Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had a great ZX9R! I got it for cheap after it had been down and completely restored it, I did all the fairings and tank in High gloss black with a silver flake and the Frame and wheels in a sunburst gold. All done in my own garage by my own hands: first time. Two weeks later, I was T-boned off it by a ford explorer.
I have the bike now, and no salvage title. I stripped the plastics and ride it until I can get another decent bike. It rides straight and only has a ding in the tank and frame on the right side. Really small.
The problem is that I got it back on the road and it will pull fairly clean through 1st, and then it will stutter throughout the rest of the range, and it gets worse as you go up gears. It had sat for 3 months so I just drained the carbs, and it got a little better (some water in there) I am going to totally drain the tank next and get the carbs synched. After that I am out of ideas.
Any clue what would make it buck like that? If I use the throttle 'all or nothing' it will pick up and build speed... FAST, but I can not modulate it at all. I spent the whole time trying not to let it stall. But it starts and idles strong. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!!
I will have to resize a pic to put one up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got that from a friend as well, and forgive my asking another question, but where does that hook up? I have the body work off and right now the air intake ducts sticking out of the frame are all that I have left. The chin intake is gone. Will that really effect it? Or is there another hose I am forgetting?
Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
the chin intake does matter i had put mine together with nothing going from the 2 horns to the chin. but it just made my bike fill dogish compared to having the full ram air or just no front fairing

you will not get the air flow need to the horn covering the horns as seen in the photo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so is there a trick to rigging the chin spoiler? Is that what you mean, my front end looks like that, without the twin hoses after the air cleaner for the front under the gauges.
And it is way more then just dogging it. It actually stutters and bucks. Even if I give it the berries (full bore) just j...jjj....j..jjjust picks up. at half throttle it dies slowly, trying to kick me off.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
If all this happened after the accident, I would say there is something missing in the ram-air ducting that got messed up, or you might have forgotten something upon reassembly. They don't run right at all if the ram-air isn't hooked up properly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
maybe try with the front end off see what it does that would be one way to test and see. and check under the tank on that section of the ram air system make sure its all there. the part under the tank is a must for the bike

·
Registered
65 Posts
those two smaller black hosses in the center are the air presure "meters" to the carbs, it tells them how much gas/fuel to give the motor, in your picture they are pointed straight out, but i have a suspision that changes once you're moving, they are usualy plugged into the back of the "chin Scoops". you need to put your fairing on i suspect to make it work properly again, or do some customizing with some duct tape or something to keep those pipes pointed straight in front. bet ya money that's the problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
thats my photo from when i was working on my bike. not the guy asking the question, i just pet them up there so he could see what i was talking about.

sword seven any bike with a ram air system will not run properly with out the hoses. Due to not getting prober air fuel mix your bike is not burning fuel properly. i bet you are getting bad back fires from the fuel that is sitting in you exhaust system due to your issue

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry, was away for the weekend.
I am attacking the problem tomorrow. I will try to tape those hoses straight. (my front end looks just like that) While I am at it, we will probly do a carb clean and balance so, I will update. Thanks for all your suggestions. Keep you posted

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A classic case of 'I don't know'
A bunch of us tore the engine down to the carbs and could find nothing wrong, put it back together and son-of-a-bitch, it ran. No problems. If anything, it really feels stronger. I guess there was a vacuum hose lose or something. It looks nasty, but I love having my 9 back! Thanks for all your input.

poppa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts