Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i am disassembling my 03 636. I have no clue how to get the engine mount nuts off. They are round but have a castle nut style to them. Curious if there is a special tool or socket or something.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
there is a special tool, but a lot of people will either use and old socket, or buy a socket of the proper size, and make their own tool by cutting it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
the dealer... ebay... or improvise

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
Okay so i am disassembling my 03 636. I have no clue how to get the engine mount nuts off. They are round but have a castle nut style to them. Curious if there is a special tool or socket or something.
i dont think that has to come off.
altho it make make it easier to drop the engine. those are for centering/aligning the engine within the frame.

you need to remove the bolt that goes INSIDE of that nut. should be an allen.
unless that bike is different than others ive seen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope don't see an allen anywhere on em the lower one has a nut and a smaller bolt then a bigger bolt with this castle pos on it too

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
yeh, thats the adjuster. you should have to take that out.
just pull the mount bolt.

but, you could use a screwdriver, and lightly tap it, to loosen it a bit. shouldnt take much, AFTER the mount bolt is out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well right side does not have one. This motor is coming off this frame and going to another frame, so adjustments don't matter. Is there anyway to break this shit loose?

·
Registered
18 Posts
you will need to take them off to get the engine out, the engine will sag slightly and then bind, there will be no way to remove it unless you have some manner of perfectly dropping it vertically with no horizontal shift.

Theres a big fat hollow bolt that goes into the frame and it has a flush wide flat area that presses up agains the engine. The castle nut tightens down on this once it has been adjusted to snug up against the block. Then your frame slider bolts thread through the hollow bolt and have a nut on the back side of the engine block if I remember correctly.

There is a special tool, the kawasaki service manual (not the owners manual) identifies the part number. A bit of googling and you could probably find it. I made my own tool with an old socket as previously mentioned, but i scratched the @$!# out of the nut in the process because the corners were too round (didn't have a narrow enough grinder).

·
Registered
18 Posts
636, that picture u posted is of the lower bolt. That is one big long bolt that goes all the way across, The allen should be on the opposite side.

For the frame slider bolts, there is one on each side, as I described in my post above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts