Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again guys

Yep you guessed it, I've just bought a new bike hence a few wee questions !

Can anyone advise - can the side engine protection bars (long horizontal silver 'uns) be removed simply by undoing the fixing bolts ? Most seem to be connected to general "strong points" to protect the engine in a crash hence they should just unbolt, but there is one bolt either side that connects diectly to the engine casing - therefore does the engine need to be supported when these are removed or can they be undone and the bars removed without disoldging the engine

Cheers

G

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're talking about frame sliders. The short answer is yes, the long answer says you'll need the stock shorter bolts. You'll also need to support the motor while you remove the bolts.

Why do you want to pull off the frame sliders?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mornin' mate

I would like to take them off to get them sprayed black. Mine are the standard silver and I MUCH prefer the black, its an easy mod that makes a big differance, to my eye atleast.

Long & short it wont be ridden whilst they are off so i'm trying to find out if the engine needs suporting to remove the sliers when level & stationary in the garage

G

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ah gotcha. I'd support it because I'm paranoid about it, but if you're not as paranoid as me, you can remove one side, put the bolt back in (without tightening it), then remove the other side and put the bolt back in as well so you don't have to support the motor at all.

Or you could be cheap like me, go to your local hardware store and get a can of plastidip (they make it in spray cans), put some newspaper around the bike so that it doesn't overspray on it, and spray them. Plus when you get tired of the color, you can peel it right off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts