when engine is still running. Apart from emergancy situations when you have to kill the engine while on the move that's the only reason I can think of using the kill switch instead of the key...

Normally I use the key.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The only time my kill switch gets used is when I accidentally hit it while cleaning the bike. Then I wonder why the damn thing won't start sometimes.:D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Wow a topic that's never come up...i think! Sorry I had to point that out.

Ohh and I usually use the key!:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have always used the key.

Not sure if there is anything to it, but my dealer said using the kill switch continually could lead to premature failure of the switch.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Both are good choices.

The engine stop switch is for emergency use. But the MSF suggest using it so you would think of it during an emergency.

If you choose to use it, remember to also use the ignition switch to turn off all the electrical circuits.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Originally posted by jlamb30
I have always used the key.

Not sure if there is anything to it, but my dealer said using the kill switch continually could lead to premature failure of the switch.
I also usually use the key... and NO, there's nothing to what your dealer told you. The kill switch SHOULDN'T fail any sooner than the ignition switch.
Actually, as Rob stated; MSF suggests using it all the time as practice so you'll naturally just use it in the event of trouble.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I always use the kill switch. Just before I roll into where ever I'm stopping, I hit the switch and coast in. I don't much like parking and manuvering the bike while it's running or holding the clutch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I started with a FZR so I got used to using the kill switch in MSF cours now I just use the kick stand Ha Ha if it is not running it shift's in to nuetral real easy
the same gose with the frist thing I touch on a bike is the front brake before swinging my leg over:D:D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"The engine stop switch is for emergency use. But the MSF suggest using it so you would think of it during an emergency."

exactly why I use my kill switch first, then turn the bike off. It's just a habit for me now...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Forgive me! I don't remember where I heard this. You should use the key because it shuts off everything, using the switch kills the ignition but still allows the fuel pump to operate possibly causing hard starts.

I've never given it much thought and I use the switch.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Several things:

Technically, you SHOULD use the ignition kill switch and not the ignition key to shut off the engine to prevent possibly electrical damage being done to the ignition modual (ignitor box, f/i box/power commander, etc) during the momentary surge or spike caused by the loss of electricity to the components, yet the engine is still spinning. Electrical spikes are bad things, even if just for a millisecond or two.

With regards to the fuel pump, it does not run unless the engine is running. The electricity for the fuel pump is provided by a relay which is activated when the ignition system triggers the ignition coils. No signal to the ignition coils? No signal to the fuel pump. Though some motorcycles have a touch of programming to cycle the fuel pump for 2 seconds when the ignition key is first turn to the on position.

BC.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by bladecutter
Though some motorcycles have a touch of programming to cycle the fuel pump for 2 seconds when the ignition key is first turn to the on position.
Same thing on FI cars. The pump runs when you first hit the key to pressure up the rails.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, lot of good info. I still can't decide though so I think I'll just try to use both at the same time.:D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have also always used the kill switch first than the key.
When I was 17 I was told by my MSF instructor to always use the kill switch because it is easier to replace that the ignition. Although that doesn't make much sense now, I still do it in that order because I have my whole life.
I don't think it will matter which way you do it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I used to use the kill switch all the time because I was paranoid that if I turned the key off and left the kill switch ON, it would hurt something, but I've since come to the conclusion that turning the bike off with the key and leaving the kill switch on is fine. Use whichever one you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I use the key mainly so i don't forget to turn all electrics off but i've heard its not good to coast your bike with the kill switch on off not sure y maybe just a rumour....but you would be coasting if u had to use it in a emergancy so WTF?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.