Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 ZX6R. In cool weather it runs great. But when the temp gets above 85 outside, the engine stalls. It still has electrical power and will turn over, but the engine will not fire up fir 2 to 20 minutes. If it starts right up it will die quickly. Any thoughts?

Night Rider

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Stick a can of starting fluid in the trunk. The next time it does it spray the starting fluid in the air intake. If nothing happens when you try to start it, it is an ignition problem. If it fires up for a second it is fuel related.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi, swjohnsey.

Why did you recommended the starting fluid on the intake? Is it because of the carb icing? If so, I guess I should not worry about anything like that, since my 636 has the coolant flowing around the carbs to heat them up and help vaporise the gasoline. Is that correct?

Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
No, I don't think it is carb icing. It is just a diagnostic trick. If it is a fuel problem spraying the starting fluid will cause the engine to start and run for a second. If it is an electrical problem nothing will happen. It is a lot easier than trying to pull a plug lead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its was the CDI or black box. At warm temp's the resistor's would give. Instead of reading 600 ohms, like when cold, it would read open. Activating the anti theft device, causing the engine to quit firing and the tach to turn off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.