Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heya guys, just looking for info on the tools needed to go stripping an engine, got a crashed zx6r engine on the cheap so figured id learn something or even get it going by stripping it and having a look myself, who knows may make a nice sittingroom ornament out of it! , just want to know about the tools needed, I'm not a mechanic dunce now, i have a good toolbox but as far as piston, valve, ring, removal etc, all the non day to day stuff, whats needed? can you buy a set from like tengtools or something?
thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
If all your worried about is getting it apart, a big hammer will do.

You may need to use a flywheel puller, Vavle spring compressor and a gear puller. If you have a good tool box, then you should have all the tools to take it apart. If you plan on putting it back together and running, you will need some more special tools (piston ring compressers, GOOD torque wrenchs and a shop manual).

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Since your not really aiming to do anything but break it down for fun I'd say get tools as you need them as you go. If you decide not to tear down certain things you can omit buying special tools to do so, like a valve spring compressor if your not gonna bother taking out the individual valves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts