Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine Oil, Buildup inside cap

590 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Roo 
#1 ·
Took my oil cap off yesterday to top up my engine oil, and noticed
a very foamy build up inside the cap like very well whipped egg yolks, never seen it before..

Was using Motul 5100 15W 50

Then changed to Motul 5100 10W 40 <---- thats when i noticed the foamy buildup.

Could it mean that the 10W 40 oil isn't dealing with engine wear?cheers

#5 ·
its full, but not overfull, doesn't show to be above the max overfill line when looking through the viewing window at an upright bike.

My clutch was also crunching quite loudly when i changed gear (well louder than usual) so i added another 100 ml of oil or so, re lubed the chain (which i keep well lubed) and the sound died down.

i'm always friggen pedantic about any sound i hear coming from my bike that sounds unusual or out of place.

#6 ·
I don't know, but it sounds like my sisters car, all that needed was to get up to proper operating temperature from time to time, and then the egg yolkish stuff was gone...

#7 ·
It is actually just moisture buildup inside the crankcase. An old very untrue wivestale was that it is an indication that you have a blown head gasket but that is a complete pharse. Most vehicles get driven long enough to burn the moisture out of the crankcase and therefore never exhibit the milky substance on the oil cap. But, those that ride a lot of short distances will never get hot enough to evaporate all the moisture out and it will collect on any surface above the oil level. It turns milky looking because oil gets splashed around as the engine is running and it will mix with the condensation. The condensation tself is relatively harmless, but it is an indicator that you arent driving the bike long enough which eventually will cause some other small problems like fouling plugs and buildup in the fuel components. I would recommend a decent ride every now and then to get the whole bike nice and warm just to keep everything in shape. The more any gasoline powered sits or is driven short distances is actually worse than putting on lots of mileage.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.