Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 6R with about 35,000 miles on it, and it still is running pretty damn good. I am just wondering how long these engines last, and how to tell when it is time to rebuild it?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Without any problems, 100K is not out of the question. All depends on how hard it's ridden and how well it's been taken care of.

It's time to rebuild when it starts knocking or burning oil, but maybe not even then. If the walls are not scored, then you can easily get by with a overhaul, although I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
my friends 2000 R1 is going in for a engine overhaul. says they are going to the basic stuff to prevent any further oil burn up. he has 35k miles on and says its going to cost about $1k. has anyone else had their engine rebuilt and how mych was it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
my 98 zx7 had 40k on it and it ran great and strong. 2 of the intake valves were getting out of adjustment alot faster the the others.that means the valve is sinking into the head.well the valve was mushrooming casing the shims to be adjusted .i took the hoke motor apart and rebuild it,cost me 1100 bucks.BUT i replaced all 32 valves thinking if 2 were bad others would be getting there to.64 new springs,i ported and polished the head,it took a month every day after work and did a 5angle v/job.decked the jug to where the sqush was .0027 honed the cylinders with new ring sand in the bottem there was alittle wear in #2 rod.replaced all bearings and seals,all 3 chains and i think that was it.you have look for idcounted parts,O and all parts were factuey kawasaki parts A MUST !!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't mean to be rude but this is the closest thread I could find for a rebuilt motor question so I figured my post can go here. So this is my question: Does anyone know of a site or shop I can buy a rebuilt EX 500R motor from? I didn't find one in Miami, but if anyone knows of one here, please drop me a line.

The back story is this, and I am sure some of you will be ROTFL or just shaking your heads in pitty halfway through this (assuming you bother to read this sad story):

Okay, so I took the class Nov '03 and got my license endorsed "Motorcycle Also" in Dec 03. I started looking around for a used bike. I end up buying my first bike in Aug '04, a 1999 EX 500R, from a co-worker for $500 USD with the full knowledge that the same engine was blown three times aready in 13.6K miles. I figured this was a good, although expensive way, to find out how tolerant I will be about maintaining a new bike. (No, I'm not rich, just like getting my hands dirty.)

After 8 Saturdays of ripping it a part I found it to be in great shape accept for the warped head. (Now wishing I had just gotten the head shaved and slapped back on.) I also found out it probably blew the third time because the mechanic that rebuilt it dropped one of the dowl pins in the motor. It apparently made its way between the chain and crank gear and then jumped the timing. (I just don't understand why anyone bolts on the pan before the rebuild is done.) Anyway I made an attempt at rebuilding it myself instead of spending a Gee on a mechanic.

Bought almost $400 in gaskets, rings and pistons (broke one of the piston heat transfer fines, doh!, so I bought two to have a "matching" pair), crush washers, and replacement bolts, and another $80 to have the head shaved. On top of that had to re-thread three cam cap bolt holes and the oil-line hole under the generator rotor. At this point I am frustrated and feeling like this is only the beginning of bad news.

After 24 Saturdays (and a few late weeknights) of rebuilding, I FINALLY got it into the frame and started. And guess what, oil leak. Actually it was more of an oil flood (I am screaming at this point, but too stubborn to stop now). The oil is pouring from one spot, the oil supply line bolt under the starter. Seems simple enough so I am not giving up just yet.

First I order a new crush washer again, a week passes and nope, still the flood continues. Ok, I order a replacement bolt. This takes another week out of potential riding time. When I get the bolt, I notice that it is the same one that I used for the supply line under the generator rotor. Hmmm, interesting? And before you say it, I bagged and labeled all the bolts according to each part that I took off so this is not my mix-up. I have my own blunders to take credit for. Anyway come this past Friday, I try to switch the bolts, and just my luck, I end up cracking the the bolt hole under the generator. (Are we laughing histerically yet?)

I bet you think I packed it up then and there. Guess again, I just can't let it go. Bike Week ends next weekend and I want to ride it around Daytona, even if I have to tow it up there in my truck just so that I don't get stranded. (Are we sensing my lack of confidence?) So I put the other bolt back in there and put in the new identical bolt were it belongs. I start it and finally leak free. :)

I am feeling pretty happy now so I shut it down, add back a quart of oil, fill the radiator (I know, probably should have done this before I even started it the first time, but wait for it...), put on the exhaust and then all the fairings except the lower. I start it up again and go through the full check of lights, indicators, horn (sorry sleeping neighbors) and then shift from neutral to first and then to second and then back to first, and then back to second (neutral is in there somewhere, ah there you are.)

All seems good to me and since the engine is all warmed up now I decide to go through all the gears. Beautiful sound this motor makes as it revs up. Can hardly wait for morning. I shut it down and say to myself, "I think I will put on the lower fairing and chain covers and then call it a night." And so I proceed. Lower fairing on and about ready to put on the chain covers when a strange feeling tells me to look at the oil sight glass. And low and behold what do we have here? You guessed it, the mirky, yellowish-white puss like suds of oil and water mixed together. :( :( :(

I hope, that if I annoyed anyone by posting this here, that you are ammused by my misfortune. Your being ammused will help me laugh at it now instead of years later. And please do me the favor of supplying a url or phone number to a shop that I can order a rebuilt EX 500 motor from.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
don, I'm sorry to do this, but you just reminded me of this. There's a sign at a local bike repair shop:

Labor Rate - $50/hr
Labor Rate if you watch - $60/hr
Labor Rate if you help - $70/hr
Labor Rate if you fixed it first - $80/hr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.